When the weather turns cold and we switch from the cooler to the furnace...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
it's time for the annual feline pukaroma! The first day we use the furnace triggers all the cats to puke. I guess it is the shift from constant fresh air to recycled air that gets them. Every year. They have year-round access to the screen porch but I guess it's more fun to hang out inside and puke.

No pics/videos/soundtracks though the soundtrack is marginally epic.

OmegaSupreme

Nov 3, 2012
Are their food dishes constantly filled with food? If so, they probably gorge on the food, then when their stomachs are too full they puke it up. I had to stop giving my cat free access to his food because of that.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Are their food dishes constantly filled with food? If so, they probably gorge on the food, then when their stomachs are too full they puke it up. I had to stop giving my cat free access to his food because of that.

Pets should never be given free access to food anyways. It's just bad ownership.

OmegaSupreme

Nov 3, 2012
Pets should never be given free access to food anyways. It's just bad ownership.

My old cat, a Russian Blue, had free access to his food all the time. He never gorged and he was very healthy. He was also very big, approximately 16lbs. And not fat at all.

So it just depends on the animal.

But now you've got ne thinking, if some animals shouldn't have free access to food, then shouldn't some people also be barred from free access to food as well? ;)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Change your filter, dude!

Some pets won't eat themselves into obesity, others will. They seem to be better about it before they get fixed. My parents always left food out and the pets never got fat, but I can't leave food out or my cats will eat it all.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
My cat won't even eat all her food.
She'll be hungry and refuse to eat the bits in her bowl that she didn't eat before unless we add more food.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My cat won't even eat all her food.
She'll be hungry and refuse to eat the bits in her bowl that she didn't eat before unless we add more food.

Haha my cat is like that, it has to be fresh. :p She wont drink from her bowl either. Has to be cold running water from the tap. Spoiled brat lol.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
My old cat, a Russian Blue, had free access to his food all the time. He never gorged and he was very healthy. He was also very big, approximately 16lbs. And not fat at all.

So it just depends on the animal.

But now you've got ne thinking, if some animals shouldn't have free access to food, then shouldn't some people also be barred from free access to food as well? ;)

It's not an animal obesity issue, it's a dominance and control issue. If you give your animal food they know that you are in control of the food and are in control of them. This is especially true of dogs.

Now, for humans, it's the same. People are given food stamps so they always know who is ultimately in control. :p

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
my cats only seem to have gotten lazier, started using the wood burning stove just about a week ago

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's not an animal obesity issue, it's a dominance and control issue. If you give your animal food they know that you are in control of the food and are in control of them. This is especially true of dogs.

Now, for humans, it's the same. People are given food stamps so they always know who is ultimately in control. :p

I REALLY want to like your theory. It's appealing on a couple levels, but I just don't see it in practice. Maybe with dogs, but less so with cats, and MUCH less so with people :^D

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006

Na giving them phones is how you show them who is in charge.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
It is possible that your pets are being poisoned by natural gas or propane. Mercaptan is mixed into NG & LPG as a leak detector and in sufficient quantity it will give you and animals headache and possibly induce vomiting.

The next level is asphyxiation that lead to death in your own bed, and/or explosion.

Or, your house is a parvovirus incubator.

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
It's probably just the asbestos breaking loose in the heater. Nothing to worry about. :)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm..

That's definitely a little strange. I would follow up with that, maybe test for contaminants in the furnace ducting, or a partially clogged burner or something. I'd look at this like the animals are being your canary, something is wrong with the air coming out of the furnace.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Haha my cat is like that, it has to be fresh. :p She wont drink from her bowl either. Has to be cold running water from the tap. Spoiled brat lol.

This is why I prefer dogs. They'll eat or drink anything you put in front of them. Whether it's good for them or not.

Do you have a carbon-monoxide detector? Your cats could be suffering from CO poisoning. Might not be enough to affect you but they have little bodies and breath at a faster rate. One of the symptoms is nausea and vomiting. Since it only happens when you turn the furnace on, that's what tipped me off.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Do you have a carbon-monoxide detector? Your cats could be suffering from CO poisoning. Might not be enough to affect you but they have little bodies and breath at a faster rate. One of the symptoms is nausea and vomiting. Since it only happens when you turn the furnace on, that's what tipped me off.

:whiste:

I beat you by 4 minutes :colbert:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
It is possible that your pets are being poisoned by natural gas or propane. Mercaptan is mixed into NG & LPG as a leak detector and in sufficient quantity it will give you and animals headache and possibly induce vomiting.

The next level is asphyxiation that lead to death in your own bed, and/or explosion.

Or, your house is a parvovirus incubator.

Uhh...if you have a natural gas leak, mercaptan is the LEAST of your worries.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
there must be some bad stuff happening when you turn that thing on.

anyway why do you use the AC until you have to heat, that sounds weird.