When the hell did this happen?

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong...........but on newegg.com

The fastest Intel processor is cheaper than the fastest AMD processor..............and the Intel processor is known to be a better performer?

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: amdforever2

The fastest Intel processor is cheaper than the fastest AMD processor..............and the Intel processor is known to be a better performer?

Its cause those money grubbin bastages are trying to rape poor little amd
/ goes and gives AMD a hug.

-Xionide

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001

At least AMD mobos are a still a bit cheaper.......:D

It kind of looks like AMD only has the low-end on price/performance (unless you count that most of their low end chips like the +1700 overclock to high end speeds, but if you are not an overclocker then.........).

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002

When AMD puts on their stupid hat, bad things happen.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
sure, go ahead and switch to the Dark Side of the Farce, aka Intel. Then you'll go to upgrade, and they will bend you over and hyperthread your a$$! :p

Naruto

Jan 5, 2003
Maybe its because no one is buying the barton 3200+ when you can get the barton 2500+ or T-bred B chips to the same level of performance.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
And Cyrix's fastest processor is a lot less than either. :)

AMD's prestige, top-of-the-line processor sometimes goes for more than Intel. I think this is supply vs. demand. AMD can't deliver in quantity the highest speed at first. I remember when AMD's K6 233 went for slightly more than Intel's Pentium 233. Usually it has come down within a few months, but lately the pricing has persisted. Maybe AMD is getting some pricing power after all these years with a good product.

Remember, it doesn't cost any more to produce the highest speeds (unless it's a new design or process); they are just able to charge more. Marketing is complex. The idea of a prestige line is to pull up the price of the rest of the line, where the bulk of the sales are. When people see "Intel inside" they think they have a bit of a zoomy P4 even if it is a Celeron. (Make no mistake; Athlon 64s are going to be expensive initially.)

Put it this way: People who must have the best are fools about their money. If you aren't like that, you are going against people like that.

Pricewatch:
Athlon 3000+ $244.
P4 3.0 $396, $152 more