When playing video games interferes with real life.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm currently having this issue. I'm playing video games for much longer than intended. I have a difficult time going to bed on time. I'm waking up in bad moods. I don't go to the gym, eat like crap and repeat the process when I get home. Weekends are sometimes a haze of me playing Skyrim for hours on end.

I've tried using apps like Cold Turkey. I've tried using timers. I've tried decreasing my playing time and I've tried playing games that take less commitment. Skyrim is one of those games that can suck hours out of your life. The next thing you know you've spent 500 plus hours fighting skeltons and sleeping in a tent.

I have a love hate relationship with gaming. I've been thru Nintendo, Playstation, PS2, PS3, Xbox, PC gaming from the early days of Half Life to today, PSP, PSP Go, Sega, and Android gaming. Everytime I go thru the typical cycle.

*Craving to play video games kicks in
*Start looking at video games online
*I purchase system
*Start gaming
*Hours quickly increase
*Depression starts increasing. Feel like I'm wasting my life.
*Depression and anxiety gets worse
*I try to rationalize why gaming is good for you
*Try to monitor my gaming, doesn't work
*Try other strategies to find that balance between work and my love for gaming
*Nothing works, start to get angry. "I could be learing a language or starting a business!"
*I delete all of my games, delete Steam. Sell my system
*Feels great for about a week
*Cycle starts all over again.

Some of the issues I hvae towards gaming might have to do with my mom. She hated video games. She'd tell me "you're wasting your time playing those stupid games again! Get your life together!" She'd lay on me this guilt trip. It was years ago but I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Funny, because my sister is an avid video game player and she is a programmer who works for a small startup out of Boston. I don't know why I can't do the same.

Anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: Igo69

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Used to, but certain real life circumstances forced me out of my comfort zone and the cycle I was in. Though I never sell my games or any game systems, I was stuck in a rut where I would get sucked into a game and that was all I could think about. It was especially bad in school when I was playing D2: LoD as much as possible.

However, all that tapered off the older I got. Once I got into the habit of working a normal job that I enjoyed, I started to replace gaming with hanging out with new friends. I'd still play video games when I could, but they were no longer #1 priority anymore. Now that I'm 30, I still play videogames all the time when I have days off (played BroForce with my girlfriend for 11 hours straight a few weeks ago), but they don't run my life like they used to.

As far as the rationalization about gaming is good for you, it sounds like you need to stop feeling bad about playing video games. If it's a hobby you enjoy and one you use to unwind, then there's nothing wrong with doing something you enjoy. Sure you could learn to speak another language instead of gaming, but are you going to need/use that extra language? Are you going to speak it every day so you retain that knowledge or just replace gaming with a different habit? You could also start a business but that's usually financially risky and it won't go anywhere unless your heart and soul are tied to that business. You could do volunteer work but are you ultimately going to see that volunteer work as a waste of time because you could be learning a new language or starting a business? You need to work on you before you try to squash your habits. You should also think very carefully before you try to remove habits (especially ones you love) from your life. Trying to manage something like this takes motivation and willpower. It's the same as an overweight person trying to change their diet and routine overnight. You can PM me if you wish to talk more.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Everything in moderation, sounds like you need to find some other hands-on hobby. I recommend wrenching on engines or killing tires with a project car.

When I was a teenager I could play games for several hours straight but now it's one or two, once or twice a week. I just get bored with them faster but I don't think I was ever glued to them for an unhealthy amount of time. That can certainly happen if you don't have something else to take up your time. For me, I sit by a computer at work so most of the time when I get home that's the last thing I want to do.

I don't really consider gaming to be a hobby of mine, but it just lets me escape for an hour or two but I can just as easily listen to music and dive into something technical.

there are therapists for "video game addiction" btw

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Honestly, I think this is the part where things are breaking down for you.

I've been a gamer for ~25 years now (starting around 8yo, with game systems, followed shortly by a PC) and I've never felt 'guilty' for it. It's provided me my storytelling, logic puzzles, mental/physical interactivity, social infrastructure, general hobby, and now, relationship co-hobby for my entire life. It's not something to feel guilty about, and it's not a waste of time unless you genuinely feel it is. If you're carrying over garbage from growing up, release that baggage, you'll feel better, trust me.

If you honestly *do* feel like it's a waste of time, find another hobby. Buy a PS*/Xbox* or whatever once every few years, and buy some rando casual games like the rest of the non-gamer population that still owns gaming systems, and find something else more 'productive' to burn 90% of your spare time with (whatever productive means to you). But if the thing you're always drawn to is gaming, it's probably because you love it, and you're a Gamer(tm), so embrace it, enjoy it. Learn to love the bomb. We're only here for 100 or so spins around our nearest star, and only ~80% of those are likely to be done without us crapping ourselves, so don't get bent out of shape over how you enjoy your life.

Oct 20, 2005
I'm currently having this issue. I'm playing video games for much longer than intended. I have a difficult time going to bed on time. I'm waking up in bad moods. I don't go to the gym, eat like crap and repeat the process when I get home. Weekends are sometimes a haze of me playing Skyrim for hours on end.

I've tried using apps like Cold Turkey. I've tried using timers. I've tried decreasing my playing time and I've tried playing games that take less commitment. Skyrim is one of those games that can suck hours out of your life. The next thing you know you've spent 500 plus hours fighting skeltons and sleeping in a tent.

I have a love hate relationship with gaming. I've been thru Nintendo, Playstation, PS2, PS3, Xbox, PC gaming from the early days of Half Life to today, PSP, PSP Go, Sega, and Android gaming. Everytime I go thru the typical cycle.

*Craving to play video games kicks in
*Start looking at video games online
*I purchase system
*Start gaming
*Hours quickly increase
*Depression and anxiety gets worse
*I try to rationalize why gaming is good for you
*Try to monitor my gaming, doesn't work
*Try other strategies to find that balance between work and my love for gaming
*Nothing works, start to get angry. "I could be learing a language or starting a business!"
*I delete all of my games, delete Steam. Sell my system
*Feels great for about a week
*Cycle starts all over again.

Some of the issues I hvae towards gaming might have to do with my mom. She hated video games. She'd tell me "you're wasting your time playing those stupid games again! Get your life together!" She'd lay on me this guilt trip. It was years ago but I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Funny, because my sister is an avid video game player and she is a programmer who works for a small startup out of Boston. I don't know why I can't do the same.

Anyone else have this issue?

Have kids and you won't have time to game anymore.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
get a girlfriend.*

it might take some work, but it's a guaranteed cure for gaming addiction.

*must be hot

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
get a girlfriend.*

it might take some work, but it's a guaranteed cure for gaming addiction.

*must be hot

To add, if one girlfriend doesn't solve the issue, try two. If two don't work, try three....etc.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
I think you're looking for video games to fulfill another area of your life that is lacking or suffering. The solution is to find out exactly what it is you're trying to fill when you're gaming, and go from there.

It's like, your body is truly craving water, but you keep drinking coke to quench your thirst and wondering why you're still thirsty.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
try counseling because you definitely seem on the right path to why you are overplaying. It does get better as you get older at least it should but since you are maybe trying to rectify your past maybe not in your case.

Do you really sell your systems and start over?