when ordering online, is the sales tax based on the shipping or billing address' state?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It's based on the billing address' state in my state, and the shipper is only required to collect tax if they have a building in the state. Newegg was tax free for me, but then they started shipping out of NJ, so now I have to pay tax if I buy from them.

EDIT:I misread the topic & thought it said shipper. You are taxed on the shipping address.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
How much sales tax will be added to your order

The sales tax charged for an individual transaction is based on the Shipping Address, which is defined as the location where the product is ultimately received by the Intuit customer. The applicable sales tax charged is based on the ZIP code within the specific state where the product has been received.

The amount charged will include all state, county, and local taxes as required by law. In most cases, these taxes will apply to the shipping and handling fee as well as the product price. Although some states do not require sales tax on a separately stated, reasonable shipping charge, this charge is generally regarded as taxable when it is combined with a handling fee. Because Intuit charges a shipping and handling fee, applicable sales tax* is collected on this fee, in addition to the tangible product.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Amazon is definitely by the shipping address. I'm charged sales tax on items delivered to me :( but not on Child's Play donations to out of state hospitals :)

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
tax is based on where it is shipping to. Taxing or not is based on if the business is registered in that state I think?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dakels
tax is based on where it is shipping to. Taxing or not is based on if the business is registered in that state I think?

nexus. complicated laws that vary by state. not for discussion here.