When is the last time you took anything in for repair

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Not shipped but actually took something to a repair shop? I don't remember taking anything at all, except for cars... Just curious if people still get their stuff repaired...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Never. If I can't fix it myself, it usually gets scrapped, or kept for parts. Most things are cost prohibitive to have someone else fix them. A lot of times the cost is 50%-75% of just buying the thing again. For me, that's hard to justify.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I took my Dyson in for repair, last year, but it's never been the same. :(

So I bought a new one. $$

Feb 25, 2011
Every couple months. (There's an Apple repair center right around the corner from work, so if something eats itself in the warranty period, I usually take it over there instead of waiting on the onsite guy.)

Personal stuff? I've had work done on clothing and shoes (open seams, leather repair/restore, tailoring/adjustments.) We had a guy come out to service the elliptical. And furnace. (Does that count?)

And of course we take cars in for repair/maintanance. (Had a new fender put on last month. Not my fault!)

Most appliances are disposable now, though.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Had to take in my JVC receiver in for an in-warranty repair...and paid $150...for a part I know costs $20 today. LOL, I was stupid then. Warranty repair was supposed to be free, and the guy convinced me it wasn't.

This was back in the 90s sometime.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Completely dead Car battery replaced at PepBoys 2 weeks ago.

english.jpg

For me, our Camry.
Anything else I fix myself or replace.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Took my car to have the PCM replaced. I think that was about 3 years ago.

On a side note: My business repairs shoes and does minor leather work as one of its services. LOTS of women have their shoes repaired. Blame it on the high heels and the tiny little cap on the bottom that wears out in the first month or so.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I repair my own stuff. Cars. Computers. Electronics. Appliances. House stuff (HVAC, irrigation and plumbing, structural, drywall/stucco, electrical, etc) Guns. Everything. Yay self sufficiency.

I'm very picky too, a perfectionist. Ill buy the right tool for the job if I don't already have it and do it right. I don't just patch the symptoms, I solve the root engineering problem. If I can't do a repair professionally such that you can never tell anything was wrong, I'll replace the item. My goal is always 100% factory perfect or better, no ghetto rigged shade tree shit.

Next two repairs around the corner for me are:

differential carrier bearing - parts ordered ring and pinion bearing and seal set with crush sleeve, axle stub pilot bearing and seal kit, LSD clutch kit and 2 bottles of friction modifier, and 3 quarts synthetic 75W140. Doing it all while it's out.

Keltec Sub 2000 9mm - replacement magazine catch on the way

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Most recent I can think of is my watch to have the batteries and seals replaced. Its too nice of a watch to tinker with myself.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I took a lawnmower in for repair last summer. I could not get that damned thing to run... a couple days and $50 later and it was good as new.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
english.jpg

For me, our Camry.
Anything else I fix myself or replace.

I can get a new battery and installed for like $40-$50 at Battery Masters in my area with a 3-5 yr full replacement warranty. Can't even do it myself for that cost from a Walmart battery. lol

Oil changes, costs almost as much for filter and oil for me to do it myself or i can take it to Jerry's will do it for me for $15 with discount, they usually get it done within 15 minutes or so sometimes if i go on a Saturday morning.

Granted having car issues diagnosed can be pricey, but if you know what you want replaced, you can find good mechanics that will swap out parts cheap but depends whether you actually have the tools to do it with, which of course the prices of tools to get those jobs done should be taken into consideration. If i have the tools and the part isn't too daunting to get to, i'll do it myself but these days, even getting to my alternator is a pain the ass

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
good point, come to think about it, other than major car repairs, I don't have anything that needs repairing (renting a room, so, i don't have any appliances). For laptop and computer I just replace.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Home shampoo system was taken in for servicing after 2 years of use last Turkey day.
$75 bill for a $250 unit.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i work at a electronic service center. op is right, most people tell us they didnt even know someone existed that could fix their stuff.

and our billing is very high. most of the time the repairs cost 1/2 to 3/4 of a brand new unit, but people go with the repair because 1) its still cheaper then a new one. and 2) they simply like THEIR stuff and don't want a new one.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I just bought a jacket and within one month one of the buttons were falling off and I made a hole in the fabric, which the store repaired with no charge.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i work at a electronic service center. op is right, most people tell us they didnt even know someone existed that could fix their stuff.

and our billing is very high. most of the time the repairs cost 1/2 to 3/4 of a brand new unit, but people go with the repair because 1) its still cheaper then a new one. and 2) they simply like THEIR stuff and don't want a new one.

I've had repair guys turn me down before cause they didn't want to bother with it. Though they did more than just repair so i guess they can pick and choose what to repair.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I've had repair guys turn me down before cause they didn't want to bother with it. Though they did more than just repair so i guess they can pick and choose what to repair.

that happens too. basically, we take the unit and the estimate fee. that allows us to do about 30min of research. if it turns out we cant find parts or schematics, the unit goes back to the customer as is.

TheBloodguard

Nov 5, 2002
Took my car to have the PCM replaced. I think that was about 3 years ago.

On a side note: My business repairs shoes and does minor leather work as one of its services. LOTS of women have their shoes repaired. Blame it on the high heels and the tiny little cap on the bottom that wears out in the first month or so.

Just mailed off my Ecco shoes for repair. Paid close to $200, wore them twice within a year and then they sat in the closet for several years. I took them out for a wedding and the soles are like sticky tar. Google search shows this is a common problem but I doubt if they will cover it under warranty due to age and from what I read online. I'm still waiting for a reply since sending them out 1 month ago.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
1994, I took a 20" TV in to Montgomery Ward for repair. About a month later I went in to pick it up and left without paying the ~$200 bill.

I still have an account at a shop for my construction company's tool maintenance and repair. I'll bring a load of stuff in two or three times a year. It's mostly cords, brushes, gears, and lubrication for power tools. They keep my gas powered stuff in good shape too. I will not waste time dicking around with sub-par tools while trying to get work done.