When is Blockbuster going to start the program similar to Netflix?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
hopefully never. they don't carry directors cuts, unrated dvds etc. they suck

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Never, do you know how much money they make off of late fees? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think I remember reading that they make like 80% of their revenue off of late fees.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: benchiu
Never, do you know how much money they make off of late fees? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think I remember reading that they make like 80% of their revenue off of late fees.

since they have already started such programs in many major markets, NY and Chicago for instance, i'd have ot say you are wrong.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

umm they already have one, its called DVD Freedom Pass, its available in major cities

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: benchiu Never, do you know how much money they make off of late fees? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think I remember reading that they make like 80% of their revenue off of late fees.
since they have already started such programs in many major markets, NY and Chicago for instance, i'd have ot say you are wrong.

I disagree. BB is testing those programs because they have to adapt or else places like Netflix are gonna take a big chunk out of their revenue. If BB had their way, they would continue with their current business model.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: benchiu Never, do you know how much money they make off of late fees? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think I remember reading that they make like 80% of their revenue off of late fees.

I disagree. BB is testing those programs because they have to adapt or else places like Netflix are gonna take a big chunk out of their revenue. If BB had their way, they would continue with their current business model.

rolleye.gif

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
I found the closer numbers, BB makes about 18% of their revenue from late fees. 18% of $5 billion is a lot. I highly doubt they would make as much money from a Netflix type program.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I found the closer numbers, BB makes about 18% of their revenue from late fees. 18% of $5 billion is a lot. I highly doubt they would make as much money from a Netflix type program.

you go from 80% to 18%, you have been clearly told that it is already available in major cities and you are still too stupid to put 2 and 2 together.

here let me do it for you.

they risk not only losing this "18%" but a whole lot more to people who like the netflix type programs. i've rented 3 dvd's from blockbuster since i got my netflix account, trust met that's a WHOLE lot more than 18%.

Freedom pass is NOT just test marketing it is their only hope of keeping customers like me.

hence, tho they may not make as much money of me as they did BEFORE netflix came into being, they will surely do better making SOME money off me with a Freedom Pass program than they would if they DIDN'T have the program.

capiche?

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by: benchiu I found the closer numbers, BB makes about 18% of their revenue from late fees. 18% of $5 billion is a lot. I highly doubt they would make as much money from a Netflix type program.
you go from 80% to 18%, you have been clearly told that it is already available in major cities and you are still too stupid to put 2 and 2 together. here let me do it for you. they risk not only losing this "18%" but a whole lot more to people who like the netflix type programs. i've rented 3 dvd's from blockbuster since i got my netflix account, trust met that's a WHOLE lot more than 18%. Freedom pass is NOT just test marketing it is their only hope of keeping customers like me. hence, tho they may not make as much money of me as they did BEFORE netflix came into being, they will surely do better making SOME money off me with a Freedom Pass program than they would if they DIDN'T have the program. capiche?

My bad for not realizing that BB already had a program like this. I havent been to one in about 2 years. Chill out and step away from the coffee.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001

you go from 80% to 18%, you have been clearly told that it is already available in major cities and you are still too stupid to put 2 and 2 together.

here let me do it for you.

they risk not only losing this "18%" but a whole lot more to people who like the netflix type programs. i've rented 3 dvd's from blockbuster since i got my netflix account, trust met that's a WHOLE lot more than 18%.

Freedom pass is NOT just test marketing it is their only hope of keeping customers like me.

hence, tho they may not make as much money of me as they did BEFORE netflix came into being, they will surely do better making SOME money off me with a Freedom Pass program than they would if they DIDN'T have the program.

capiche?

i don't see how they need to directly compete with netflix. the bottom line for me is as follows: its tuesday night at 7:45, and I want to watch a new release NOW. I can either order up netflix, save a dollar or two over the course of a month (meaning I rent ALOT of dvds) and wait 4-5 days, or I can pay a little extra and be watching the disc before 8:00.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: benchiu I found the closer numbers, BB makes about 18% of their revenue from late fees. 18% of $5 billion is a lot. I highly doubt they would make as much money from a Netflix type program.
you go from 80% to 18%, you have been clearly told that it is already available in major cities and you are still too stupid to put 2 and 2 together. here let me do it for you. they risk not only losing this "18%" but a whole lot more to people who like the netflix type programs. i've rented 3 dvd's from blockbuster since i got my netflix account, trust met that's a WHOLE lot more than 18%. Freedom pass is NOT just test marketing it is their only hope of keeping customers like me. hence, tho they may not make as much money of me as they did BEFORE netflix came into being, they will surely do better making SOME money off me with a Freedom Pass program than they would if they DIDN'T have the program. capiche?

My bad for not realizing that BB already had a program like this. I havent been to one in about 2 years. Chill out and step away from the coffee.

typical atot loser response to being proven wrong.
rolleye.gif

if you had read the thread you would have seen TWO people posted that such programs already existed.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
rolleye.gif
if you had read the thread you would have seen TWO people posted that such programs already existed.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is. I was wrong, I admitted it, get over it.

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000

rolleye.gif

Cranky are we? He admitted he was wrong which no ATOT "loser" would do. Get over it, he did not commit a heinous crime.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999

rolleye.gif

Somebody's got their cranky pants on tonight!!!

But yeah, my parents are subscribed to BB's service. It's good for them because they don't really care about "director's uber limited edition extended special edition millenium cut" and they are impulse movie watchers.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I'm sure as a company they must have talked about it internally but they probably get more profit from their current system.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: austin316
i don't see how they need to directly compete with netflix. the bottom line for me is as follows: its tuesday night at 7:45, and I want to watch a new release NOW. I can either order up netflix, save a dollar or two over the course of a month (meaning I rent ALOT of dvds) and wait 4-5 days, or I can pay a little extra and be watching the disc before 8:00.

I don't think netflix is there biggest problem.. at some point video on demand is going to take over. Imagine the same tuesday night.. would you rather trek out to the local block buster or use your remote and fire up the latest movies without leaving the couch? I know around here, both time warner cable and optimum online (cablevision) offer "Movies-in-demand" which you can pause, rewind, fastforward, etc. They cost about the same as renting and you can watch them as often as you want for 1 day. Once the technology gets better (and more and more people get digital cable), BB and netflix will both be in trouble.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

I wouldn't doubt that. I would say 4/5 of my movies are returned late. :Q

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I don't think netflix is there biggest problem.. at some point video on demand is going to take over. Imagine the same tuesday night.. would you rather trek out to the local block buster or use your remote and fire up the latest movies without leaving the couch? I know around here, both time warner cable and optimum online (cablevision) offer "Movies-in-demand" which you can pause, rewind, fastforward, etc. They cost about the same as renting and you can watch them as often as you want for 1 day. Once the technology gets better (and more and more people get digital cable), BB and netflix will both be in trouble.

I doubt it, don't they charge something outrageous for each viewing, and very limited selections. Plus with the paranoia of the cable industry, they wont give up on the proprietary set top box required for decryption. No thanks, I enjoy the freedom of viewing my flicks whether it be in the living room, small bedroom dvd/tv combo, laptop computer (my main source), or desktop system.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Hector13
Originally posted by: austin316

I think video on demand will stay a niche product for a long time - when people buy their new widescreen HDTVs and whatnot for the cable and broadcast network switch over they're going to want a quality picture all the time. HDDVD is coming within a year, and thats going to have what, 10+GB per disc? Streaming that amount of data to each individual household showing what they want and when they want it will be impractical without massive cable infastructure upgrades.

About the Netflix delivery time, if you live reasonably close to a major city it seems like the delivery times are mostly down to one day, which I use to watch as many as 12 or so discs a month saving a ton over Blockbuster.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't care for netflix and the like because I feel pressure to watch those movies, otherwise I'm losing money. With blockbuster I can decid that I want a DVD, and 20 min later I'm at home with it. Yeah their selection sucks, but I don't care that much about it.