When is AMD going to release real 8 core chips?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
If the OP counts a pair of int cores (as x86 cores were up to 386) as only one core, he should look at Interlagos with 16 cores, if he doesn't count the Magny Cours.

BTW if some cores share L2 or L3, would they count as a single core? ;-)

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
If the OP counts a pair of int cores (as x86 cores were up to 386) as only one core, he should look at Interlagos with 16 cores, if he doesn't count the Magny Cours.

BTW if some cores share L2 or L3, would they count as a single core? ;-)
Or worse: what if the GPU shared the L3 with 4 hyperthreaded cores? There's no way that they would count as real cores!

/s

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Forget 8-core, when are the mainstream cpu's going to get 6 core? I've heard the mainstream Haswell are still 4-core only, which makes sense I guess. I hope the die-shrink has 6-cores though.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Forget 8-core, when are the mainstream cpu's going to get 6 core? I've heard the mainstream Haswell are still 4-core only, which makes sense I guess. I hope the die-shrink has 6-cores though.

When the manufacturers think there's enough profit to be made to justify the investment.

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
/me looks at sig

/me looks back at post

I believe we have tried that already

Ryaxnb

Jul 5, 2011
performance wise in non-gaming applications Bulldozer consistently beats a Phenom II X6 1100T by the amount of the clockspeed difference or more, unless the app isn't well threaded. Thus, i feel safe calling the BD a "6-core equivalent"; obviously none of it's physical functions are in 6, but it's got the IPC of a 6 core Phenom II at the minimum in well threaded apps, and in a couple well threaded apps, blows right by the 6 core phenom II by the clockspeed difference + 10-32%. Even in Sandra GFLOPS it beats the Phenom II X6 by the clockspeed difference, meaning it's theoretical FP performance is that of a 6-core Phenom II. As expected, in Sandra GIPS, it blows by the Phenom II X6 by 32% + the clockspeed difference. And some results that could be explained by 4 fpus can also be questioned: In After Effects it's 14% faster than the 4 core Phenom II X4 in IPC but slower than the X6, yet in Blender which also is a FPU-centric app, it blows by both, beating the X6 by 30% in IPC.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Intel will probably be the first to release a true 8 core CPU although there will be no 8 core Haswell if I'm not mistaken.

What?!

AMD released a 12 core Magny-Cours (12 actual cores) 2 years ago. How is Intel going to be first?

Unless you are meaning 12 cores on one die. But then thats kind of splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
When Intel has fully integrated everything onto an SoC. That's why you're not seeing more than 4 cores... integration is the focus currently, and for good reason.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken, Intel and AMD both launched "true" eight-core chips at nearly the exact same time, around March 2010.

Aug 11, 2008
When the manufacturers think there's enough profit to be made to justify the investment.

There is not much investment to be made. They already make the hex cores. They (Intel) just has to position them in the mainstream, with price proportionate to the quads. Since the 3570 is 280.00, they should be able to make a hex core for around 450.00 instead of the 600.00 for the E chips

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
The issue with bulldozer is not core-count, or power consumption, or IPC...it is all of the above when combined into a singular product.

Very well said. That sums it up.
Bulldozer has the core count, hence the strong performance in multi core intensive apps but when IPC on a single core comes into play, Bulldozer sucks (just as P4 did)

Last edited:

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble, but AMD will release a "fake" 10 or 12 core desktop chip before they release a "real" 8 core desktop chip, which is what they are calling AMD FX.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
They (Intel) just has to position them in the mainstream, with price proportionate to the quads. Since the 3570 is 280.00, they should be able to make a hex core for around 450.00 instead of the 600.00 for the E chips

You always pay a premium for top of the line parts. It is rarely linear like you suggest. Marketing 101.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
They can still compete against Intel, if they want to. I hope they grow a pair.

No they can't. And there's no reason to compete in CPUs, x86 efforts are increasingly futile anymore with the rise of ARM. I'd focus on bang/buck server chips, low power and APU integration, those things will pay off down the road. Having a power hungry, insanely powerful CPU that doesn't get utilized by 95% of the population is stupid. You can always toss in moar coars and go parallel for content creators.

BenchPress

Nov 8, 2011
I don't get why people want more cores. I want more MHz and IPC.
It's prohibitively expensive to aggressively increase IPC or MHz. And a lot of people think adding more cores is the best/only alternative.

It's not though. A more efficient way to increase parallelism right now is by using wide vector instructions with gather support. That's what AVX2 is for. It will make many scalar code loops run up to eight times faster.

CPUs should balance ILP, TLP and DLP for best performance across a wide range of applications. ILP is exhausted and DLP is cheaper than TLP for now. But eventually the number of cores will go up again. And fortunately Haswell is preparing for that as well with TSX.