When i startup IE5.5, the window is tiny. I want it to be maximised from the start - how can i do this?

blurredvisionx

Oct 5, 2000
Right click on the shortcut icon, and click properties. There should be an option at the bottom to start windows maximized or minimized. Of course, you should know that I could never get it to work in Win98SE, but they seemed to have fixed it in WinME.

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
Ok yeah i found that this was my problem also... The first tip was great, because that annoyed me too, but the link one is the MOST annoying :p

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I now always go to the forums from my favorites instead of clicking the link at the main anand page just because of it.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm using Win98 and IE 5.1 I believe. Well, whatever version is bundled with Win98SE. But this might work for you. Open IE and maximize the window. Open a New window. Maximize it. Now close both windows while they are maximized. It may even be a good idea to reboot at this point. The next time you start IE, the window will be maximized and all New Windows will be also. If you shut it down with the window reduced, it will start that way on the next occasion that you open IE.

blurredvisionx

Oct 5, 2000
That's a good tip, ornery. I found that if I did that, it didn't seem to always work, even though when it would, one of my friends would come along and hit the damn maximize button instead of the x, which would of course take it back to 'normal' mode. You don't even know how bad this pissed me off!!!:)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Another thing to try, though I don't know if this convention works in 5.5, when you want IE to remember the window size for next time...hold down the CONTROL key when you close the window. It's suppose to force IE to save the window state on exit. Seems to work in 5.01...I've only had to do this once and new windows always open at the proper size...

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Don't need the CTRL button here.
Using IE 5.

I open an IE window, resize it, close it.
Next time I open, it'll be the size like before I close it.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
If you bring it to the desired size manually, by dragging the corner, that position will be remembered. Otherwise, if you use the maximize toggle, it won't. Microsoft said that this was preferred by more people.

Kiss You All Over (Exile)

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
Bullsh!t. I'm sure most "people" prefer windows media player 7 as well.

Take the preference out of the morons and give it to the users. I'm surprised they even gave us the option to disable "personalized" menus. God those are almost as annoying as messed up sized IE windows.

User friendliness = dick over the power users