When I bite my lip, it turns into a canker sore.... help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sometimes I'll get a little overzealous whilst enjoying a nice meal and my canines will mistake the inside of my lip for a piece of steak. This clearly presents a problem. So, after enduring the initial pain, I'm left w/ a week long canker sore. Perhaps it's not a true canker sore, but it feels the same. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else have this problem? What's the best way to get rid of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
i dunno, stay away from altoids!! touching that area is all i can say!! also just be a little more concius, i always bite my tounge/cheek when i chew gum too long, thats how i know i should get rid of it, it gets too tough and i bite my tounge

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Two remedies that work for me:

Aspirin directly to the canker sore will take the pain away (apply several times a day). Make sure you use ASPIRIN.

Salt, as painful as it may be does work. It kills bacteria and allows it to heal. This is what I normally do.

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Same deal with me, Frost. Any small bite turns into sore... Actually only bites turn into sores. I play the Clarinet and so I get a pretty beat up lower lip from the embouchure sometimes... but that never progresses into a sore. I just ride it out. I rarely bite myself ;)

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My back teeth don't seem to fit right since wisdom tooth extraction. I bite down on that area all the time, and usually end up with a sore.

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
Try Tea Tree Oil. It is a anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent and it also has an analgesic effect (it slightly numbs the area).

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
If you are actually getting a canker sore then it means that you have herpes(just about everyone does). it's not the same as the std.

What i think you're getting(this is my educated guess, and possibly wrong) is a cut that because of all the bacteria in your mouth is becoming infected. to fix it try not eating your cheeks.

Moose

Eeks

Dec 8, 1999
Bite somewhere else to numb the pain. Thats what I do. A bit counter productive but ingenious

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
I get them a lot - mostly due to my Dracula-like canines...

Kanka is a good medicine - puts a barrier on it that lets me eat pain free. Fletcher's is NASTY, but works - I think it kills all the germs that cause them so it can shorten them from a week to 3 days!

To avoid them, keep your toothbrush in an antibacterial solution (Scope, Listerine, etc...). Rinse a LOT with Scope/Listerine too.

Basically, when you do bite/injure your mouth, try to prevent with mouthwashes and a super clean toothbrush. If one does develop, use a combo of medicines that relieve pain and kill germs, along with something (from Listerine, toothpaste, or even salt) to kill the canker germs.

RN0910

Nov 9, 2013
Just to clear something up...Canker sores and herpes are not the same thing. Herpes (or cold sores/fever blisters) is a virus, specifically the Herpes Simplex 1 virus, this is contagious and remains dormant in your body even when you don't have any sores.

Canker sores, on the other hand, are irritating sores that occur on your tongue, lips or the sides of your mouth. These generally occur after some sort of trauma to your mouth, biting for example or injury from sharp food items such as chips. The ulcer develops due to bacteria in your mouth infecting the injury. If you are getting them everytime you bite your lip, your best action is to decrease the amount of bacteria in your mouth. You can do this by making sure you floss and brush at least twice a day, and use an antiseptic mouth wash such as listerine, also twice a day.

I hope this helps!!

Please check thread dates before posting. This thread has not been responded to for 13 years.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Anyone else remember the old days of "archived" threads, which ensure that they couldn't be revived after about a year or two, much less 13 years?

o_O

I'll still add though: I've had problems with these things for many many years.
The only thing that's helped has been orange juice every single day. It seems to have reduced their incidence, and when they do show up, the healing time is usually around 1 week instead of 2-3.

Other than that, doctors or dentists have been unable to come up with anything. Most "remedies" I've tried just make the things burn like hell, but don't seem to actually help.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Black licorice is a great, tasty remedy for mouth health. Something about the licorice root oils is just great for your mouth.

It has to be real licorice, though, not corn syrup that tastes like licorice.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
avoid foods w/ high sugar content. When you DO cut your lip, start using mouthwash or an antiseptic spread.

Basically, canker sores are herpes on the inside of your mouth...except they are NOT communicable.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Better oral hygiene may help.

And perhaps take some formal etiquette training for your table manners?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Bite somewhere else to numb the pain. Thats what I do. A bit counter productive but ingenious

Sorta what I do when my kids hurt something.

"Oh, your right arm hurts from running into the corner of the table? Here let me help you with that." /whack to the left arm/ "There, does your right arm feel better?"

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.