when do you wait for nv30 over a 9700

eaadams

Mar 2, 2001
I'm not sure when I'll beable to afford a 9700. I am in dire need of a 3d card as I have none now. At what point would you wait to get a nv30 over the 9700? Like a date.. ie. after november 1st I'd just as well wait to see how a nv30 is instead of panning out all the cash for a 9700.

Mockmaw

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
What's with the fetish of waiting until the next great chip is released, especially if money is an issue for you? I thought it was common knowledge that when new products, video cards being no exception, come out, their prices are inflated above their useful value. Just buy a video card that happily plays all the games that you play now (there are no games out right now that the 9700 can play but that the less expensive cards on the market can't play.) Save the money.. by the time a game requires a 9700-speed card, it's price will be significantly lower. I contend you spend less money by buying a card that suits your needs now rather than trying to anticipate games coming out in the future. Besides, I've always thought that money in your pocket is better than the risk of trying to buy something that seems, right now, future-proof. Just MHO.

eaadams

Mar 2, 2001
yea problem is that I can only get one vid card (I'm not paying for it, if I was it wouldnt be a high end card) so I figure might as well get best I can

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: eaadams
yea problem is that I can only get one vid card (I'm not paying for it, if I was it wouldnt be a high end card) so I figure might as well get best I can

here is the problem. u can shell out $300 and get the best there is now. or... wait a few months... and shell out $300 to get the best there is then. so looks like either way... u will get raped for getting the latest and greatest. the pro of getting the 9700 is that u get the play games now and u r pretty much guaranteed the best performance now. the con of getting the 9700 now is that when the nv30 comes out... it might not be the fastest card. the pro of waiting to get the nv30 is that u will prolly have the best perfomance for games. the con is that u have to wait for it to come out. basically... if u want the best now... get the 9700. if u feel that u can wait... then get the nv30 when it comes out.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
First I wonder what kind of system you have. Maybe the 9700 would be way overkill for it. Maybe if its high end it would suit it great.

Personally, I never buy top of the line hardware. I check reviews and get the most for my money. Ive got a few hundred bucks for a new system. I dont need a 2.4ghz box. Im putting a radeon 8500 in my athlon 1600 box, if i had the cash id get a gf4 4200. what kind of system are you running and what do you want to run games and such at? Im happy with 1024x768x32 myself. My brother has a duron system and was looking at getting a gf 4...so i hit him in the head :) THATS overkill....

anyway, theres always something better coming out. faster processors that make the 2ghz chips cost even less, better sound, storage, monitors etc

I say wait for the nv30 to come out and then buy a gf4 something or other. the prices will likelye drop and youll wind up with one hell of a card costing noticeable less than what they do right now

how much did the radeon 8500 cost before the 9500 came out? i dont remember, but i know it was more than i was willing to spend at the time, now its under 100 bucks.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: eaadams
at what point would you wait to get the nv30? 2 months 2 weeks?

why does it matter when i would buy it? if it were me, i wouldn't but either the 9700 or nv30. i'd get something like a ti4200 or 8500, becuz its adequate for today's and tomorrow's games. when either of these cards begin to show signs of weakness, i'll then get a 9700 or nv30, becuz by then... the prices will be reasonable (my definition of reasonable is in the $100-$150 range). so wait? ok.... my answer is wait about 14 months.

eaadams

Mar 2, 2001
My system is a p4 1.6A OC to 2+ but the thing is I have a Dell 20" LCD w/ native resolution at 1600x1200 so more important than features is being able to run games at a very high resolution.

Snakebitten

Mar 11, 2001
Just grab a card you can afford. Why wait or ask what a good waiting time is. Makes no sense in this day of age. :)

By the time NV30 comes out, why not just wait another few months until R400 comes out and ask advice again on if you should wait some more. Than you can ask if you should wait another 2-3 months after that to see if you should get a NV40. Than a few months after that you can ask advice about waiting for the R500 and so on.....

Sorry to be blunt about it but whatever you wait for, there is going to be something better a few months later.

To answer your question more clearly. The point I would wait for a NV30 over 9700 if I had no video card is 0 days. Nvidia is rumored to announce the NV30 in mid Novemeber. Considering it takes 1-2 months after the announcement to get the product to customers, your going to be waiting atleast 3+ months still.

9700 plays all games to the fullest extent right now and its already been said to play Doom 3 just fine.

You can either play your current and future games fine with the 9700 or wait 3+ months for the latest and greatest. Just realize you'll be in the same position in 3+ months since there will be a better card coming out a few months after that.

Mockmaw

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
Uhh, I'm confused.

1. "I'm not sure when I'll beable to afford a 9700. "
2. "(I'm not paying for it, if I was it wouldnt be a high end card)"

Is it just me, or are those statements mutually exclusive?

If you're buying a video card out of your own pocket, get a Geforce4 or a Radeon 8500 and save the cash for later down the line (or spend it on something else, like going out and having a good time.)

If someone's buying a video card for you, there's no reason not to get the 9700 since it's basically the fastest out there. Technically, you could get the 9700, sell it, and buy a video card that's a little better in the value department.

Bottom line, there is no ideal point in the timeline of computer products.. stuff is constantly developing.. things keep dropping in price as new products come out.. Sounds like you're itching for a video card now, so get one now.. don't wait until the next thing comes out, because then you'll want to wait for the next thing, then the next thing, etc etc etc.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Games are barely using the features of my GF4 Ti4600 now so getting a video card which has more unsupported features seems abit pointless to me. The R9700 is an impressive video card with amazing speed however it would be wasted on me because I'm not a hardcore gamer.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I am waiting for a Raedon 9500 Pro, not very expensive, but it'll work for DX9 games.

VoodooKing

Oct 10, 2002
What kind of dx9 games? :|
i'l wait for nv30 or nv 35!
beacuse i got geforce 4 ti 4400!-nv25!
so i dont know if i buy nv30. :cool::frown::confused:

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
Yea, Doom III (which is going to be the precedent for next-gen hardware and software) will be the first game to really utilize to full extent, the features of the GF4 chipset. And its native support was for GF3, and i guess they modified some code for use with GF4. 9700 has DX9 support, but when the hell is that gonna matter? How long is it going to take for DX9 gaming support to make its way around the industry?

I think right now 9700 is just overkill. Its for people who like to run their games at a million FPS in 1024x768....

if youre gonna wait for anything, wait for NV30. It will be a little further ahead than the 9700 and a better longrun value. If youre gonna get something now, get a nice GF4 4600 and overclock it til it sweats (Leadtek like mine: overclocks like a mother!!!)

:)

best of luck

sechs

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2002
Buy now -- Enjoy now

Whatever you buy will be out of date in less than a year. Just cut to the chase and buy something!

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Get a Radeon 9700.

The reason to get a 9700 over a GF4 is not because a GF4 can't run games well. It obviously can.

The reason is that you will be able to run games at 1600 x 1200 with AA and AF at max settings and still get high frame rates. And then it will not just be playable, it will look beautiful too.

Get a 9700 now if you have a limitless budget and want the best gaming experience. If you want to save some money and still have a nice fast card, get an 8500 or a GF4 Ti 4200