When do you plan on retiring?

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Just curios is all.
1) How old are you?
2a) When do you plan on retiring(by plan)?
2b) When do you plan on retiring(by best case)?
2c) When do you plan on retiring(by worst case)?
3) Have you actually planned this?
My answers:
1) my age; 27
2a) planned:53
2b) best case: 45
2c) Worst case: 59
3) yes.

The only thing that sucks is I realize that I have to work till I am atleast 45 yeasr old. No way around it.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Plan: Now
Best case: Now
Worst case: 65
Planned: No. I received a severance package from my previous employer. I'm only 'so-so' looking for work at the moment. Living freely and doing what I want to do during the day has been wonderful. :)

My days basically consist of:

- Taking career classes
- Volunteering in my community or my daughter's school
- Reading
- Looking for a potential employer that can use all of my skills
- Networking with former co-workers
- Lunch with friends
- More family time: board games, bike riding with my daughter, etc.
- More home projects: ceramic tile on the kitchen floor, refinishing the Cherry cabinets, mouldings, woodworking, etc.
- Talking politics with associates at my work/search office
- Dressing as I choose when I'm around the neighborhood and walking my daughter to the bus stop.

Can I truly retire now? Not really. However, I can take the next 6 or 10 months to freely mold what I want to do. My mortgage payment is smaller than most apartment rentals in my area. I don't need a corporate job to survive. Actually, corporate life sucks - and it took me 17 years to figure it out. After leaving the company and getting my skills/salary profiled, I was underpaid by about $10K per year.

Life is good ... for now. ;)

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: wje
Plan: Now
Best case: Now
Worst case: 65
Planned: No. I received a severance package from my previous employer. I'm only 'so-so' looking for work at the moment. Living freely and doing what I want to do during the day has been wonderful. :)

My days basically consist of:

- Taking career classes
- Volunteering in my community or my daughter's school
- Reading
- Looking for a potential employer that can use all of my skills
- Networking with former co-workers
- Lunch with friends
- More family time: board games, bike riding with my daughter, etc.
- More home projects: ceramic tile on the kitchen floor, refinishing the Cherry cabinets, mouldings, woodworking, etc.
- Talking politics with associates at my work/search office
- Dressing as I choose when I'm around the neighborhood and walking my daughter to the bus stop.

Can I truly retire now? Not really. However, I can take the next 6 or 10 months to freely mold what I want to do. My mortgage payment is smaller than most apartment rentals in my area. I don't need a corporate job to survive. Actually, corporate life sucks - and it took me 17 years to figure it out. After leaving the company and getting my skills/salary profiled, I was underpaid by about $10K per year.

Life is good ... for now. ;)

Wow, you have it good and bad. Where I work, I understand the BS that occurs. I'm going to bust my tail reaching my goal, but as soon as the kids are done with school, i'm done with work :) Don't have kids yet, but i expect them to be done with school ataound 52. I hope. Actually, my planning shows that even if they are in college at the time that I can retire. It's even a fairl conservative plan!

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'll retire when I'm 59....or when I can find a woman that looks like Heather Locklear, makes as much money as Bill Gates, and has the sex drive of a horny rabbit....

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I'm 20 and I hope I don't have to work any longer than 60. Have to finish up school here first, couple more years of that and then hopefully I can find a job.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, retirement can mean many different things. To me, it means having the flexibility to do what I want to do. However, I've watched many people who have retired and were completely miserable. They needed the structure in their day, but they couldn't put together a plan to keep themselves going on one. My father-in-law, for example, is in this same scenario at the moment. He's 75 - and just retired about 2 years ago. ;shocked: - Now, he spends his days in his apartment, smoking cigarettes, watching sports and eating at 5 different diners on 5 different evenings. He seems completely miserable.

And, kherman, regarding my above post, I find myself to be a very, very fortunate individual. I had a P.O.S. life as a child when growing up, but I now have a great wife and daughter that really support me in all that I do. When I left the corporation that I worked for, I retained the right to my pension. I've served in the military for 4 years and then 3 years in the National Guard. My previous employer paid for my bachelor's degree. My daughter's college plan is completely funded. I live in an area that is rich with technology companies, so I would never move from the area that I live in.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
God only knows. Ask me two years ago and I'd have said 55-60, because I realize that one must invest early to retire. Ask me now and I've since learned that life isn't so easy as having a steady job with few bills and able to pile money into investing. I'm really not sure now. I don't mind if I have to work for a while. In the meantime I invest where I can but I'm not going to stress over it too much.

bromer

Nov 7, 2002
Well.. I'm 20 and I have about 5 years back in school. I hope I can get a job where I don't look forward to the day I retire. if not... then I don't have a clue about when my retirement should be :)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
1) How old are you?

2a) When do you plan on retiring(by plan)?

2b) When do you plan on retiring(by best case)?

2c) When do you plan on retiring(by worst case)?
um... never?

3) Have you actually planned this?
Yes.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i could retire when I'm 47 if i keep doing what i am doing now and live extremly comfortably

when will i retire? i'll probably not, but maybe start teaching after im done with corporate work

worst case scenario i will retire when i cant work anymore or dont want to.

yes i have planned this.

bromer

Nov 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i could retire when I'm 47 if i keep doing what i am doing now and live extremly comfortably

when will i retire? i'll probably not, but maybe start teaching after im done with corporate work

yes i have planned this.

what do you do for a living?

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
1) How old are you? 23

2a) When do you plan on retiring(by plan)? 50

2b) When do you plan on retiring(by best case)? 45

2c) When do you plan on retiring(by worst case)? 65

3) Have you actually planned this? not really

Planned no, its hard to have a plan when your employment is unstable and have massive debt against you. But I work two jobs, wife works two jobs, putting pennies into savings, paying down the debt. Immediate plan is to become CC debt free, then invest for retirement while really paying school loans and not a deferred payment.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
planned: 55
best case: 50
worst case: 60
planned - i have a good estimate of monthly retirement income i'll receive.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
I'm 23 and where I work, I'll retire at 49 which is also the earliest I could retire with full bennies for life. Worst case where I'm at is 54. If I get out at 49, I will go probably into another career job where I could retire after 15 years with a full pension which will make me 64 with two full pensions and benefits for the rest of my years.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bromer
Originally posted by: Ameesh

yes i have planned this.

what do you do for a living?

i am a software developer

bromer

Nov 7, 2002
My god.. most of the people in this thread are going to retire soon.. why it that... begin out in the working world should be funny, it shoudn't be a place where you just think about getting the hell out of there :) If this is the case there must be other jobs that can stimulate you a little better... or have I just lost it?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My god.. most of the people in this thread are going to retire soon.. why it that... begin out in the working world should be funny, it shoudn't be a place where you just think about getting the hell out of there :) If this is the case there must be other jobs that can stimulate you a little better... or have I just lost it?
Considering that working for someone else sucks, of course we're all ready to leave at any given moment. Companies don't make life pleasant for their workers anymore. No, I'm not talking about luxuries. However, I am talking about their lack of focus, lack of ethics and many other issues that exist within companies today. 20 years ago, it used to be an honor to work for a large corporation. Today, the perception has completely changed. For the most part, people are underpaid and overworked. The stress has zapped whatever energy they would have had. People get home and just turn into blobs on their couch. There is little community participation, little voluteering and little effort on the behalf of parents in paying proper attention to what their children are doing or involved with. Most families have both partents who work just so they can afford a nice house to keep up with (or beat) the Joneses' - oh, and then there's the two SUVs they need to keep parked in their driveways ... and the two jet skis in the garage ... and the ... - you get the picture.

People's lives need to change. People can't progress with living in the current situations they are in. I'm not completely blaming the corporations for all of this - just some of it. The rest of the blame can go with the employees themselves. They push themselves harder to make more money to afford more material things. People in this mode are not thinking about retiring early. However, it would be an very valid option if they could sacrifice themselves by living in a bit smaller house, not having the latest and greatest vehicles, not having the jet skis that they only use three times each Summer, etc.

bromer

Nov 7, 2002
Originally posted by: wje
Considering that working for someone else sucks, of course we're all ready to leave at any given moment. Companies don't make life pleasant for their workers anymore. No, I'm not talking about luxuries. However, I am talking about their lack of focus, lack of ethics and many other issues that exist within companies today. 20 years ago, it used to be an honor to work for a large corporation. Today, the perception has completely changed. For the most part, people are underpaid and overworked. The stress has zapped whatever energy they would have had. People get home and just turn into blobs on their couch. There is little community participation, little voluteering and little effort on the behalf of parents in paying proper attention to what their children are doing or involved with. Most families have both partents who work just so they can afford a nice house to keep up with (or beat) the Joneses' - oh, and then there's the two SUVs they need to keep parked in their driveways ... and the two jet skis in the garage ... and the ... - you get the picture.

People's lives need to change. People can't progress with living in the current situations they are in. I'm not completely blaming the corporations for all of this - just some of it. The rest of the blame can go with the employees themselves. They push themselves harder to make more money to afford more material things. People in this mode are not thinking about retiring early. However, it would be an very valid option if they could sacrifice themselves by living in a bit smaller house, not having the latest and greatest vehicles, not having the jet skis that they only use three times each Summer, etc.

I get what you're saying. I have worked for Motorola which I think is rarther big. I think that there is much difference between where you're from (US?) and to Denmark where I'm from. My experince was as plessure. I was part of a development/testing team. We were a big group (20 people), but we never worked alone. We allways got assigned to a task in pairs. This is a please because you smalltalk all the time while you're working. I don't think that the payment is bad either. I got about 150kr,- an hour (thats about $25 I guess). Keep in mind that I don't pay to get teatment at the hospital, I don't pay to go to the university and all.

No.. I'm not up do badmouth the US or any other, but my impression is that working in most big corp. in the U.S. is just like dilbert :) Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
for people who have planned to retire by a certain age, could you start adding how you plan on doing this? secure a certain amount in savings?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
19 here. Way too early to start thinking when I might retire, I don't even have an RRSP! I know I should get one, but I don't have any extra cash to put in it - tuition takes everything I have :(