When do you plan on having kids?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adica

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
I am 30 now and hopefully we will have a child soon. I always hoped I would have one in my 20's, but things didn't work out that way. So, maybe 31 or 32? That reminds me, I better go work on that..........

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I have a kid but didn't have him until my 30s (which I'm still in). I think this was a good age for me. In my 20s I was too selfish for children. I think I make a better father now that I'm older than I would have in my 20s. It's a moot point though.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
I was 23 when we got married, 28 when my first child was born and 31 when the second one was born.. my husband is a year and a half older, so.. 25, 29 and 32, for him. :)
that worked for us. :)

anno

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
i'm thinking 27-28 for the first child. i got married 5 months ago (age 24) so i'm not in any rush.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Aztech
Good question. I'm now 31, male and divorced (real soon) and I've been thinking about it. I do want kids, and I'm starting to panic about my age and not having any kids. It feels like 30-35 is the right age, but then when you start to think about the age difference between you and your kids (i.e. Kid = 1, Me = 35; Kid =20, Me = 55) then you start thinking about having them sooner.

But I can't believe some ppl don't even wanna have children. They seem like such an essential thing to the meaning of life and fulfillment to me.

i turned 40 this year. currently have 3 kids, 8, 6, 5.

my oldest starts college in 10 yrs. pretty scary cause i know it will go very fast.

engineereeyore

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2005
Got married when I was 21 and planned to go to school and have our first kid around 24, when I was close to being done. 4 years and 2 kids late, I started school. Still there. It's really not so bad, even that early. I would recommend at least 1-2 years after your married, but in our case, my wife was 25 when we got married, so it was probably best that we started when we did. I would also recommend 2.5-3 years between. Ours play real well together even with the age difference and you can usually get away with never having to change more than one child's diaper at a time. A humans ability to go to the bathroom BY THEMSELVES is surely one of the most unappreciated abilities around.

There's my 2 cents. Unfortunately, you can't buy diapers or formula with it. Good luck though.

troglodytis

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
none for me, thanks.

don't get me wrong, i love kids. i make a great uncle! but this life is mine.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: engineereeyore
... A humans ability to go to the bathroom BY THEMSELVES is surely one of the most unappreciated abilities around...

I really miss that few minutes of lucidity every day. My wife did buy some door knob covers that prevent toddlers from opening doors however, they can also be frustrating for adults that are 'in a hurry'.

BTW we are expecting our second and I am in my mid-30s. I was way too immature to have kids earlier even though if I had to do it again I would have them by my mid-20s.

Waiting a while did allow my wife and me to spend time together and finish some personal education goals; she got her MBA and I was able to suck it up and get my JD.