When did you start computer gaming?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Decade?

• Total voters

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
prob somewhere around 81-84.. But I really recall playing Kings Quest a ton around 84/85. Had a blast playing it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
DOS games were so bad I eventually had to make boot disks for each of them.
Some needed EMS, some needed XMS, some needed the extended lines for my wavetable card. Its too much work trying to get multiple games running under one setup. A disk for each was eventually necessary.
And since DOS loaded damn near instantly it wasn't a big deal.
My OS didn't load that fast again until Windows 10 on a SSD.

I remember issues of having to identify which port the sound card was in, or the video card, within the software. I think as late as Warcraft II? and it seemed somewhat random, whether you would have these issues with an install and not another--I guess that's really a common driver problem?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
By the spring of 1962, the first computer game was complete. Russell considered selling the game. But the only customer would have been Digital Equipment, because his game could run only on.

The google AI forum bots are definitely getting better, but it seems they are having conversations between themselves, but across forums and topics. Really strange.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I remember issues of having to identify which port the sound card was in, or the video card, within the software. I think as late as Warcraft II? and it seemed somewhat random, whether you would have these issues with an install and not another--I guess that's really a common driver problem?

I actually liked setting IRQs manually.

Reactions: pugh

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You're weird.

It gave me the sense that I knew what was going on with my PC. Also, in the early days when Windows was trying to set IRQs automatically, it would often do so incorrectly. Then they took away the hardware dip switches so everything had to be configured by software. I think Win95 was the first MS OS to get automatic IRQs right.

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
It was in the 80's at computer camp that I got my first taste of gaming. we had some apple computers with green monochrome screens. I remember it because we got to make our own pinball games!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
irq's... man im getting old.. I complete forgot about those and setting those.. wow..

Time flies.

I remember setting IRQ with jumpers.

Yes! And for awhile I actively preferred that since automatic IRQ allocation would set things up wrong. If you had a jumpered device, it had to follow the selection you made in hardware. Some devices only liked certain IRQs. And you only had so many IRQs to choose from so planning was required.

These days I prefer firmware interfaces, though corrupt firmware bricking a device is still a headache.