When college fans go bad..

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...ve.fans0303/index.html

On Jan. 23, the day before the ­Bruins-Ducks showdown in Eugene, Love found more than 30 voice-mail messages on his cellphone when UCLA stopped for a layover in San Francisco. He listened to the first one: If you guys win, we'll come to your house and kill your family. He played another: We'll find your hotel room and blow your f------ head off with a shotgun. He ­didn't bother to check the rest. "I mean, these were death threats," Love says.

Stan says his family was pelted with popcorn cartons and empty cups, as well as a barrage of profane ­insults ("every filthy word you can think of"), including screams of "whores" that made Kevin's grandmother cry. "There were six-year-old kids with signs saying KEVIN LOVE SUCKS," says Stan, who ­endured a hail of one-finger salutes to snap photographs of the worst signs. "It was the grossest display of humanity I've ever been involved with. To think I'm sitting at the school where I played ball, and just because my kid ­didn't pick Oregon he gets abused like that? I'll never go back there."

As not just a Bruin fan/alum, but just as a human being this really just makes me sick that an 18 year old kid has to deal with not just personal death threats, but threats and taunts upon his family as well, just because he chose to go a different school than the one he grew up near.

Oregon fans and all the others should be ashamed to be associated with such behavior, and punishment should be warranted accordingly..

It also makes me extra proud that he went for 24/18 in that game in a Bruin win :)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
They should kick people out for being verbally abusive. There's no reason for it. Just shows the immaturity of lots of people at games.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Happens at many schools. My GF was called a whore and I had food thrown on me when I went to see my team(Clemson) play NC State at NCSU.

Everyone in the ACC knows that Maryland, NCSU, and Miami are all places you do not enjoy much if you go there as an away game. Hell people got shot at NCSU a few years ago in the parking lot after a game.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Well...they should track down everyone that left a death threat and throw them in jail.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: chuckywang
LOL at Duke fans holding up signs against Maryland saying "Fear the Classroom" and "A mind is a Terrapin thing to waste."

BTW, JJ Redick had it the worst:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ai4-auZ18MQ

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnew...0/20050224132609990019

The guy in the Duke jersey holding the sign was the 8th? floor RA in Ellicott my freshman year.

That's a famous picture among college basketball fans. Hilarious too.

Apr 17, 2003

Hi, my name is John Smith and I'm calling you, Kevin Love, to threaten your life. You can reach me at 888-OU-SUCKS if you have any question. thanx for kicking our ass in the meantime.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
I'm so proud of my state right now...
Agreed. Fatty sucks.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
If only everyone would learn that basketball is pointless...

The game should be 2 and a half minutes long... Two minutes just for the fuck of it and the last 30 seconds decide the game...

just like it is now... but without all the garbage...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: KLin
On a related note:
Abusive signs at college games.

1-2-3-4 losses in a row and mangino underpants were the best 2. Special mention of the nifong pic too :laugh:

qft :laugh:!!!

i should add though, that i went to a basketball game at my school (drexel) when we played creighton. i sat in the drexel fan section, and i was honestly ashamed to be sitting with the kids around me. they were verbally abusing/harassing the referees as well as the opposing players. i could not believe that students would get so worked up that they'd act with such disrespect, lack of intelligence, and inhumanity - creighton wasn't the other team, they were the enemy. it was sad to see that the fans weren't there to enjoy the basketball game, they were there to enjoy *winning*. hell, half of them didn't even understand the full rule set to basketball, and were bitching out the refs for "erroneous" (but technically correct) calls.

it's not just sad, really.. it's pathetic, vile, and disgusting. i don't care if it's "just a sport" and people are "just cheering" for their team - you're there at the game as a person just as much as you are a fan, and behaving in such a manner only serves to display a facet of you that others may not see. there is NO REASON to act with such malice, and only serves to embarass yourself, your friends/colleagues, and your school.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: KLin
On a related note:
Abusive signs at college games.

1-2-3-4 losses in a row and mangino underpants were the best 2. Special mention of the nifong pic too :laugh:

Not sure what that was referring to .... Duke only lost to UNC 3 times in a row (2nd game of 2006, both games of 2007).

And 2008 part one.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
U of O has become a real dreck pit as of late. The school is gradually turning in to a major sports school, which means it's attracting more and more jocks and their fans with big muscles and little brains. As an Oregonian this is embarrassing.