Question when can we realistically expect a GREAT Low Power GPU to emerge?

Dec 6, 2008
ready for all ps5 /nextbox games at 1080p 60FPS /100w TDP with good settings???

4 years? more? because the old 1060 was the last card capable of such feat....

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Man we don't even really know what a gpu releasing later this month is going to do, don't how how to speculate out to what you're talking about.

Buuuuutttt if I had to guess we'll probably get a solid PS5 on PCI-e power alone board about two gen's/node drops from now. Based on historical trends, you're looking at roughly 4 years (RDNA2 5nm in 2022, RDNA3 in 2024).

Might be double the time if you get a same node refresh instead of a node drop at the 2 year point thanks to some seriously diminishing returns.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Considering a 3080 can maintain 95% of its performance with 220W consumption with undervolting, I suspect you could do the same with a 3070 in a 150W power envelope. I would think such a 3070 is at least comparable to a XSX if not slightly faster.

So from there you are asking for a 50% perf per watt improvement. That's probably doable on TSMC 5nm, which I'm gonna guess will be ready for GPUs by late 2021 or early 2022.

Reactions: Bouowmx

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
They are on sale now and not hard to get.

Keep in mind the xbox series S (the cheap one) is a 4 TeraFlop device, which is pathetic.

. . .
Laptop's use the MXM form factor for their gpus. Pci-e to MXM adapters are not hard to find. The GeForce RTX 3080 Mobile comes in a 115 watt version.

Obtaining MXM card, can be achievable. Approaches:
Dig through the manufactures parts listing (like ASUS or Alienware), order it as a replacement part.
Buy dead laptop on ebay, and gut it for the card.
Newegg has an MXM section, wait six months and the pro-version will likely show up overpriced
grab one off of ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2510209.m570.l1313&_nkw=ebay+mxm+rtx&_sacat=0 )

warning: All MXM cards require you to provide the cooling solution

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2008
yes... nothing better than random blank-screen/bsods to enjoy my shiny truck sized power hungry gpu! guess i'll have to wait ..... years for this jackasses ( btw, price is not a factor here, i would pay a premium for an efficient gaming gpu, yes i have a 850 focus psu and 750 gold evga gpu, so i culd buy one of this space heaters, but im not going to do that)

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
yes... nothing better than random blank-screen/bsods to enjoy my shiny truck sized power hungry gpu! guess i'll have to wait ..... years for this jackasses ( btw, price is not a factor here, i would pay a premium for an efficient gaming gpu, yes i have a 850 focus psu and 750 gold evga gpu, so i culd buy one of this space heaters, but im not going to do that)

are you calling us jackasses? lmao

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
yes... nothing better than random blank-screen/bsods to enjoy my shiny truck sized power hungry gpu! guess i'll have to wait ..... years for this jackasses

I provided you ebay link to the products you wanted, and your calling me a jackass?

Do you need me to direct link a specific one? (55 min to buy at the time of my posting this)

or are you just trolling?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
that looks really promising ( for a future product) but how do you cool it like that? not practical IMO. also its a 150 W tdp / 12 nm part, 7 nm should do the work. i wonder why nvidia didnt launch that????

I think your confused.

Nvidia did launch it. It has massive install base. Nvidia's small form factor products (aka MXM) accounted for 37% of Nvidia's sales in 2nd quarter 2020. I imagine it will be supported in driver updates for at least 5 years.

MXM is very popular with manufacturers. Think Dell, HP, Lenovo, and so on.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
but how do you cool it like that

The easy way is thermal epoxy. Just buy the generic heatsinks on amazon or whatever, and epoxy them on to the VRMs, GPU, and optionally ram.

People do this all the time for overclocking, in this case the card comes pre-stripped.

Manufacturers typically use a machined single plate that sits directly against the VRMs and GPU, with standard thermal paste between them. For the memory they tend to leave it uncooled, although sometimes they will use a thermal fill material (kind of like a thick thermal pad) to cool the gpu memory by bridging the gap to the plate. The plate will sometimes have fins on the back with a fan or two pushing air across it and out of the computer. The other design used has thermal pipes going to a heat transfer radiator elsewhere.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
no! i meant amd / nvidia! not you guys, edit that looks really promising ( for a future product) but how do you cool it like that? not practical IMO. also its a 150 W tdp / 12 nm part, 7 nm should do the work. i wonder why nvidia didnt launch that????

Its simply not an easy sell for a desktop - you take a top tier chip, bin it to get the best silicon then down clock/power limit it so far that it drops a tier or two in performance. The very low power draw means you can charge a big premium for that in a laptop.

In a desktop you'd be up against the desktop clocked cheaper/smaller chips with the same performance and a (mildly upwards) higher power draw. Fairly niche appeal. There have been some small form factor machines try to support it.

The 2080 mobile might actually not match the consoles, the 3070 mobile that is due should definitely do. It'll be a little while before standard desktop cards do.

Dec 6, 2008
yes! and i would pay premium for that very low power GPU for my pc! and other people ! 3090 is also a niche but that doesnt seem to stop nvidia in the dck measuring contest department! i bet they could launch a console like gpu ( or better) without down clocking gold silicon, just with half the bag of tricks they have , just cut out the fat, cheaper tighter bus with massive L3 cache ? cheating with massive delta color compression, DLSS, VRS , variable shading, ? etc) it seems now amd an nvidia have a free pass TO BE LAZY that's all

Its simply not an easy sell for a desktop - you take a top tier chip, bin it to get the best silicon then down clock/power limit it so far that it drops a tier or two in performance. The very low power draw means you can charge a big premium for that in a laptop.

In a desktop you'd be up against the desktop clocked cheaper/smaller chips with the same performance and a (mildly upwards) higher power draw. Fairly niche appeal. There have been some small form factor machines try to support it.

The 2080 mobile might actually not match the consoles, the 3070 mobile that is due should definitely do. It'll be a little while before standard desktop cards do.

Dec 6, 2008
I think what you ask for will come quicker than anyone expects.
i hope that 2 but I'm not holding my breath both amd and nvidia seem happy half assing the power efficiency to ridiculous levels now, its all about the maximum boost, maximum clock, oc extreme led bs competition and lees about the genuine real improvement in efficiency

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
i hope that 2 but I'm not holding my breath both amd and nvidia seem happy half assing the power efficiency to ridiculous levels now, its all about the maximum boost, maximum clock, oc extreme led bs competition and lees about the genuine real improvement in efficiency
I think you should watch carefully upcoming GPU market. Especially Q1 2021.

:)