When can we expect AMD Pre-built systems and/or motherboards capable of using Intel Optane DIMMs?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Not NVDIMM-P (which comes later) but the actual Intel Optane DIMMs (which are strictly 3DXPoint without any DDR4 on board).

The reason I ask is because I think this tech would be very useful even if it is just used for cache via an updated version of AMD StoreMI.

P.S. Some encouraging comments from Rob Crooke back in 2016:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/310...mory-to-work-on-amd-pcs.html#tk.rss_computers

Intel's lightning-fast Optane SSDs and memory won't be limited to PCs featuring the company's own chips, but could work with PCs based on AMD processors as well.

Intel wants to make adoption of Optane easy for makers of PCs and servers regardless of the chips they use, said Rob Crooke, senior vice president and general manager of the company's Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group, in an interview.

(I hope his sentiment carries forward to the DIMMs)

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if we see the Chinese x86 Server CPUs (based on Zen) using the Optane DIMMs?

Mar 11, 2004
Intel just announced they were shipping those like a week and half ago, so it'll probably be a bit still. Good that Intel would be fine supporting their product in AMD systems, although I think its more that Intel wouldn't want to limit a niche product any more than it will already naturally be early on in its lifecycle. We'll see where its performance/benefit and cost end up, that will dictate it being utilized more than anything.