When are thin CRTs expected?

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Hey all...I'm going to be building a new computer around August next year, and I was wondering if thin CRTs are gonna be out by or around then. I think these will be a great alternative to LCDs...cheaper, brighter, they don't have native resolutions, and so on, and I would definitley want one to go along with my next computer.

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
Don?t hold your breath. The company that was pioneering that technology has abandoned the project.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Gosharkss
Don?t hold your breath. The company that was pioneering that technology has abandoned the project.

wasnt it IBM that was doing research on this?

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
The company that I knew of was Candesent, maybe IBM is doing something they always have something up their sleeve. However my bet would be they are working on LCD technology.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Yea, I remember hearing the name Candesent...so they've abandoned it completely? Any details? I thought this would have been a very viable alternative to LCDs.

dayg

Feb 20, 2001
did a search for that company name....nothing comes up....oh well...

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by: PepperBreath
It's Candescent.

The webpage is still up. Looks like they're still working on it.

Pepper here is a newspaper article from 2001

Published on December 11, 2001, San Jose Mercury News (CA)
CANDESCENT ABANDONS ITS GRAND PLANS
PRODUCT SHIFTED
50 LET GO
San Jose's Candescent Technologies, a designer of high-tech flat-panel displays that raised more than $600 million in venture capital, is abandoning plans to make its product -- becoming one of the largest start-ups to fizzle in Silicon Valley history. The company laid off at least 50 of its approximately 100 workers last week, and is now slimming down to a remnant of its former self to license its technology to anyone who will buy it, company leaders and investors confirmed.

I'm really disappointed about this, I also thought this was a up and comming technology.

Try calling them and see what they say.