When are the next wave of Window phone 7 coming out ??

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I seriously would like to try one out but I'm not going to settle for first generation of WP7.
While we see the next wave of Android phones(mostly dual core), no mention of any new WP7 phones.
I was just in a store and played with a WP7 and it was so smooth even with the old snapdragon.
I can imagine a WP7 with dual core and maybe a qHD screen.
The best looking WP7 phone, Omnia 7 wasn't even available in the US.
The next major updates are coming. Where are the new phones ??

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
WP7 doesn't support dual core yet. It's based on Windows CE, which just got dual-core support in version 7.0 which was released in March. So it's possible we won't see any dual-core WP7 phones until next year.

The next wave of WP7 phones will likely be based on the second-gen Snapdragon like the one in the HTC Thunderbolt. I know there is the Dell "Wrigley" phone which sounds like it will be an updated Venue Pro coming later this year. Not sure about any others, though.

Right now 800x480 is the only supported resolution for WP7, so don't hold your breath for a qHD screen anytime soon.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Ya, the specs from their conference hinted at only a CPU upgrade and more internal sensors as the only major things changing. Granted, once they add multitasking(depending how they do it) it might tax the first gen phones a little more, but as they are they are fine.
And if the update isn't coming until late fall(I'm not getting my hopes up before Christmas), the new phones will most likely come then and have Mango already installed.
Depending how big of an upgrade the 2nd gen phones are, I may or may not even bother upgrading hardware. You should get one now off contract to play around with, they're cheap as everyone wants their Androids and iPhones. Don't deprive yourself if you're curious, I was too and jumped in and don't regret it at all!

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
^ I agree. I got myself the HD7. Spec-wise it's far behind the current Android superphones, but WP7 runs damn fast regardless. Android always feels like it's asking a little too much from its hardware, whereas I never get that feeling from WP7.

Check out this video of the Atrix vs the Samsung Focus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZEdxqZt6uw

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
They have an official announcement about the next software version may 25. they also updated the hardware spec to include the next gen of snapdragon - single core. I'd expect them by Christmas.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
When WP7 gets an app that lets me play any type of video file (as seen in Android and iOS), I will consider it more seriously. Having to use Zune software was the stupidest thing ever.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I love this obsession with dual core, and I am sure all the phone manufacturers do too.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Honestly, I don't feel like I need dual core on my WinMoPho, it seems to run just fine, and will run better once some more updates drop. I want the software updates, and wouldn't mind some higher res devices. But my contract isn't up until next year anyway, so it is moot for me.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Loving my HD7 so far. It may be a single core CPU but it runs slick. I only have 2 main complaints. The Zune software which is absolute garbage, and the lack of mp3 ringtones.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting the Omnia 7.
Its the best looking WP7 phone but I'm with T-mobile so no 3G.
HD7 is OK but I'm tired with HTC and their milking of that form factor.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I love this obsession with dual core, and I am sure all the phone manufacturers do too.

They all know people won't buy them until they either A)sell their existing phone, which costs the manufacturer a sale, or B) their existing contract comes up for an upgrade, or C)the dual core phone is much cheaper.

Contrary to AT, most people cannot afford to dropp 600+ on a phone every couple of months. :p

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
They all know people won't buy them until they either A)sell their existing phone, which costs the manufacturer a sale, or B) their existing contract comes up for an upgrade, or C)the dual core phone is much cheaper.

Contrary to AT, most people cannot afford to dropp 600+ on a phone every couple of months. :p

I beg to differ. It is the people with the least amount of money that have the nicest phones. My company does a lot of work in low income neighborhoods, and I see more EVO's, EPIC's, iPhones, etc than I do in nicer neighborhoods. It's the same concept of the people who buy escalades, yet live in government housing. People without money have to have the newest, "coolest" stuff. Whether it is clothes, phones, cars, etc. Of course money management is probably not their strong suit.

It is the american way to go after the people with no money. That is how the lottery was born. Do they have a choice? Yes. Are people with nothing going to jump at the chance to to have something? Yes.

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting the Omnia 7.
Its the best looking WP7 phone but I'm with T-mobile so no 3G.
HD7 is OK but I'm tired with HTC and their milking of that form factor.

What form factor? A big touchscreen on the front, buttons on the bottom, earpiece on top?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
What form factor? A big touchscreen on the front, buttons on the bottom, earpiece on top?

HTC has been milking practically the exact same phone body since the HD2 came out in September 2009. The HD2, Evo, Desire HD, HD7, HD7S, Thunderbolt...all pretty much the same body.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010

My first real smartphone was the HD2.
Ever since then HTC has rehash that design over and over again(and none of them look as good as the original).
Just my preference but I don't like it that big.
4" is perfect for me.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
LOL, we think alike.

:) Speaking of which....

Ever since then HTC has rehash that design over and over again(and none of them look as good as the original).

Agreed - none of the ones since then seem quite as sleek as the HD2. They're fatter, the touch buttons aren't as good as the HD2's real buttons, just all around, not as nice looking.

Just my preference but I don't like it that big.
4" is perfect for me.

Also agreed.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Lets look at all the clones after the HD2.
- EVO
- Desire HD
- HD7
- Inspire 4G
- Thunderbolt
- EVO 3D
- Desire HD2
- Sensation 4G

How many more can HTC rehash the form factor ??
People will say "what more can HTC do with a 4.3" screen" ?? but I see Samsung lineup and I don't see the same design over and over.
Perfect example is the Vibrant and Captivate.
Same exact phone but you wouldn't know it by just looking at it.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
- EVO
- Desire HD
- HD7
- Inspire 4G
- Thunderbolt
- EVO 3D
- Desire HD2
- Sensation 4G

People will say "what more can HTC do with a 4.3" screen" ?? but I see Samsung lineup and I don't see the same design over and over.

Well if you have a better way to package a 4.3" screen and a row of capacitive buttons, I'm sure HTC would love to hear from you. The backs of all the phones you listed look pretty different to me, and that's all they can really change.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
- EVO
- Desire HD
- HD7
- Inspire 4G
- Thunderbolt
- EVO 3D
- Desire HD2
- Sensation 4G

apple does the same thing, use a design for 2-3 years with some interior changes. takes too long and costs too much to have a new design every year

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well if you have a better way to package a 4.3" screen and a row of capacitive buttons, I'm sure HTC would love to hear from you. The backs of all the phones you listed look pretty different to me, and that's all they can really change.

Get rid of the damn capacitive buttons for starters, dumbest trend in cell phones.