When are the Democrats going to get their act together?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Honestly the Dems forgot Bill Clinton's lessons and reverted to pre-Clinton liberalism especially during Obama's second term. The best winning combination for Dems would have been Hillary's economic policies and Mike Huckabee's social policies.

Mike Huckabee's social policies are enormously unpopular so it's hard to see why that would have been helpful.

In fact after reading over them a bit they are downright deranged. No candidate from either party could ever be elected running on such an extremist social platform.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 16, 2005
Honestly the Dems forgot Bill Clinton's lessons and reverted to pre-Clinton liberalism especially during Obama's second term. The best winning combination for Dems would have been Hillary's economic policies and Mike Huckabee's social policies.
LOL... fuckabee's social policies, no, not a chance, seriously how painful was that break with reality?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Yeah, baby; preach it!!!! More riots! More burning sh!t! More beat-downs of people wearing Trump hats! More beating up our profs for bringing people in to say what we don't want to hear! Yeah, bichez, let's get our Chicago 7 on! We define what's acceptable speech, news, thought! Wrong thinking must be crushed!

NOT accusing you of ANY of the above, mind you. Just pointing out that you sacred lefties have your own whackjobs that need to be reigned in.

The Dems do need to get their act together, jettison the Rep wannabees, and move back to being a liberal party. Their transformation into a party of the right over the past three decades has led to their decline. Opposing the fascists is necessary but not sufficient.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Why would Dem's reign them in? If the last 8 years have shown us anything, it's that if you let the whack jobs take over, and get someone as equally nuts with enough money to campaign, you can win the presidency. Reason be damned

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah, baby; preach it!!!! More riots! More burning sh!t! More beat-downs of people wearing Trump hats! More beating up our profs for bringing people in to say what we don't want to hear! Yeah, bichez, let's get our Chicago 7 on! We define what's acceptable speech, news, thought! Wrong thinking must be crushed!

NOT accusing you of ANY of the above, mind you. Just pointing out that you sacred lefties have your own whackjobs that need to be reigned in.
No, I think you were pointing out that you're a dumbass.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Apparently, many millions of comatose people do indeed vote.

Trump won, ironically, due to the same system he regularly criticized during the campaign.

The Dem's do need to do something different. We will see what they come up with.

This is for sure, Con's will continue the crusade against middle class americans, and their loyal new outlets will continue to spin it.
Unfortunately the reason dems are losing is because of congregating in groups. Liberals love and care about other people and choose to be surrounded by them. Thus we have population dense areas that are heavily dem. Conservatives for the most part despise other people and choose to spread out to the shithole parts of the country where the population density is small.
You mean social policies that are basically "treat women like cattle" and "what happened to the good ol' days when you could drag a homo behind your car" and what seems to be Spanish Inquisition levels of forced Christianity?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Unfortunately the reason dems are losing is because of congregating in groups. Liberals love and care about other people and choose to be surrounded by them. Thus we have population dense areas that are heavily dem. Conservatives for the most part despise other people and choose to spread out to the shithole parts of the country where the population density is small.

I agree with your point, but it does not really go far enough. Gerrymandering was also a factor in a lot of the congressional seats.

Besides that I think that there is a number of reasons that the Dems lost. They chose a candidate that did not appeal to many of their core demographics and that the Republicans had started smear campaign against two years before the election even started. The Democrats failed at responding to that smear campaign until it was already much too late. Left leaning voters got complacent and thought that they had an easy victory and because of that too many didn't bother to go out and vote.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Do you have a podcast or email you send out regularly? You're a deep thinker and if you're not doing one or both of those you should.

I really like the "liberals love and care about other people". That's a classic. Some may term subjugation by way of government dependency that way. That would be your target audience. One title could be something along the lines of how close the Democratic Party was to winning the war on poverty until Trump got elected. That one would play really well.

Then, sensing that you need a counterpoint you ponder for a millisecond and declare that "conservatives for the most part despise other people". Talk about riveting. Shit man, your talent is being wasted.

The message - my team is fanfuckingtastic because I feel we are, the other team - despicable human beings because I feel they are. That shit always play well.

You're a stereotype.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Do you have a podcast or email you send out regularly? You're a deep thinker and if you're not doing one or both of those you should.

I really like the "liberals love and care about other people". That's a classic. Some may term subjugation by way of government dependency that way. That would be your target audience. One title could be something along the lines of how close the Democratic Party was to winning the war on poverty until Trump got elected. That one would play really well.

Then, sensing that you need a counterpoint you ponder for a millisecond and declare that "conservatives for the most part despise other people". Talk about riveting. Shit man, your talent is being wasted.

The message - my team is fanfuckingtastic because I feel we are, the other team - despicable human beings because I feel they are. That shit always play well.

You're a stereotype.
You prove him right with your every post.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

You're a stereotype.

I'll say this: liberals have a damn sight more compassion than the Republicans do, at least right now.

Compassion is not a government health care strategy that raises rates so high that some low-income people would spend half or all of their income on insurance, and would rob millions of people of insurance in the first place. Compassion is not cutting Meals on Wheels purely out of spite. Compassion is not defunding Planned Parenthood's vital clinic services in response to a lie about how its money gets used. And of course, compassion is not waging a war against immigrants based on their religion.

There is a question as to whether or not the Dems have taken poverty and similar issues seriously. But at the same time, Republicans tend to cling to a myth that everyone can always pull themselves up by their bootstraps, social factors (like education, housing and local career opportunities) be damned. The truth: while you should give people an incentive to pursue work, it's not so simple as yanking out the safety net and hoping no one falls.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It'll be a momentous occasion in history when any conservative takes personal responsibility for anything. They should make it a national holiday or something.

Conservatives have already declared and fully embraced a National Day of Patriotic Devotion, and for no justifiable reason. It will be a tall order for them to claim responsibility for a true event, let alone make another holiday out of something that is actually real.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I recognize a lack of compassion...

Cutting MoW while allowing Trump to spend $10 million/month on personal travel

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
lol, I was about to say the same thing. Gym owner is angry today, the post hit too close for comfort.
I agree. his posts have also devolved into the ramblings of someone I hope is only going through a dry drunk spell and hasn't picked back up. Go to a meeting Boomer! It'll have been 24 years for me at midnight.

Reactions: First

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I agree. his posts have also devolved into the ramblings of someone I hope is only going through a dry drunk spell and hasn't picked back up. Go to a meeting Boomer! It'll have been 24 years for me at midnight.

Congrats on that. I know it's a damned hard road to travel...