Wheelchair bound man gets tasered

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Text

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Deputies inside a courtroom on Tuesday used a Taser to subdue a man accused of holding churchgoers at gunpoint during a robbery.

Wendall Hollingsworth kicked defense attorney Scott Weisman moments after deputies pushed his wheelchair into a Franklin County courtroom, 10TV's Glenn McEntyre reported.

During the struggle to restrain him, a Franklin County Sheriff's deputy was inadvertently shocked by his partner's Taser.

Hollingsworth was immediately removed from the courtroom, but returned short time later, heavily restrained and wearing a spit guard.

Weisman and Judge Julie Lynch attempted to continue with the proceedings, but Hollingsworth interrupted and demanded to be taken back to his cell.

"Take me back to my cell," Hollingsworth said. "I don't want to be part of this farce. This is a farce. Why won't they let me fire you?"

Hollingsworth continued with an obscenity-laced rant against his attorney and the judge, 10TV News reported.

At one point, an attorney said the maximum sentence Hollingsworth could receive is 104 years.

"Give it to me now. Give me 250 years right now," Hollingsworth yelled. "It's unfair. How the (expletive) are you going to treat me fair? Aren't you a catholic? I'm charged with robbing a Catholic church."

Weisman eventually requested that his client be taken to a separate location so that the proceedings could continue.

"I would ask that he be kept in a holding cell," Weisman said. "If issues come up I can address them with him."

Hollingsworth chose not to be present as jury selection continued and opening statements got underway, McEntryre reported.

His attorney said he expects the trial to finish by the end of the week.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Damn, who robs a church?

The same people who rob anything else? What makes churches special?

Its like robbing from a robber? You just don't do that.

*sits back and waits for the flames.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Damn, who robs a church?

*hands you some popcorn*

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Damn, who robs a church?

*hands you some popcorn*

tealk. paging tealk.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: andylawcc
what? the wheelchair dude didn't get tasered.

look at it again, he got hit...the cop pointed it directly at him at a distance less than a foot.

The reaction from the other cop probably came from being struck by the dude who was on the ground behind the desk, or he may been injured when the dude dragged him down.

what you see him pull out is his radio, not one of the prongs from the taser.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
What a sad state our police are in these days. they can't even restrain a wheelchair bound man without using a taser. They really need to reign in the use of tasers. Every time they are used, there is the risk of death to the subject. Ban Tasers!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Baloo
What a sad state our police are in these days. they can't even restrain a wheelchair bound man without using a taser. They really need to reign in the use of tasers. Every time they are used, there is the risk of death to the subject. Ban Tasers!

are we going ot get into this bs again?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I agree with Baloo. Even if they guy deserved to be tasered, he was in a wheel chair. If they wanted to stop his escape they would just have to put a stick in his spokes. (its not like he would be able to get very far anyways)

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Wheezer
Originally posted by: andylawcc
what? the wheelchair dude didn't get tasered.

look at it again, he got hit...the cop pointed it directly at him at a distance less than a foot.

The reaction from the other cop probably came from being struck by the dude who was on the ground behind the desk, or he may been injured when the dude dragged him down.

what you see him pull out is his radio, not one of the prongs from the taser.

You might want to look at it again. You can see the cord from the taser to the prong move when the deputy moves away, not too mention the article states that the deptuy was inadvertenly shocked.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Cogman
I agree with Baloo. Even if they guy deserved to be tasered, he was in a wheel chair. If they wanted to stop his escape they would just have to put a stick in his spokes. (its not like he would be able to get very far anyways)

He could, apparently, flail his body and kick his legs fairly well. Anybody who struggles like that deserves to get tazed, even if they are in a wheelchair.