Whats your favorite elder scrolls game?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I actually prefer the modern Fallout games over the modern TES games. I like the setting more and these open world games seem to suit guns.

Anxiously awaiting news for Fallout 4 which must be in development.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns

with fewer cities, no guilds, no magic, different leveling system, different theme (post-apo vs fantasy)

but with improved companions, improved controls (you can build settlements in-game realtime), improved stability,

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
with fewer cities, no guilds, no magic, different leveling system, different theme (post-apo vs fantasy)

but with improved companions, improved controls (you can build settlements in-game realtime), improved stability,

FO3 was the least stable Bethesda game made. Seriously, never got it to ever run stable on a 64 bit windows, Vista or 7, Nvidia or AMD GPU. Had to play through it on an old Dell Inspiron 531 tower I used for Seti@Home, X2 4000, 2GB of RAM, and a Radeon 5670.

I don't recall building settlements in FO3?

And Bethesda's style doesn't lend itself to good companions. New Vegas had OK companions, but it was made by Obsidian. All the decent followers for ES games have come from mods.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
FO3 was the least stable Bethesda game made. Seriously, never got it to ever run stable on a 64 bit windows, Vista or 7, Nvidia or AMD GPU. Had to play through it on an old Dell Inspiron 531 tower I used for Seti@Home, X2 4000, 2GB of RAM, and a Radeon 5670.

I don't recall building settlements in FO3?

And Bethesda's style doesn't lend itself to good companions. New Vegas had OK companions, but it was made by Obsidian. All the decent followers for ES games have come from mods.

It was made for XP.
And it runs great on XP. That doesnt mean its the least stable game they ever made.
Skyrim runs great on Win7, but its also much newer.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I know what you mean, and the lighting in Skyrim is part of the problem. The lighting in Oblivion was 100x better.

Agreed. But installing an ENB solves that issue. I use Project ENB with COT - On top of 25+ 2K and 4K texture mods. Feels like a new game....

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Agreed. But installing an ENB solves that issue. I use Project ENB with COT - On top of 25+ 2K and 4K texture mods. Feels like a new game....

Yea, I just started playing it and before even bothering to seriously get into it, I installed and tested around 175 mods. The graphics mods make a world of difference (even with just 2k and 1k textures).

Make sure you run the optimizer, it makes a world of difference as well.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Yea, I just started playing it and before even bothering to seriously get into it, I installed and tested around 175 mods. The graphics mods make a world of difference (even with just 2k and 1k textures).

Make sure you run the optimizer, it makes a world of difference as well.

I have heard that, haven't tried it yet. I did turn off DOF (I don't like it anyway) then I also moved SSAO from quality 1 to quality 2 and that makes the game run 50FPS+ pretty much the whole time. I have a vram usage of 2.8GB in some areas @ 1080P.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
to be honest the only one i liked gameplay wise was skyrim. the others had way too simplistic combat. and OP i don't know how u played Skyrim, but there's so much to do that it kept me going for hours. i had to uninstall @ 75hours as i still had barely touched the main quest line & it was cutting into my social life.:p

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
It was made for XP.
And it runs great on XP. That doesnt mean its the least stable game they ever made.
Skyrim runs great on Win7, but its also much newer.

I said least stable Bethesda game, not ever made. :p

There's no reason why it was completely unplayable under Vista and 7 64 bit. Like I said, I had to play through FO3 on my 32bit Vista test machine. Fortunately, the game didn't have as much replay value for me and I was able to move on to better titles after beating FO3.