What's your credit score (covert brag thread)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Yeah no data tends to not be good, but it's easy enough to get some by getting a basic credit card. I got my first CC at 18, limit was like $500 if I recall. It was enough to pay for web hosting and domain registration and other online stuff. I always used credit from that point and always paid on time so probably why my score is so high now days. I use credit regularly but also pay it off. Though I always wondered if paying it off too soon (that I never pay interest) was bad or not. Probably not given where I'm at. At the end of the day it's just a number though, I don't think anything over 750 matters much as far as being able to get good rates etc.

Pay all your balances before they are due so you would not have to pay any interest = ok, never bad.

Again, want to have good credit score (750-760 of FICO and higher)? Do these things - ALWAYS, again, ALWAYS pay on time, never late + Use only 30% of your credit line or less + The longer you have credit = better + Have different types of credit (student loan, credit cards, home loan, etc.) + Don't open a bunch of credit cards or loans or credit lines within a short period of time.

Below is how your credit score is calculated by FICO (5 major factors).

ce_FICO-Score-chart.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah that's pretty much my situation. Probably why mine is so high.

I plan to buy bush property once I find something good so that will mean maxing out my credit line for a while so I'll probably take a hit there, but chances are I'll still be in an ok situation overall.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't know. My bank provides a free credit score but it is one of those fake scores that is based on a different scale to convince their customers that they are doing great and to maybe take on more debt.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Don't open a bunch of credit cards or loans or credit lines within a short period of time.

If you already have good credit this one isn't as bad as you'd think. When we bought our house my mortgage company was 9 months late reporting this to the credit bureaus. Being 9 months later I thought I was fine to get a car loan. And open 2 new credit cards. Well those all ended up hitting the same month. I went from 804 to 755. But 2-3 months later everything had recovered.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Mine's 829, but the only time it matters is when you're wanting to borrow money. I can't stand how it will dip 20-50 points based on incidental CC debt. (we don't normally keep a balance) It actually says my usage has changed from 6.81% to 5.44%....I need to use my CC's more so I get all the perks!

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
But...but...but...but...they have "free" healthcare. :D

So do we, but for some strange reason it is only offered to old farts like me. I do not see why getting old makes me more worthy than you whippersnappers.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Not sure what my FICO is, but my Vantage score is ~750. I'm dinged mostly for starting a new mortgage a few months ago and the outstanding balance is high compared to the original loan amount. I was over 800 before taking on the mortgage.

The big purchase of my life is done, so I don't really care for this ding as I'm not planning on taking out any new mortgages or car loans over the next few years.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My Credit Karma score is up to 834 now. My FICO store is still around the 750 range, though. I have a short sale on my credit report from 6 years ago, which made it drop from 820 to 680 overnight.

Pro-tip, never buy a condo at that height of a housing bubble and then try to sell it 5 years later :)