what's wrong with my car???

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
today as i was trying to drive to school, i got in my car.. started it up normally, but i couldn't put it into first gear... tried second, couldn't do that.. couldn't get into third, or fourth either.. i got into fifth and reverse... so i turned off the car.. put it into gear, stepped down on the clutch, started the car.. ok.. it can move forward.. pull it out of gear, can't put it back into first, second, third... etc...

so does anyone know of the problem? i need this car to commute back and forth from home to home (san francisco to san jose), so at least for the next couple days i can take the bus to school.. but i need it on friday to go back home.. any one know about this??

thanks in advance for your help

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Sounds like your clutch is going out, how many miles do you have on your car? What kind of car is it?

Definately clutch problems.

Here's what you do ;
Look under the hood for a clutch master cylinder or a Clutch cable.

If you have a Clutch Master Cylinder,check the fluid,it should be between Min and Max.
If it is down below the Min level,air has most likely been introduced into the hydraulic system causing clutch malfunction.

If you have a Clutch Cable,check the adjustment where the cable passes through the firewall or where the cable attaches to the transmission bellhousing. (Tighten Cable slack)

If niether of these help,you may have a broken pressure plate/throw out bearing,clutch fork or disc.
Also highly possible is a defective master cylinder or slave cyclinder.

For a more indepth diagnosis,PM me and I will be glad to assist you.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
For emergencies, did you know it's possible to drive a stick w/o using the clutch? The only trick is what to do when you come to a stop: Kill the motor, put the car into first gear, then use the starter motor to get the car rolling, once it's rolling, you can shift up and down gears.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: habib89
today as i was trying to drive to school, i got in my car.. started it up normally, but i couldn't put it into first gear... tried second, couldn't do that.. couldn't get into third, or fourth either.. i got into fifth and reverse... so i turned off the car.. put it into gear, stepped down on the clutch, started the car.. ok.. it can move forward.. pull it out of gear, can't put it back into first, second, third... etc...

so does anyone know of the problem? i need this car to commute back and forth from home to home (san francisco to san jose), so at least for the next couple days i can take the bus to school.. but i need it on friday to go back home.. any one know about this??

thanks in advance for your help

It's not the clutch or clutch related. If it was, he wouldn't have 5th and reverse. It's more than likely a shifter linkage problem. A bushing wore/fell out or something like that. Mark my words and rate me accordingly.

Jemcam

It's not the clutch or clutch related. If it was, he wouldn't have 5th and reverse. It's more than likely a shifter linkage problem. A bushing wore/fell out or something like that. Mark my words and rate me accordingly.

You may be right,I didn't catch "i got into fifth and reverse" the first time around.

PM me

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I agree with jemcam and brutskwhatshisname.

Its probably not a clutch issue, but rather a syncro issue or linkage problem. I'd vote worn linkage myself.

I wonder.. When he says it would not go into gear, was it just spongy, or like there was no indention there for the lever to go into? How hard was he pushing to get it into gear? Did it not feel "normal" so he stopped trying, or would no amount of forcing get it into gear...??

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
you go home from college every weekend?

yah i do.. home is in san francisco, and i go to san jose state.. which is only about.. 45 mins without traffic.. so to me it's worth it to go back home and get a home cooked meal and some money.. :)

btw, it's a.. '82 rx7, with 125k miles..

and roger, you got pm

also, thanks everyone for your help.. hopefully i can get it home this weekend

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I gotta agree with the others, this seems like a syncro or a linkage problem.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
For emergencies, did you know it's possible to drive a stick w/o using the clutch? The only trick is what to do when you come to a stop: Kill the motor, put the car into first gear, then use the starter motor to get the car rolling, once it's rolling, you can shift up and down gears.

What car do you have that will start in gear without the clutch being in? The cars I have seen have a safety to prevent starting in gear.

DeadHead

Jun 12, 2002
I use to have a problem similar, did you try reving the engine and trying to force it in gear. You also want to try and get it to roll a little also. Its defently not the clutch simply going out though.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
well to serve as a bump, and as an update, here's the situation

i left the car at my college home.. but before i left there to come back to my parents' home, i tried it again, and couldn't get into gear again.. none of the gears worked this time.. i tried reverse but it gave me this grinding sound.. scared the crap out of me.. so i shut off the engine, and hitched a ride from my housemate... anyway.. that's the current situation.. my dad is going to call AAA to get it towed to a gas station.. i'm borrowing his car for the week..

and also, thanks to everyone who tried to help out.. it's much appreciated

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: slag
I agree with jemcam and brutskwhatshisname.

Its probably not a clutch issue, but rather a syncro issue or linkage problem. I'd vote worn linkage myself.

I wonder.. When he says it would not go into gear, was it just spongy, or like there was no indention there for the lever to go into? How hard was he pushing to get it into gear? Did it not feel "normal" so he stopped trying, or would no amount of forcing get it into gear...??

i tried forcing it in.. forcing meaning i actually pushed with a decent amount of muscle.. usually it goes in pretty smoothly, but i didn't feel indentations or anything.. almost like i was pushing aganist a cushioned bar cause it was sorta "spongy"