What's up with women baring their breasts at concerts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
OP, I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop questioning the gloriously spontaneous display of boobies now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will kill you.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Lawsuits in some states have resulted in rulings that if it's legal for men to go topless it's legal for women to do the same.

SNJ

Dec 20, 2013
If both breasts and penises have sexual connotations, then either both should be banned from being flashed or none. Double standards are unjust.

Plus, flashing body parts that are meant to be covered up is just plain obscene.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If both breasts and penises have sexual connotations, then either both should be banned from being flashed or none. Double standards are unjust.

Plus, flashing body parts that are meant to be covered up is just plain obscene.

We are slowly moving on from a society that considers the female breast as obscene.

Please move to your nearest red state, go to church, and give us 10 hail marys.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

Common sense tells us that a penis, a vagina, male breasts and female breasts are not the same thing. Trying to draw a false equivalence to achieve some false sense of fairness is just silly.

This is the same reason human judges applying sound reasoning to reasonable laws are better than zero tolerance laws can ever be. Not perfect, mind you, but better.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

But that just raises the question of who gets to say which body parts 'have sexual connotations'. So it doesn't really prove anything. You could equally well argue that its a double-standard that says female breasts have sexual connotations while male ones don't. Connotations are in the eye of the beholder. Who gets to do the connotating? (Hmmm, maybe that's not a word).

Genitals are directly involved in sex in a kind of essential way, so maybe that is a bit less arbitrary. But the chest area? Not sure how you can argue that's an objective thing.

Your second sentence is just ludicrously circular. Flashing body parts that are meant to be covered up may be obscene, but which body parts are meant to be covered up? That's the question at issue.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
But that just raises the question of who gets to say which body parts 'have sexual connotations'. So it doesn't really prove anything. You could equally well argue that its a double-standard that says female breasts have sexual connotations while male ones don't. Connotations are in the eye of the beholder. Who gets to do the connotating? (Hmmm, maybe that's not a word).

Genitals are directly involved in sex in a kind of essential way, so maybe that is a bit less arbitrary. But the chest area? Not sure how you can argue that's an objective thing.

Your second sentence is just ludicrously circular. Flashing body parts that are meant to be covered up may be obscene, but which body parts are meant to be covered up? That's the question at issue.

Exactly, and it's better to let voters, lawmakers and judges make that call than say all or nothing or it's unjust.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005

There is nothing obscene about a boobie.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
retro-clipart-of-a-woman-and-man-with-beer-beer-helping-people-get-lucky-for-over-300-years-retro-poster-by-andy-nortnik-273.jpg

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Men don't have breasts. Well maybe your girly girly guys, with earrings and studs and cologne, but not real guys. They (we) have pecs.

Last edited: