Question What's up with windows 10 updates wreaking chaos upon my programs every now and then?

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
It is not like I love windows 10...I only switched because of new hardware support. If not for that, I would have stayed with windows 8.1 (Lovely OS once you pair it with your favorite start menu program). This is not to mention windows 10 privacy issues. I have been using it since two years probably, but I really started to really hate it as of recently. Windows 10 updates issues are now more often! I can't believe something will just break if you decided to update. Before I was kinda of blaming software vendors not keeping up with windows but I started to feel windows 10 is the actual culprit. Why would I have to upgrade my lovely Vmware copy to the latest version if my current version is still valid and supported?

Yes, there are workarounds and you can use virtualbox but still...I want my Vmware to work.

My android emulator also stopped working (MEmu) ! It either hangs or crashes or gets me the BSOD. Not to mention other software programs. Heck, I can't even login to certain websites!!! (Only the updated windows 10 box can't access certain pages). This is driving me nuts.

This is windows 10 1903 update I'm talking about. I can't believe I will dealing with such issues every time I update my windows 10. Is it me or anybody else noticing this? It is more like a trend than a temporary problem.

Sorry for my anger, but I needed to release it.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
It's because MS is no longer testing Windows builds on a wide array of pc configurations, before releasing it to the public. That's been farmed out to the user. They hope to glean enough info from telemetry to retroactively find flaws. Enjoy being a regression tester ... I mean ... guinea pig.

( Note: I can't verify testing procedures, just repeating something a former MS employee says. Also, I don't use Win10. )

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Virtualization software hooks many stuff directly to system kernels, some probably not documented, Windows system update almost always disrupt something.

VMware has been like this for years. Many times you need a re-installation or a newer version.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Sigh.....for the umpteenth time it is NOT the responsibility of the OS manufacturer to make sure your programs are compatible with the latest version. It is the responsibility of the software manufacturer to ensure that their product works on the latest version of an OS.

Microsoft bends over backwards to try an ensure compatibility with older software programs to the point were it can become a security concern. Try getting that out of Apple or even Linux...heh good luck.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Think you got problems? We have it easy compared to the Mac community. Apples latest release has killed at least 235 apps and counting.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Sigh.....for the umpteenth time it is NOT the responsibility of the OS manufacturer to make sure your programs are compatible with the latest version. It is the responsibility of the software manufacturer to ensure that their product works on the latest version of an OS.

Microsoft bends over backwards to try an ensure compatibility with older software programs to the point were it can become a security concern. Try getting that out of Apple or even Linux...heh good luck.

Well, I haven't seen something like this in previous versions of windows. If it was only one software, I would shut up. I'm afraid I will end up with only notepad working!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Android emulators almost always use stripped VMware or VirtualBox technologies underneath
and almost always conflict with existing VMware or Virtualbox installation.

Tried many emulators and always have problems. Use another machine for your emulator. Or see if emulator can run inside VMware VM.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If you are running vMware Workstation 14, vMware just released an update yesterday to fix this issue (14.1.8). If you are running something older, you are probably out of luck unless someone in the community figures out a fix or you upgrade.

If you decide to upgrade, watch vMware's website on Black Friday - the last two years both new licenses and upgrades were 45% off regular prices.

If you are running Win10 Pro, have you looked at moving your VMs over to Hyper V?