What's up with spike in AMD'S stock?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I wouldnt even call it a spike until it hits at least $4.

Well it went up another 6.5% today! That's almost 30% increase in 3 weeks!! Damn wish I got in on that but man I assumed it was top risky.:(
It's 1 year high was $3...so $4 is very unlikely.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
AMD up again off of news from GDC

bought 570 shares @ 1.95 sometime in February because it was how much free money I had open in my ROTH

wish I threw more money at AMD when it dipped into the low 1.80s though

I need to plan an exit point soon since I'll be shocked if this does not get sold off before earnings

Good for u man, that's an awesome profit that uve made! I'd sell soon cause u can't complain about a 30% profit in just under a month! Earnings call is next week March 21st....u guys think it'll jump another 10% before then? 10% ain't too shabby with just one week away....

I just dont understand the crazy rise, are ppl that optimistic about the earnings report/future of AMD that they're all buying in? Their 1 year price target is $1.87, now it's $2.68....too high too fast?

Last edited:

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Good for u man, that's an awesome profit that uve made! I'd sell soon cause u can't complain about a 30% profit in just under a month! Earnings call is next week March 21st....u guys think it'll jump another 10% before then? 10% ain't too shabby with just one week away....

I just dont understand the crazy rise, are ppl that optimistic about the earnings report/future of AMD that they're all buying in? Their 1 year price target is $1.87, now it's $2.68....too high too fast?
You're off by a month for the earnings call.

Someone at Seekingalpha recently had a look at NVDAs and AMDs valuation (fundamental approach as not liked by me) and found, that AMD's stock should be 7x higher based on that alone.

I think according to the high short interest, that there are a lot of ppl, who placed a bet on AMD's chapter 11. Coming from $3-8 in the last years, they can only gain another $1.8, when AMD trades that low. But even cautious traders might see a buying opportunity at that level, causing the shortie's paper profit to melt.

And maybe we're just witnessing some algo trading with some funny feedback loops.

Mar 10, 2006
You're off by a month for the earnings call.

Someone at Seekingalpha recently had a look at NVDAs and AMDs valuation (fundamental approach as not liked by me) and found, that AMD's stock should be 7x higher based on that alone.

I think according to the high short interest, that there are a lot of ppl, who placed a bet on AMD's chapter 11. Coming from $3-8 in the last years, they can only gain another $1.8, when AMD trades that low. But even cautious traders might see a buying opportunity at that level, causing the shortie's paper profit to melt.

And maybe we're just witnessing some algo trading with some funny feedback loops.

IMO, it's pretty clear that the stock is being driven up by hype around AMD's upcoming GDC presentation with these folks eagerly awaiting Polaris 10 benchmarks in the hopes that it'll move the stock, heh. Just go look at StockTwits' AMD feed to see what I'm talking about.

http://stocktwits.com/symbol/AMD

Like I said, story is super easy to sell to retail investors. Doesn't take a lot of capital to "grease the wheels" on AMD shares & once it gets moving, retail jumps on board.

Mar 10, 2006

Earnings call is in April, FYI.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
IMO, it's pretty clear that the stock is being driven up by hype around AMD's upcoming GDC presentation with these folks eagerly awaiting Polaris 10 benchmarks in the hopes that it'll move the stock, heh. Just go look at StockTwits' AMD feed to see what I'm talking about.

http://stocktwits.com/symbol/AMD

Like I said, story is super easy to sell to retail investors. Doesn't take a lot of capital to "grease the wheels" on AMD shares & once it gets moving, retail jumps on board.
I see those postings via "Market Pulse" by Yahoo. But for me this is only chit-chat, as it still has a low S/N ratio. I've a CS degree, not in social sciences. ;) Well, there is ML for sentiment analysis. The only true flows of information are price/order flow for trading and serious leaks/bits of information.

BTW, looked at AMD's T&S today: there look to be 10 >=50k trades on the buy side vs. 3 on the sell side, or 2 >=100k buys vs. 0 sells. Numbers might be off by a few percent due to my quickly hacked classificator. But still it doesn't look like only retail traders jumping in. Of course there are profit takers too.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
AMD is so low priced/low valued that even tiny potential sources of good news have a big impact on its price

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Easy come, easy go -- stock down ~8% today.
Exactly, look at these moves caused by everything but fundamental investors. But if it would be serious, there would be more sells going on right now.

Update: Fed moved $AMD by 1ct with little volume. Big buys came back in, after whoever realized, that the artificial discount session is over.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Or it could just be a power play to force nVidia into a better deal on renegotiation. I would see it as a real humiliation to AMD if they leased their supposedly best edge to Intel. Fusion is the Future, etc, but we will license it to our competitor? It would seem an admission that either it was not that great or they could not execute it properly.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Or it could just be a power play to force nVidia into a better deal on renegotiation. I would see it as a real humiliation to AMD if they leased their supposedly best edge to Intel. Fusion is the Future, etc, but we will license it to our competitor? It would seem an admission that either it was not that great or they could not execute it properly.
It would also be a sign that AMD could have leased the needed technology from ATI or Nvidia, without paying through the nose to purchase ATI whole.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Easy come, easy go -- stock down ~8% today.

Well in after hour trading it jumped another 8% when it was announced Intel is in negotiations to license AMD GPUs cause Intel's GPU patents agreement with nvidia expire q1 2017. The roller coaster continues! Lol I don't have any stock in AMD....but it sure is fun to watch. Debating getting in on the next dip but damn for a $1.87 price target & most analysts rating it as a "sell" it's really defying the odds. Stock is trading on pure speculation now.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
It takes a while to implement this licensed IP. So how much money will AMD lose based on your detailed analysis?

It would also be a sign that AMD could have leased the needed technology from ATI or Nvidia, without paying through the nose to purchase ATI whole.
But they couldn't have licensed experience, working toolchains, manpower, nearly finished products, exclusive use of tech, etc. this way. Facebook could simply have licensed Oculus Rift. Are they stupid?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It takes a while to implement this licensed IP. So how much money will AMD lose based on your detailed analysis?

And it took AMD how many years to come up with the first APU product?

But they couldn't have licensed experience, working toolchains, manpower, nearly finished products, exclusive use of tech, etc. this way. Facebook could simply have licensed Oculus Rift. Are they stupid?

Facebook expects to get its money back. Will AMD ever get its ATI money back?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Well in after hour trading it jumped another 8% when it was announced Intel is in negotiations to license AMD GPUs cause Intel's GPU patents agreement with nvidia expire q1 2017. The roller coaster continues! Lol I don't have any stock in AMD....but it sure is fun to watch. Debating getting in on the next dip but damn for a $1.87 price target & most analysts rating it as a "sell" it's really defying the odds. Stock is trading on pure speculation now.

Its 100% emotional stock trading. The volume itself was also peanuts.

Its an interesting stock indeed to follow with these wild swings and why it does so. A live show in irrational behavior.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
AMD is slowly turning out a profit so of course stock will rise. I expect it to rise more later in the year when they release their new products. AMD is at the bottom of the hill right now. There is no more down left, up is the only direction.

Boze

Dec 20, 2004
AMD is slowly turning out a profit so of course stock will rise. I expect it to rise more later in the year when they release their new products. AMD is at the bottom of the hill right now. There is no more down left, up is the only direction.

LOL! Things can always get worse.

hrga225

Jan 15, 2016
LOL! Things can always get worse.

He should read about Murphy's law.In short:

1.When something could go wrong,it will go wrong.
2.When nothing could go wrong,it will go wrong.
3.When absolutely nothing could wrong,it will go wrong.

Aug 11, 2008

Famous last words "it cant go any lower".