What's up with multiple screen names?

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
I don't really get this. One person e-mailed me today, and they gave me all three of their AOL screen names. What is the use of having that many?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I have 7 AIM screennames, i use a different one on every rig i own...

Its useful on the servers cause on those i can tell which ones are working and which arent.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
I use multiple so I can talk to certain people while avoiding others.

It is also useful if you are playing pranks on people.

Some people use different names at school, work, home, cell phone, in class, etc.

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex

Must be pretty annoying for people who want to put you on their buddy list :).

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Dragon365

Not really, i only use 3 of them to talk to people

aphexII
aphexlaptop (which im on now)
and aphexcell

If one of the latter are signed on, they know to message me at that name since thats where i am... Pretty easy :)

godmare

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2002
I don't really get this. One person e-mailed me today, and they gave me all three of their AOL screen names. What is the use of having that many?

To most people, screen names are a form of expression. Clothing may also be a form of expression, as well as cars, houses (interior and exterior), and many other things that don't come to mind at the moment...
The point is, if you use clothing as a form of expression, you may change your outfit two or three times a day to fit your mood or your intended image, or you may redesign the inside of your house or apartment with new furniture and artwork, etc., and cars are often a work-in-progress. So, suppose you have four different screen names to reflect your mood or your desired image.
Then there are the practical applications that have been listed, multiple systems being one of them.

mindwreck

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
i got 3. once i made for fun. one old one i use if my new one gets warned a lot. the new one is my main one.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I have 3. one for regular use, one for when I change genders, and one for when I want to be a 15 year old.

GigaCluster

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2001

aphexII
and aphexcell

If one of the latter are signed on, they know to message me at that name since thats where i am... Pretty easy :)

A "textbook example" for the benefits of Jabber, which lets you uniquely tag each client. For example, I may be "Cluster@jabber.org/Laptop" or "Cluster@jabber.org/Cellphone", and my single username can be online multiple times at different locations. How convenient!

Brymo

Banned
Dec 31, 2002
when i want to talk to people, when i want to talk to certian people, and when i want to screw with people... its nice to have some always there

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: GigaCluster

aphexII
and aphexcell

A "textbook example" for the benefits of Jabber, which lets you uniquely tag each client. For example, I may be "Cluster@jabber.org/Laptop" or "Cluster@jabber.org/Cellphone", and my single username can be online multiple times at different locations. How convenient!

So the one other guy using Jabber can know where you are?