Whats up with INTEL and crappy chipsets lately?????

Diceman

Apr 13, 2000
YOU KNOW...ITS SICKENING! WE ALL LOVE THE BX CHIPSET BUT WE WANT THE NEWER FEATURESLIKE ATA/66/100,PC-133,AGP 4X,ETC.......WHY WONT INTEL STOP RELEASING ALL THESE crappy i8XX this and i8xx thatchipsets and release a souped up "BX" with the new features like VIA had to do?

Obviously with the size and stability of INTEL and the greaat success of the BX chipset........Id really only like to trust my P3's to a good solid intel chipset.......but instead i gotta use the still "green" VIA apollo pro 133a on my ASUS P3V4X.

I want to build a new super machine in the next few months.....but theres no real good chipsets out there.
I was hoping on the i815 chipset.....but built-in video?....WTF?
Looks like me and a boatload of other people are riding out the waves of the VIA chipset and hoping it comes around real soon.

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
Well, IMHO, BX is a very very good chipset. However, still it is gettig old. We can really "rely" on it for the coming time. So a new chipset has to be done.

I agree with you that Intel is doing an extremely bad job in getting another good chipset. 810, 820 are all failures to me. 815 might be better (i need more reviews before a conclusion comes), but I don't think it will be as remarkable as BX.

I can see the reson Intel is doing this. They want OEM to use their boards. Integrated sound and video usually attracts OEM's to use their boards, obviously because of price. I think Intel is doing that trying to maintain its market. But I think they should also focus on chipset, that's just... chipset. no integrate this and that. Like the BX. But I don't think when Intel will do that since they are in great danger with AMD.

And at the same time, disable the on board stuff. That's what I would do, and since there won't be any harm doing that, I don't see much of a difference except it is like getting a lemon tea with no lemon... That's life I guess...

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
Intel flushing itself?
They're rushing hardware too fast to the market and using bandaid approaches to fixing marketing problems (people would not buy RAMBUS)to stay ahead of the smaller guys.
I never dreamed I'd use a VIA chipset but now that I have...I am quite happy with the performance, but there is always room for improvement. At least my VIA chipset works...couldn't say the same for the Intel 820 chipset I fought with for FIVE weeks before I returned it for a refund.

paulzebo

Apr 1, 2000
Every big gaint needs a swift kick every now and then. In search of corporate greed they will find themselves more on the outside than they even currently are.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are things that could be done around the BX chipset too. One of them that already has, has been the implementation of PC133 Ram for higher bus speeds. Now if Graphics card manufacturers would come out with cards capable of running up to 150MHz agp bus, that would solve most of the problems we have overclocking on BX boards. Unfortunately, keep in mind, the industry does not swing to meet the demands of the overclocker, but for the large OEMs.
Companies like Compaq probably like the onboard video, so they can continue to sell their highly integrated, proprietary, over priced pieces of crap.

birddog

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
Intel does not want to build a good chipset that does not include Rambus. I read that Intel has options to buy millions or shares of Rambus stock for $10/share if a certain percentage of motherboard on the market use Rambus. If intel makes a good chipset without Rambus, they will hinder their greedy goal of getting those stock options.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
The fact Intel made deals with Rambus for those stock options isn't in itself sickening. If RDRAM was cheap and had great performance and was available 6 months ago, we would have ate it up. Intel would have made $$$ but I have no trouble with that since consumers also benefited.

However RDRAM wasn't cheap, the performance wasn't any better than PC-133 CAS 2, and you couldn't get it! How could they have not known the timing of this? And does it make any sense to sign a contract like that when you're not sure if your partner (Rambus) was capable of delivering? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Yeah I was leary of going with a via chipset too. I waited as long as I could for an Intel solution to appear. But when buying time came I was forced to go with via's 133A. Know what? It's a great chipset!

Now Intel's 815 is out and not looking anything like a grand slam. I'm happy I chose Via. Perhaps next time around I'll finally take the plunge and go with an AMD chip to boot. Heh.

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
Yeah, why don't they rehire the team that designed the BX chipset. Have them implement ATA 66/100, 4x AGP, and a 133 FSB with the right deviders, and be done with it.

dvch

Jun 28, 2000
Intel is now married to the "hub" bios technology. The BX is a North-South Bridge bios. Theoretically the hub should be a better (faster\more responsive) solution. It is, however fairly new; where the i440BX is the crown of the bridging chipsets. Yes I have and will continue to use Via chipsets-maybe sometime they will actually get one that equals the BX in stability, they are there in pure performance.

JismJim

Jun 24, 2000
There is already a board on the market that meets many if not all the concerns posted in this thread. This board appeared in March of this year from ASUS-The ASUS CUBX. This is a I440BX board on steriods. It has an onboard ATA66 controller, 4 IDE ports (2 are ATA) 2X/4X AGP slot, 6 count em 6 PCI slots and one legacy slot, FCPGA socket 370 so you can run coppermines, 4 DIMM slots not 2 or 3 and last but not least 5 USB ports!

This board is very overclockable and can be run at 133fsb. This board is simply a "souped" up version of the venerable ASUS classic the P2B.
I wrestled somewhat with this board after initial install, but it has run quite stable now for nearly two weeks.

This board may not address every desire by those on this forum but it comes a damn sight closer than the swag being pushed by Intel and certainly more stable than any VIA based chipset could ever hope to be.

Jismjim