What's up with Canadians and ketchup flavored foods?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
While in Canada I've seen quite a few ketchup flavored food options: chips, crackers, sausage sticks etc. and a couple of TV commercials for those.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've tried them all i think and the only ones i like are the Lay's Ketchup Chips, Old Dutch etc is terrible

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think they think it's exotic, because they put mayo on everything instead of ketchup. Plus they have milk in bags.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Every time I hear Canadians talk about bags of milk, I assume they do this because they like to drink straight out of the bag.

Is it some kind of weird fetish thing that Canadians have where they never grow out of drinking milk from bags?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Milk in bags has an interesting history. Has to do with it being easier to package during the pumping process, as they use to pump giant's milk strait from the tit and started doing the same with cows. Giant's milk is more of a delicacy now though, it's not as common and is harder to get, but they continue to use bags for cow milk too.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
While in Canada I've seen quite a few ketchup flavored food options: chips, crackers, sausage sticks etc. and a couple of TV commercials for those.

Before global warming, tomatoes were a rarity. You got canned tomatoes or ketchup. Canned tomatoes were used for pasta sauce, so that left ketchup on everything else.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Mustard is a delicacy reserved for the Queen of Canada, so her subjects are left with ketchup.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I picture a sack of milk to be like a capri sun. At least those stand upright. Can't really imagine a gallon-sized Capri Sun.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I picture a sack of milk to be like a capri sun. At least those stand upright. Can't really imagine a gallon-sized Capri Sun.

No our milk bag is 1.33L, not a gallon. It is sold in one 4L bag containing three of the 1.33L bags.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
so you get two milk bags per day to suck on?

makes sense.

Seems normal to me...

As for ketchup...snoopy hit it right on the head...for Canucks, ketchup, made from that magical red fruit, tomatoes, is VERY exotic...and it's spicy.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
All this leaves me with one nagging question ... why no bagged ketchup?

Whachoo talkin bout, willis?

1664597.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wonder if they will start phasing out milk bags with the plastic ban. That's assuming the Liberals come in and that ban actually happens. I would not really be against it, we need to figure out a way to use reusable containers or at least biodegradable for consumer products and produce less waste. Make everything come in glass bottles you can return. Bring back the milk man! Interestingly there are services now that deliver groceries. We're going full circle. :p

What will probably happen though is cartons will just take over. The few times I buy milk I usually buy in a carton myself just because I don't drink it a lot, I only buy it if I need it for a recipe or something.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I wonder if they will start phasing out milk bags with the plastic ban. That's assuming the Liberals come in and that ban actually happens. I would not really be against it, we need to figure out a way to use reusable containers or at least biodegradable for consumer products and produce less waste. Make everything come in glass bottles you can return. Bring back the milk man! Interestingly there are services now that deliver groceries. We're going full circle. :p

What will probably happen though is cartons will just take over. The few times I buy milk I usually buy in a carton myself just because I don't drink it a lot, I only buy it if I need it for a recipe or something.

Not even part of the target. Think shopping bag, plastic cutlery, bottled water.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not even part of the target. Think shopping bag, plastic cutlery, bottled water.

Seems they have lot of exceptions. I heard bottled water is actually an exception too, which is odd because that is one of the biggest offenders. Trudeau was in the middle of having a stroke when he was talking about it though. lol.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
So given their predilection, is it Canadians that came up with Fancy Ketchup? In a bag. Just currus.

2592474138_81749d78a9_z.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So given their predilection, is it Canadians that came up with Fancy Ketchup? In a bag. Just currus.

2592474138_81749d78a9_z.jpg

Don be ladickulus...Heinz does not export the GOOD stuff to those filthy, unwashed Canuckistanians...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Don be ladickulus...Heinz does not export the GOOD stuff to those filthy, unwashed Canuckistanians...

Actually, those bastards closed the factory here and moved it south. French's now get the tomato paste from Leamington and makes the ketchup in Toronto. As a result, French's picked up a lot of Canadian customers.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually, those bastards closed the factory here and moved it south. French's now get the tonato paste from Leamington and makes the ketchup in Toronto. As a result, French's picked up a lot of Canadian customers.

Yep I try to avoid Heinz now as much as I can.

Actually those packets are another thing that's quite wasteful, wonder if there is any plan for those too. The little paper cups you get if you eat inside are ideal but not sure what is best thing to do for take-out.

There's a poutine place here that also gives jumbo sized ketchup packets. Only place I've ever seen them at. So instead of using like 4-6 of the small ones on your fries you only need one.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Actually, those bastards closed the factory here and moved it south. French's now get the tomato paste from Leamington and makes the ketchup in Toronto. As a result, French's picked up a lot of Canadian customers.
Yep I try to avoid Heinz now as much as I can.

Actually those packets are another thing that's quite wasteful, wonder if there is any plan for those too. The little paper cups you get if you eat inside are ideal but not sure what is best thing to do for take-out.

There's a poutine place here that also gives jumbo sized ketchup packets. Only place I've ever seen them at. So instead of using like 4-6 of the small ones on your fries you only need one.

Silly Canuckers...if it ain't Heinz, it ain't ketchup...no matter what they label as.
( and don't get me started on that abomination called "catsup."

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

you mean we will go back to the 4L plastic jugs we used to buy? The ones you pay a deposit on so you can bring it back for the quarter? Those jugs were recycled.