What's up with billionaires in commercials?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
First it was Mark Cuban then Trump. Both times they weren't advertising any of their products (Trump was advertising cell phone company, Cuban a cola, I think). Anyways, what the appeal for those guys to be in commercials?

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
They want fame, teh money isn't giving them a big enough hard-on.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Trump has a tv show, Cuban is "cool" because he owns an NBA team and doesn't behave like the typical owner. That's why billionares are endorsing products. Besides, it's probably the easiest money they'll make this year.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Trump has a tv show, Cuban is "cool" because he owns an NBA team and doesn't behave like the typical owner. That's why billionares are endorsing products. Besides, it's probably the easiest money they'll make this year.

Cuban has his own TV show in the Dallas area, lol its crap. However he also has a new show on ABC this summer called "The Benefactor". Its currently casting, casting ends on April 4. Filming begins at the end of April. Hes giving $1million of his own cash to the winner, and he isnt being paid for the show. The money he would have been paid is going to be split amongst the "losers". Why is he doing this? Because he can.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PatboyX
you get money for it.
so...
they do it.

I dont think money is the motivating factor. Its more about publicity for both Trump and Cuban. They like having as much as they can get.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: SociallyChallenged
Originally posted by: brigden
Wayne Gretzky shills everything up here in Canada.

Yeah, but he's actually cool.

Id say Cuban is the coolest pro sports team owner. And yes Im aware Gretzky owns part of a NHL team.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They are a spiritual desert and can't find true happiness in the wealth they've created, so they continue on looking for the other thing to satisfy themselves, but they won't find it where they're looking.

KahunaHube

Aug 16, 2001
these guys arent happy sitting still. Their underlying goal is to be remembered after they die.

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
Most of the time, it is simply a case of "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". In regards to Trump. He has MANY business holding doing MANY different things. When you are as diverse as Trump you owe favors and have favors owed to you. It is also publicity.

If I remember correctly, McDonalds has had the largest advertising budget compared to all other companies in the world for about 8 years in a row now. Everyone knows what a McDonalds is, they are just continuing to be in the publics eyes.