Question What's this very loud noise?

premierseiji

Nov 22, 2020
After turning on my computer, there's a very loud noise. I took a video of it:

My computer works just fine, and the loud noise automatically disappears after 5 minutes.

But it's really annoying because it usually reappears again at random intervals.

Is it the CPU fan, GPU fan or something else?

Should I be worried?

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
One of your Fan bearings are shot. Old dry bearings, tend to be stickier and noisier when first started, and they can loosen up a bit when running.

Even what you think of as quiet after the noise disappears is probably still much louder than a new fan would be.

When I replaced my old worn CPU cooler fan it was so much better. My strange old fan on my 12 year old GPU, I just worked some oil into it, to get a bit quieter.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
If you can't manually stop the fans one by one to figure out which one is the culprit (like in the power supply!), there is one other thing you can do to identify it.

You'll need a tube (you can even roll a sheet of paper) and listen through it while pointing at every fan you have.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i am about 80% sure its probably your gpu fan, seeing how the noise seem to pair up with the spin rate on it.
to be sure i would stop the gpu with your finger by putting pressure in the center of the fan to see if it stops the noise.

As for replacing it... they can get pricey.
You may want to either reheat sink that to an aftermarket if its not still under warranty.
If it is, i would send RMA that video and do an RMA on it.

You could probably get away with this guy here:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
i am about 80% sure its probably your gpu fan, seeing how the noise seem to pair up with the spin rate on it.
to be sure i would stop the gpu with your finger by putting pressure in the center of the fan to see if it stops the noise.

As for replacing it... they can get pricey.
You may want to either reheat sink that to an aftermarket if its not still under warranty.
If it is, i would send RMA that video and do an RMA on it.

You could probably get away with this guy here:

It seems odd. I watched the video, which seems to have a mono sound track and the two-dimensional visual. But it just seemed to me that the noise was coming from the GPU fan. I say this, because I was watching the fan spin, and I thought the noise was in sync.

My imagination! But often, the noisiest fan in any box is likely to be the GPU fan or fans.