What's the worst thing a parent could say to their kid?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Briareos

Sep 22, 2004
I don't think there's just one thing a parent says that really messes up their kid. You can bet that anyone that could say something so hurtful to their child has already been practicing though most of that kid's life.

For example I went through years of mental and physical abuse from my father and really I couldn't point to just that one conversation or comment where he crossed the line from bad parent to complete bastard.

Still everyone has their breaking point. When he threw my cat against a wall one day I told him if he ever hurt her again I would kill him.

It had an effect I guess, both my parents moved to another state the next month. I haven't spoken to them in years, but I still have my cat :)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
The thing that would probably hurt the most to hear from a parent would be "I wish you were never born."

No matter how mad or frustrated I get with my son I would never even dream of saying something like that.

Either that or "we should have gone through with the abortion isntead of raising a stupid, lazy, ungrateful little sh!t like you."

Haha, wow, that would hurt. :(

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
"You're a worthless piece of $hit! What the hell do you think you are going to do with your life?" Thanks, mom. Said in the heat of what was a very strenuous time for her, but I will always remember it.

That sucked, and I was arguably one of the most successful kids in my small high school. Heck, probably still am, but I am not one to really benchmark myself against other people. Happiness comes in different forms and is probably one of the most difficult thing to judge.

Nat

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I once heard the quote:"You're the load your Mom should have swallowed" I think that would top it.

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Briareos
I don't think there's just one thing a parent says that really messes up their kid. You can bet that anyone that could say something so hurtful to their child has already been practicing though most of that kid's life.

Very true, not one my father said surprised or hurt me much in it's self, it was just a reminder of a terrible parent he was.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
"Your brother is also your dad."

If someone already said something like that, I'm sorry...I'm really lazy and can't find the patience to read through all of these...