What's the weirdest "small world" thing that has ever happened to you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
my g.f. drove pass my place on the way to work for two and a half years before i finally met her...online heh.

Ketteringo

Banned
Feb 2, 2002
Originally posted by: mpitts
I ran into my ex-fiancee at the Viacom store in Chicago.

We had broke up around nine months earlier and both were living in Flint, MI at the time.

I live in Flint right now! OMGWTFBBQ!?!?!

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
When I was 16, a cop in my hometown ticketed me for speeding. 14 years later and in a city 1,200 miles away, the same cop arrested me for exposing myself to a 68 year old grandma. Talk about a small world.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
When I was 16, a cop in my hometown ticketed me for speeding. 14 years later and in a city 1,200 miles away, the same cop arrested me for exposing myself to a 68 year old grandma. Talk about a small world.

When you say small world, are you talking about the cop, or the exposing part?
ahhahahhaa

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Rufio
Originally posted by: jjones

When you say small world, are you talking about the cop, or the exposing part?
ahhahahhaa

hahaha

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I moved to Phoenix for a summer, got a job working as a rent-a-cop in a contract security company. Ended up working at Verizon for a couple weeks and started talking with the facilities manager. Turns out he went to the same elementary school i did (a few years before me) and lived and grew up less than a mile from where i lived.

BruinGuy

Apr 20, 2001
My family and I were touring the Smithsonian, 2 summers ago. Later that day, we got on a plane and headed back home to Garden Grove, Califonia. We went to chuch the next day, and a guy came up to us and asked my dad, "Were you at the Smithsonian yesterday, because I think I saw you there?"

That was a pretty small world experience.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: mpitts
I ran into my ex-fiancee at the Viacom store in Chicago.

We had broke up around nine months earlier and both were living in Flint, MI at the time.

Riiight. Did she have you arrested for stalking her? ;)

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
I did a weekend mountain bike trip with this girl and a bunch of her friends. On the way up to the trail head we got to talking about the fact that I was from Montreal. Well it turned out that this girl went to kindergarten with my younger sister. Oh wait it doesn't end there. There was a much older guy in the group. Anyway it turned out that he was also from Montreal and had been a chaperone on a road cycling trip that I did while in high school. It amazing that we had all moved across the country and end up on the same mountain bike trip.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
I have a girl i work with, I think she is a hottie. So recently I have been attempting to make small talk with her, working up to the inevitable and uncomfortable "asking her out" phase.
I stopped by a really good friends house, talking to him and his wife about stuff...I bring up the chick at work...his wife knows her..seems they used to have the same friend and lived togethor...

I was all shocked, her name has never been mentioned in the 7 years i have worked with her by my friends wife.
The good part is I get to find out all about her ahead of time. :)

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
In 8th grade some punk stole my Nike windbreaker jacket. He ended up giving it back to me after my dad made a couple calls. Fast-forward 5 years to 2001. I was on summer vacation in Cocoa Beach, Florida walking around in a hole in the wall surf shop (not Ron Jons). The kid is in the shop wearing a fake Bob Marley wig / hat and a shirt that has the McDonalds gold arch and it said "Marijuana" instead of McDonalds underneathe it. But I recognized the face and he said he had been in cocoa beach for about a month and didn't think he was moving back to Ky.

Small, I thought. Who knew an 8th grade clothing thief would turn into a drug abuser.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
I met a floormate wandering around like an idiot at panama city beach, FL during spring break.

I was like, WTF!??!?! What were the chances of us meeting up in the same exact beach, the same location out of thousands of springbreakers in that time of day?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
1. When i was living in San Diego, my wife and I went to Tijuana and were walking around when we saw a girl we had both gone to high school with in Oregon.

2. My third child was born in 2000. I started working at my current job as a software developer in 2001. My wife and I went to an employer sponsored dinner in January of this year. At the dinner, we sat next to one of the other developers and his wife. It was the first time we had met his wife. A couple weeks after that, we were watching the video of my daughter's birth from 2000 and realized that this guy's wife who we had just had dinner with was the nurse who helped deliver our baby.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I was the first person to move into my subdivision and my wife and I were only too eager to meet any neighbor that moved in on our block. We become good friends with a couple and one night we are having dinner with the guys parents and find out that his mom knows my wifes dad from high school. We are in Atlanta and they went to scool in Ft. Lauderdale in the 50's.

I am making a delivery in a Kroger one morning and I start to talk to one of the grocery managers. He sounds like he is from New York (where I am from originally) Come to find out , this guy knows my cousin in Long Island and actually played football with him in the 70's. Even weirder, is that he remembered me when I used to go and visit my cousin for the summer. Again, I am in Atlanta and all of this went on in New York.

Ive got a bunch more of these weird occurences. Do you think it happens to some people way more than others? It seems like that with me.

Edit: Got another one: A year ago I got Drano in my eye and hauled ass to the hospital . They basically ran 3 IV drips over my eye. In the course of conversation with the RN, I find out that her husband is a grocery store manager and that she remembers him taliking about me and my old business I used to own.

Peace

Lounatik

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
When I was 16, I went to Greece on AFS. On the way home, at an airport in NYC, I was making small talk with someone in the terminal, and we figured out that we had been next door neighbors (in Oregon, rural neighbors, maybe less than 1/4 mile away) for years, and we never met each other.

When I used to live in the Seattle/Tacoma area (1996ish), a close family friend from childhood (in a small Oregon town) moved into my apartment complex for awhile after her home burned down.