What's the weirdest "small world" thing that has ever happened to you?

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
Everyone always says that the world is small, but check this...

Some friends and I on a whim decide to drive to Panama City, FL from Chicago for spring break Tuesday morning. We get to our hotel and I see this group of girls that look kind of familiar. Turns out this chick I started talking to lives directly behind me back at school, like within 25 feet, which is like the same distance her hotel room was from mine. There are 133 hotels/motels in Panama City. They were the only people I talked to the whole time I was there that were from my school, besides the people I met up with. Talk about weird, anyone else have any weird "small world" stories.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
I had a crush on a girl through out grades 1 - 8. After 8th grade, she just left school, I thought she went to another school or something. I move to the US in 10th grade, and enroll for summer school. Lo and behold, whom do I see in the cafeteria, that girl! Ofcourse, 15 minutes later I realized she was an arrogant b!tch. End of that crush.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I've run into five different people in the last month at my apt. complex that I went to high school with, or that knew me from h.s. I actually felt guilty because I had absolutely no recollection of two of them, even though they knew me by sight and name.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I lived in Mattoon, IL in high school. A small town of 19,000 people. Our church youth group leader was a younger lady named Mary. After graduating in 1992, I went to college and never saw her again. Fast forward about 4 years, and me and my family are living in Peoria, AZ. We're at the Metro Center Mall in Phoenix, and as we're walking from our car to the entrance, we pass Mary in the parking lot! Apparently, her parents live in Phoenix, and she moved back or was visiting or something. But I thought it was very strange that we'd be at the same mall, in the same parking lot aisle, at the same time.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
My wife and I were born during the same year, on the same day of the same month, in the same hospital.

sick, just sick

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I had a crush on a girl in college. She had a friend. I meet other girl. Girl tries to sleep with me. I had bad feeling and didn't do it. Week later find out girl is crush's friend's little sister. Close call.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
At a high school graduation party, this random girl showed up with someone... got smashed and tried to sleep with one of my friends.

In the fall, I moved into college and she was my CA. It's fun having dirt on your CA.

I live about an hour away from all of my aunts and uncles... I went to school with a kid who turned out to be my aunt's nephew... really weird running into him at the wedding when my uncle got married.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
I had a crush on a girl in college. She had a friend. I meet other girl. Girl tries to sleep with me. I had bad feeling and didn't do it. Week later find out girl is crush's friend's little sister. Close call.

Well you shoulda taken that one anyway.... the second the crush's little sister spills the beans you have less of "no chance" than you do now. Might as well get the next best thing ;)

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
I had a crush on a girl through out grades 1 - 8. After 8th grade, she just left school, I thought she went to another school or something. I move to the US in 10th grade, and enroll for summer school. Lo and behold, whom do I see in the cafeteria, that girl! Ofcourse, 15 minutes later I realized she was an arrogant b!tch. End of that crush.

aw it could have been just like Grease!!

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
I went to this one elementary school for 3rd and 4th grade, and then I moved to a different city a few miles away (then a few miles further a couple years after that).
Fast forward to 8 years later, I find out that the college roommate I got randomly placed with was in the same grade of the same elementary school (other class though), and moved away a little after I got there.

NickE

Mar 18, 2000
The guy that ran our University theatre, where I worked for a few years while I was there, turned up 10 years later as the Commercial Manager of my company's operation in China, where I worked for three years.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Well, this didn't really happen to me, but when I was in grade school in rural NJ, three of my classmates realized that they had all been in kindergarten together. In Kansas.

For me, it was sitting in the dark at a port in Hoboken surrounded by mobs of people after walking around NYC for 6 or 7 hours during the blackout and a friend I hadn't seen since my wedding a year earlier pulls up looking for his girlfriend.

Not Ripley's material, but interesting none the less.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I beat you all. I actually found out that the person I'm living with is from Canada. I mean, what are the odds of two people living in Alabama, _who went to the same university_ and also happen to live in the same house?!

Actually the best small world is I have a license plate holder on my car from our small 2200 person university up in new brunswick, and last summer a guy in Florida, while I was in a store, asked if I owned that car and it seemed that he went to the same university. That may not seem like much, but it's small, and very few people from there will end up in the US, let alone actually run into each other.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I once ran into an ex-GF in an Office Max in LA - I was out there interviewing for a day and killing time. Both me and the ex-GF were from NYC. She was out there on vacation buying something for her camera. Hadn't seen her for like 4 years before that. Kookey, eh?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
New Year's 2003, I was at a party at a bar in SoHo. It was being held by a group of my gf's friends, so basically, I know no one except my gf and one or two of her friends. So I'm looking around this crowded bar, and I see this real tall guy. I see him and I think, man, that guy looks like my friend Campbell from college....but he lives in Baltimore. Then he gives me this weird confused look (probably the same one I had on my face)...it was him! His gf at the time was friends with one of the guys who was throwing the party and he decided to drive up at the last minute for the party. It was a great coincidence and having somebody else I knew there made things a lot more fun.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I saw someone I went to elementary school with in Maui, Hawaii... that was freaky.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
My wife and I were born during the same year, on the same day of the same month, in the same hospital.

yeah, but she's your twin! ;)

edit*
damn, beat me to it!

Anyhoo, a buddy of mine from middle school and I have run into each other at football games an hour from here, but also in St Louis, Phoenix, Dallas, San Diego, and Norman, OK. We live in the same city of about 150k, but NEVER see each other in town.

Nelmster

Nov 17, 2000
I'll try my best to keep this brief.

When I was 6, I had a group of 3 friends at my babysitter's after school, and we all used to play together. This happened for about 6 months. One of the three friends was African-American. I moved an hour away, changed schools, etc.

To show how small of a farming town I grew up in from that point on, there were literally no African Americans in my entire school district - from 3rd grade all the way until graduating high school.

Then, I go to college 4 hours away. I was an athletic trainer, so I traveled with the basketball team. I also went to a small college, and there were probably 20 African Americans on the entire campus, and only one played basketball. I happened to be rooming with him one night on an away trip, and he is a really awesome guy. We're talking about childhood and we get on the subject of ethnic groups. I tell him I'm embarrassed to say that, based on my situation, the only African American I've ever known was from my childhood at a babysitter's house. I tell him about the things we used to do, about this specific field and wooded area we used to play in. I tell him about the house and everything.

The entire time, his eyes are getting wider and wider and his jaw is dropping lower and lower. And that's when we realize that WE had been the friends I was talking about, and here we are 16 years later figuring this out. It was really, really cool...

:cool:

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I ran into my ex-fiancee at the Viacom store in Chicago.

We had broke up around nine months earlier and both were living in Flint, MI at the time.