What's the VOIP landline choice these days?

Mar 15, 2003
=shoddy reception in my prewar concrete building has lead to some important missed calls and one family line sounds like a good idea too, so what are my choices? Vonage seems ridiculous at $25 a month, ooma still worthwhile in 2019?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Google Voice? You seem to have an existing cell phone so that might work for you.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I've been using Obi with Google Voice for around seven years with no issues.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I still have a landline. It will still work when VoIP doesn't.

Mar 15, 2003
Weird question, can google voice forward to itself? Since I want my wife to be able to talk to her mom on it while I'm working, is there a way to get work calls forwarded there (i use g-voice) while keeping the lines completely separate?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Doesn't your cell-provider support wifi-calling? If so that's the easiest solution although as mentioned GV is also fairly easy to setup and should work.

And I've never tried forwarding one GV line to another but I know you can't use one for initial setup has to be a "real" phone line. *(landline, cell, most VOIP)

Mar 15, 2003
Doesn't your cell-provider support wifi-calling? If so that's the easiest solution although as mentioned GV is also fairly easy to setup and should work.

And I've never tried forwarding one GV line to another but I know you can't use one for initial setup has to be a "real" phone line. *(landline, cell, most VOIP)

I snatched a good deal for multi-months of an at*t MVNO and one of the compromises is crippled wifi calling. and google voice is fine for outgoing call but i've missed calls due to what i believe is my galaxy deprioritizing network access to g-voice to save battery life. it's happened too often and i always leave battery mode to "optimized" auto. thanks for the gv feedback, something to think about.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I snatched a good deal for multi-months of an at*t MVNO and one of the compromises is crippled wifi calling. and google voice is fine for outgoing call but i've missed calls due to what i believe is my galaxy deprioritizing network access to g-voice to save battery life. it's happened too often and i always leave battery mode to "optimized" auto. thanks for the gv feedback, something to think about.

No problem ... Yeah bad as Sprint is overall one of the few reasons I stick with them is all that stuff just works.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm still with Ooma. I've been with them for the last 6-7 years, with no issues. I have their box, my router, and my main phone plugged into a ups. Just in case.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'm still with Ooma. I've been with them for the last 6-7 years, with no issues. I have their box, my router, and my main phone plugged into a ups. Just in case.

Same here. Have been using them since 2012, it just works. I mostly use it to make sure that if I'm called in the middle of the night I actually hear it since four handsets ringing all over the house gets attention.

The only issue I've had is when I moved a year ago I discovered that my Telo had gone horrifically sticky. Apparently they do that with age so I just tossed it and bought a new one. Six years from a <$100 consumer electronics device is plenty of return, I don't mind buying a new one.

Viper GTS

Mar 15, 2003
Same here. Have been using them since 2012, it just works. I mostly use it to make sure that if I'm called in the middle of the night I actually hear it since four handsets ringing all over the house gets attention.

The only issue I've had is when I moved a year ago I discovered that my Telo had gone horrifically sticky. Apparently they do that with age so I just tossed it and bought a new one. Six years from a <$100 consumer electronics device is plenty of return, I don't mind buying a new one.

Viper GTS
I know I'm being cheap (ok, i AM cheap), but how much in taxes and fees are you paying? I read they're anywhere from $3 to 8, and based on how over taxed nyc is i'm betting it's on the high end here, which would give magicjacks all inclusive $39 a year the edge. Unless the experience is that much better (the magicjack that does not require a pc gets good reviews for the most part)

Reactions: bob4432

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I know I'm being cheap (ok, i AM cheap), but how much in taxes and fees are you paying? I read they're anywhere from $3 to 8, and based on how over taxed nyc is i'm betting it's on the high end here, which would give magicjacks all inclusive $39 a year the edge. Unless the experience is that much better (the magicjack that does not require a pc gets good reviews for the most part)

Mar 15, 2003
I'm honored to get a reply from the legendary rossman, very useful - thanks! $6.16 a month vs. $39 a year on magicjack plus lower initial hardware costs (and a mobile app, convenient so i can answer my landline without setting up forwarding, etc.).

Last question, anyone have any magicjack horror stories before I give it a try (i'll return it and get the ooma if it sucks)