What's the truth about Jessica Lynch?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi,

I'm not saying that this BBC story is correct - but if it were it shows a possible "spin" that was put on the story. I certainly haven't heard anything like this from any other source.

Has anything like this been mentioned in the US? Is it true that she suffered no gun or knife wounds?

Cheers,

Andy

---

Sorry, but there are too many fscktards flaming in this thread. Since we tend to ban flaming fscktards, all those wishing to remain should find a more civil way to express their thoughts.

AnandTech Moderator

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Thats despicable if its true.

The BBC is a well respected news source, they don't run stories without checking it out thoroughly.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Interesting . . . but where's the independent verification of THIS version?

This is why I'm asking! Though you see a lot of posts at the moment that have no problem in believing that Iraqi officials (ie scientists, though a doctor in this case) have no reason to lie now Saddam is gone - ergo - they are telling the truth. Not entirely convinced myself.

Cheers,

Andy

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I've never heard about them staging her rescue like that before, or of her getting the "best treatment possible" from the Iraqi doctors, however, it IS true that she had no gunshot wounds or knife wounds. They reported she had gunshot wounds before the rescue, then about 2 days later they said the guy who told them her location was "mistaken" about the gunshot wounds. This was in CNN and other news sources not just the BBC.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: glugglug
I've never heard about them staging her rescue like that before, or of her getting the "best treatment possible" from the Iraqi doctors, however, it IS true that she had no gunshot wounds or knife wounds. They reported she had gunshot wounds before the rescue, then about 2 days later they said the guy who told them her location was "mistaken" about the gunshot wounds. This was in CNN and other news sources not just the BBC.

Thanks,

Andy

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
The bit about the iraqis trying to take her in an ambulance to other american troops, but getting shot at and turned back was in a newspaper a few days after the rescue. Can't remember which one at the moment. probably the Independant or the Guardian.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Hi,

I'm not saying that this BBC story is correct - but if it were it shows a possible "spin" that was put on the story. I certainly haven't heard anything like this from any other source.

Has anything like this been mentioned in the US? Is it true that she suffered no gun or knife wounds?

Cheers,

Andy

Didnt read it, but if that is the story with the doctor, it is old - has been in "Der Spiegel" some weeks ago. But I didn't measure any importance to it as I kinda expected it that way (the rescuestory was way to movieesque to me).

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Interesting but I'd say this is slightly incorrect:
But her story is one of the most stunning pieces of news management ever conceived.
I'd say it was the most stunning pieces of news mismanagement ever conceived. The story changed more times than I can count. It reminds me of that movie, Courage Under Fire, with Denzel Washington and Meg Ryan.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
When Bob Lazer was on KLAS-TV talking about aliens at Area 51, civilian employees from Groom Lake were dying from toxic waste exposure. But as Area 51 didn't exist, the government wouldn't even acknowledge that they were sick.
The same day that Columbine splashed across every newspaper and TV, the B-2 Stealth Bomber saw combat for the first time ever in Bosnia, killing thousands.

Someday, if we're lucky, we might find out just what happened at the same time Lynch was in the headlines.

This isn't a conspiracy, btw. Media people call it "selective reporting." It's simply not possible for them to print/air EVERY story, so they try to pick the one with the most appeal and run with it. I just wonder why the one they choose is always the one I would have been least interested in.

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
My favourite part:

But as the ambulance, with Private Lynch inside, approached a checkpoint American troops opened fire, forcing it to flee back to the hospital. The Americans had almost killed their prize catch

Way to go USA.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Other than the part about the ambulance the rest of this story was reported widely in the USA. Frankly the description of the ambulance scene in this story doesn't make enough sense as told to pass my own credibility test. If there was a genuine desire to return her there certainly would have been ways for semi-intelligent people to figure out a way to do so that wouldn't be anything like the scenario described.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I remember reading about the ambulance thing a while back in The Detroit Free Press.

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001

I heard a story on the radio a few weeks ago with quotes from the nurse and doctor that treated her in the iraqi hospital. They said they gave her the best treatment, etc.

Also in that story, they said Jessica had compound fractures to the arm and upper leg. If true, that's probably what led to the gunshot/knife rumor....a compound fracture is where the bone pierces the skin and might even stick out . Do a google image search "compound fracture" for some pictures..looks like a gunshot to me...nasty.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
God knows that all Iraqis are the most honest people on Earth. Ask the Information Minister.

That story sounds more like an attempt to make the U.S. look bad. There's is no way in hell that they sent in US special operations troops with BLANKS -- that's the most ludicrous notion I've heard in awhile.

And the idea that the BBC doesn't "run stories without checking [them] out thoroughly" is laughable. They are just as fallible as other news sources.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Aceshigh

The BBC is a well respected news source, they don't run stories without checking it out thoroughly.

for the other gutless member who had this intellectual gem "way to go USA", that was a coordinated effort of over 5 special ops teams including CIA ops, over 100 soldiers, not one lost and every pow retrieved, even the ones they had to dig up with their bare hands.

I remember specific parts of this article from when this first came out, I thought it was later revealed she was shot.....

The BBC has their own employees leveling claims of anti-US bias right now in their handling of the Iraq war. have any Fox personnel complained about the bias everyone else claims to see?

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
for the other gutless member who had this intellectual gem "way to go USA", that was a coordinated effort of over 5 special ops teams including CIA ops, over 100 soldiers, not one lost and every pow retrieved, even the ones they had to dig up with their bare hands.

Which was coordinated effort of over 5 special ops teams including CIA ops, over 100 soldiers etc? The shooting the ambulance or the staged rescue? It appears you didn't even read the posted article.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Somebody explain to me why POW's who surrendered are getting hero's welcome parades? What are we, the French?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
At first they, TV news cable channels, were reporting:
1.That she had been shot. This was latter retracted.
2. Someone saw an Iraqi security person smacking her and this is why the lawyer told the US military were she was.

I have found it best to try not to get excited by what the media first reports. Usually it takes time for they report the whole story.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Somebody explain to me why POW's who surrendered are getting hero's welcome parades? What are we, the French?

One of the dead soldiers from that squad just had a mountain in Phoenix named after her. It's an outrage. The governor used the police to threaten members of the naming committee if they didn't change the name.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: Aceshigh

I remember specific parts of this article from when this first came out, I thought it was later revealed she was shot.....

The BBC has their own employees leveling claims of anti-US bias right now in their handling of the Iraq war. have any Fox personnel complained about the bias everyone else claims to see?

I suppose the allegations of bias have some sort of impact on the story they're running here. If so can you tell me what it is in this report that is biased?

Thanks,

Andy

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000

LoL, yeah I remember deGaulle hero return to Paris as if he had liberated it himself :)
since the war was won without much effort on the ground troops side (not like in WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, etc), therefore the need to create "hero" out of almost anything, ie the POWs, even though the POW that's are rescued and alive are more lucky ones than heroic in general sense...

the argument that they heroicly suffer under the inhuman treatment & detention doesn't hold ground, it's not like they have a choice or choose to heroically become POW in order to save others....

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

She didn't surrender fscktard, she was captured. The celebrations are for their safe return.