What's the stupidest thing you've done to your computer?

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I know alot of people here are like me and like to mess with their computer. I've done my share of stupid things too. My worst was trying to plug in a fan with bare leads while the computer was running. I was holding the wires in my hand while i was sticking them in and blue sparks shot out of the connection. Computer died and refused to boot. I almost cried cause i thought i killed my computer. Lukily somebody here told me to let it sit and in a few hours i could start. I have a few other stupid storieslike tearing off one of the nubs the heatsink clip hooks in and stuff like that. Now, I've told my stupid accident, what's yours?

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Never done anything that dumb. Sorry. :) (I learned a lot about electronics before I got into computers, back in the day:D)

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not being careful about using the right screws. I just dropped a VA6 into a case and fired it up.

*** SNIFF ***

/me turns to brother

Windogg: Are you soldering?
Brother: No why?
Windogg: I smell solder
Brother: OH SH!T

/me turn toward case and see smoke pouring out of it

I pulled the plug and it stopped. Boy did the apartment stink for a while. Turns out I used a screw that covered 2 traces and somehow caused a short. The amazing thing is the system still runs perfectly to this day. My brother reports the P3-550E run 100% stable @ 770Mhz.

Windogg

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Where should I start? Attempting to hot glue a heatsink on my video card (i didn't put the glue on the chip, i had thermal paste, but I glued the sides down)? Perhaps for getting the case mounts when I put in my mobo? Or maybe putting in my sblive value after post?

Note that none of these actually broke any parts of my computer, thankfully.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
It's not really what I did to my computer.

I bought a Gateway and Dell.

Should have stuck with Micron.

Oh well, at least it was good training. Now I'll build my own PCs.

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Hmm... stupidest thing would have to be buying a Creative cdrom!!!

Then there was that time when my peltier died... that was like a week ago. Well the peltier didn't die the molex connector did (dont ask me how) I cut the wires for the molex connector with out unplugging the comp!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSSSSSSSTTTTTTTT is all I heard :eek:.

REMEMBER ALWAYS UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER!!

GreenBeret

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
LTK You left out the best one! Check my sig. <edit>nm. You need to expand a little on your explanations though. </edit>

The most Evan thing I have done is to use a screwdriver while attempting to install a heatsink on a BP6. It cut at least 8 traces near the CPUs.

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000
I slamed my computer once because i tried to fix it for a few days but it won't boot.

After smashing it actually worked!

;)

Harrald

Dec 6, 2000
The stupidest thing?????

12 years ago reading about MUSH's and say &quot;Wow that sounds cool I need to buy a computer and try this&quot;

12 years later I'm still an addicted to this box. i don't MUSH anymore. I just read forums

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Let's see, how about not removing the mobo from a case while modding the case witha dremel tool. Let's just say that MOBO+SMALL METAL FILINGS=LETTING OUT THE MAGIC SMOKE

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Ouch. I remembered one more thing. At a small lan party we were running alot of computers in one room. Unfortunatly we had forgotten that the one room was all on one circuit. Now, we had about 15 computers on that circuit and each computer draws at least a constant 200 watts (They can pull much more starting up and also depending on the components). That's 3000 watts right there so roughly 30 amps of current for the computers not counting anything else thatwas running in the room (lights etc). most circuits can take 20 amps. That sucker went DOWN. Strange enough, it fried an old compaq when it went even though it had a surge suppressor.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
I was getting pissed off at a pci ethernet card that wouldnt work, so while the computer was still on, i ripped the damn thing right out of the slot, so, needless to say, that pci slot is no longer in use :)

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ahem...well...I once plugged the power connector for a floppy drive in upside down. upon turning on the computer, smoke was pouring out of it and it REEKED. I immediately pulled the plug and all of the plastic melted off that one power connector. Everything survived including the power supply :) The floppy died of course.

sparkle

Nov 4, 2000
letting the &quot;magic static&quot; fly out of my hands and trash an other-wise good mobo

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
The dumbest thing I ever did was to stick one of those big magnetic pen/pencil holders right on the side of my case, right next to the drives. :eek:

SirCampsALot

Aug 9, 2000
A few years back, i was working on my 386 computer and I had the case open. I took a short break and started throwing a baseball up and down and catching it with my glove. The ball skipped off my glove and flew right onto my video card and pretty much broke it. That was very stupid of me.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Installed Windows.

I know someone who accidently underclocked his sytem, which i found kinda humorous. It was the dumbest thing he's done to a system.

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
Uhm... Well, let me just say: NEVER unplug the powercord of a CD-ROM drive while the PC is running...

Those sparks are nice to see, but you've a chance that the PSU will blow.

Although I really panicked after the PC shut down, I could turn it on again after about 20 minutes. No need to tell I felt relieved :D

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Beside downloading and installing SUB7 because I wasn't paying attention I formatted a hard drive after trying everything that could be thought of except a different cpu. It was the cpu.