What's the scam?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I just got a call from some telemarketing company offering me $200 in gasoline vouchers for free. He also told me that I'd get an unlimited phone card which I can use for 7 days for free. He said there's no cost out of my pocket whatsoever. I got weary and just told him that I'm not interested. I'm curious though if anyone?s had these "offers" before and what do they entail?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Joker81
probably beacuse the phonecard is $5 a minute after the 7 days

That's what I was thinking. But he was telling me I don't have to use it after 7 days and I can just throw it away.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unlimited phone card for 7 days - he probably lied about that. Or, there's a 50 cent connection fee per call and a three minute limit, or it's not valid for long-distance calls.

The vouchers are probably 10 vouchers that are each good for $20, but you can only redeem one per month. And you can only collect the money if you remain a member of whatever shopping club he was trying to sign you up for, which probably cost $150 a year or more. So you can't collect the vouchers without shelling out the membership fee.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: dabuddha
I just got a call from some telemarketing company offering me $200 in gasoline vouchers for free. He also told me that I'd get an unlimited phone card which I can use for 7 days for free. He said there's no cost out of my pocket whatsoever. I got weary and just told him that I'm not interested. I'm curious though if anyone?s had these "offers" before and what do they entail?

So the phone call made you tired, eh?

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Usually you get these during some manner of "trial membership" with a company. It sounds a lot like the deals I've done trying to get that "free" XBox over at Freevideogames.com. (FYI: it isn't free)

If you had looked it up on the internet I'd say you might be able to get something out of it, but considering they called you there's more than likely some hidden limitation or extra fees involved. Or it could just be leading up to the part where they ask for your debit card number and pin.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
Originally posted by: dabuddha

So the phone call made you tired, eh?

boo for the bad naziness. he used the word properly.