Whats the point of Google marketing the Nexus 4 for $299/$349 ??

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
When its impossible to get one......
By the time you're able to get one, it might be 3-4 months from now.
Don't try to sell something at a price point that you can't fulfill.
The Nexus 4 8gb is listed 7-8 weeks and I doubt you can even get that.
The 16gb is 2-3 weeks but you can't even add it to a cart.
Also the 16gb comes close to $400 after tax and shipping.
For $400, you can get a new/mint GS3 on CL these days.
While the Nexus 4 has better internals, the GS3 is no slouch and it has removable battery and SD card slot.
I've been wanting to get one since its release but I think I'm over it.
Theres other options.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
YmVbG.jpg

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Got one here as well thanks to a willing girlfriend who grabbed it for me while I was in a meeting (on launch day).

The situation will stabilize, iirc there were similar issues when the gnex hit the play store. Give it a few weeks and this will all be a distant memory. And I assure you it is worth waiting for.

Viper GTS

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm over it as well. Play Store is a complete joke, and I lost much respect for Google.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
When its impossible to get one......
Don't try to sell something at a price point that you can't fulfill.
The Nexus 4 8gb is listed 7-8 weeks and I doubt you can even get that.
The 16gb is 2-3 weeks but you can't even add it to a cart.
Also the 16gb comes close to $400 after tax and shipping.
For $400, you can get a new/mint GS3 on CL these days.
While the Nexus 4 has better internals, the GS3 is no slouch and it has removable battery and SD card slot.
I've been wanting to get one since its release but I think I'm over it.
Theres other options.
Auto Refresh Plus extension in Chrome is your friend.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'm over it as well. Play Store is a complete joke, and I lost much respect for Google.

It is rather absurd that Google seems to be completely incapable of making the transition to selling physical goods.

They should just swallow their pride and ship the pallets to amazon. Let the pros handle this.

Viper GTS

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
They were in stock for a few hours today.

The point of why I posted this thread.
I don't think it was a few hours.
Sites reported is was gone within minutes.
Plus, just because you were able to put an order in, doesn't mean it shipping out anytime soon.
The listed 7-8 weeks for the 8gb is a complete joke.
They were able to meet demands for the Nexus 7 when it came out but the Nexus 4 is absurd.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
just wait a couple weeks and there will be plenty of them available. remember when nexus 7 came out? now theyve got tons of them sitting unsold at walmart. nexus 4 has an even smaller market because its not on a good carrier

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Plus, just because you were able to put an order in, doesn't mean it shipping out anytime soon.
They were able to meet demands for the Nexus 7 when it came out but the Nexus 4 is absurd.

No, Google screwed up Nexus 7 launch as well. Just like they screwed up Nexus One launch. I don't remember if they screwed up Nexus S launch. Probably but it was only compatible with Tmobile at US launch and available from Tmobile. So if Google didn't screw up Nexus S, it was only because Tmobile handled it.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Well, I know I was able to get a Nexus 7 a week after launch and so did a lot of people.
The 8gb is listed 7-8 weeks ?? Thats a fucking joke.
That phone won't be available anytime soon.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Guys, it's not the end of the world. I got in on the Nexus 7 when it first came out. Had it delivered next day air. Whooppee. Now a few months later, not only are they super easy to get but there was a Black Friday deal where they were double the memory for $50 less than I paid. I can't imagine any of you are in such a rush to get a new phone. I agree it sucks but you'll soon forget about it. Just wait a few weeks and it'll arrive. B

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Ah. You got it! Congrats, Bass. When I left on vacation you were still sort of in limbo.

Yea I got it last week, Tuesday I believe. After going a week without hearing anything I magically received a shipping notification last Monday around midnight and it showed up at my door about 8 hours later.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002

From Noon to 6PM their site was hammered. But I just looked and you can casually drop into the play store and order one.

Fubared 2nd launch - YES
Better launch than the first round - Doubtful but at least they have stock or the ability to order with a expected ship time frame.

To be fair, Apple lists shipment times but very rarely more than 3-4 weeks and more often than not, they have supplies arrive earlier.

thisjustin

Aug 16, 2010
4yry9apy.jpg

I do wonder how many Google actually had available in each country, that would be interesting info.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

And there are people that will still have 19 months left on their existing phone contract at that point. Google should be trying to build as much hype as they can with this device. Clearly their intention is to offer people out from the contracts we have all grown accustomed too. The promotion period for a device like the Nexus4 really isn't a launch only time window, you could certainly argue that the source of so much of the frustration about it only serves them in the long run. While many of the hard core on this forum and others of our ilk found their handling of the launch to be rather horrid, the typical user just sees it much like they would a new Apple product release- sold out after a few minutes, clearly it has to be popular.