• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Whats the oldest Mac you still use daily?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I want one of those to use as wall art. They are useless as a computer at this point, but they still look cool. Johnny Ive used to make cool looking stuff until he got obsessed with making every new Apple model 1 millimeter thinner than the last one.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Daily? This one, my work Mac from 2018. The oldest I use occasionally is an iMac from 2013, but that one's due to be retired.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I just replaced my 2013 Macbook Pro with a shiny new 16" 2019 model. I'd imagine that I'll keep it around as a spare for another year or two, though. Besides the dying battery, it's still a solid system.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Not technically a Mac, but my wife's Hackintosh is from like 2011. Still stupid ridiculously solid. I need to upgrade it to Catalina & put in a terabyte SSD one of these days...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I want one of those to use as wall art. They are useless as a computer at this point, but they still look cool. Johnny Ive used to make cool looking stuff until he got obsessed with making every new Apple model 1 millimeter thinner than the last one.
I wish I hadn't sold my G4 Cube - just to keep as an art piece, at least. Such a great design! I want a strawberry iMac G3 someday too. And at some point I want to convert my tower to a G4 Quicksilver. Ah, projects.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro which works great. Not sure what I will replace it with - either a 2020 Intel 16" Macbook Pro or just wait it out for the ARM 16" MBP.

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
I have a MacBook Pro 15” I bought in 2011. I updated the memory to 16gb and installed 2x500gb ssd drives about 3 years ago. The machine still runs well today. I recently bought a MacBook Air which I thought would be an upgrade but it wasn’t other than the form factor.

I imagine I will purchase a Intel MacBook Pro 13” this year before they are no longer sold. An arm based Mac will be Totally garbage/useless for my needs.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
My oldest daily use Mac is a 2008 aluminum MacBook sitting in the kitchen for recipes and surfing during breakfast.

However, my main setup is a dual iMac combo, comprised of a 2017 27" 5K iMac with a 2010 27" 2.5K iMac used as a monitor. I've posted this before, but here it is again:

DualiMac_combined_1008_noGPS.jpg

I wish I hadn't sold my G4 Cube - just to keep as an art piece, at least. Such a great design! I want a strawberry iMac G3 someday too. And at some point I want to convert my tower to a G4 Quicksilver. Ah, projects.
MacMuseum.jpg

:cool:

• Wow

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
BTW, the Mac Pro in the picture above is one I am currently in the midst of sprucing up.

MacProElCapitan.jpeg

Since it's a 2006 model, it's older than the daily use 2008 MacBook I mentioned above, but much faster of course (even without a CPU upgrade).

The parts are becoming really cheap these days. Paid about US$10 for an OEM Bluetooth module and US$5 for an OEM WiFi module. I also paid about US$45 for an Apple OEM Radeon 5770 (necessary for El Capitan), that is built specifically for the Mac Pro. Only thing I'm waiting for now is memory. It currently has 5 GB, but 4 GB of that is third party server RAM without the Apple-mandated large heatsinks, and it gets too hot and is unstable. So, currently I am running it with just the stock 1 GB Apple RAM, which means I'm stuck in 10.7 Lion for the time being. Man that is painful... Remember the swap file?!?

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.31.36 PM.png

That is just with Activity Monitor and ONE other application open, Firefox Legacy, and ONE web page loaded. No other tabs in the background at all. I've ordered more OEM RAM with the proper heatsinks at ~US$40 to bring me to 7 GB. And another ~US$22 for a 120 GB Crucial BX500 SSD (which in El Capitan has TRIM support).

So, all said and done that's about $120 in upgrades to get this thing ship shape. For another US$20 I can get dual quad-core Xeons to double the multi-core performance, but I'm not going to bother since with dual dual-core Xeons it's already quite snappy for general usage. I don't feel like doing the firmware flashes and disassembling the machine at this point to install new CPUs, considering I won't be doing anything heavy duty on this machine.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
So, all said and done that's about $120 in upgrades to get this thing ship shape. For another US$20 I can get dual quad-core Xeons to double the multi-core performance, but I'm not going to bother since with dual dual-core Xeons it's already quite snappy for general usage. I don't feel like doing the firmware flashes and disassembling the machine at this point to install new CPUs, considering I won't be doing anything heavy duty on this machine.
Famous last words.

Got bored yesterday and did the firmware flashes to MacPro2,1, and I've got a pair of 2.33 GHz quad-core Xeon E5345 chips on order. :p

The deciding point for me was video playback. 720p Netflix (Radeon 5770) and even 1440p YouTube VP9 worked well enough on the 2.66 GHz dual-core Xeon 5150 chips, if that's all they were doing, but any multi-tasking could cause some lag. For example, if I wanted to open up a menu while playing a video in Netflix, sometimes there would be a lag in the menu opening and/or a video stutter. Not a big deal, but nonetheless an annoyance. Hopefully going to 8-core will eliminate or at least markedly reduce this type of lag.

• Love
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ultimatebob Apple 4
H Apple 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY