Question What's the next peripheral to be integrated into motherboards?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I remember back in the mid 90's, where I added a network card, sound card, video card, etc. onto my motherboard. Then I watched as the network card was integrated. Later, I saw basic versions of the sound card get integrated, and later video. (though that eventually seems to have moved to the cpu, rather than on the motherboard). So many add on cards that people don't need to buy and add on any longer...

So now I find myself wondering - what do you think is the next peripheral that will find itself getting built in to most motherboards?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
iGPU is a biggie especially with DDR5/PCIe5 combo! Fast video output! Not for gaming but simple stuff like internet surfing, streaming and email browsing!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So now I find myself wondering - what do you think is the next peripheral that will find itself getting built in to most motherboards?
Intel was going to build Wifi into it's CPUs. (And 4G/5G cellular? Some already think that they have done so.)

And the Zen1 SoC had hardware support in the SoC portion for two 10gbe LAN ports, but you never saw it built out on consumer boards.

Aug 16, 2021
I would say nothing, because trend has been to move anything vital to performance to CPU and leave board as bare as possible. Maybe something like WiFi will be standard on all boards at some point, but it's just not very doable. Frankly some small chip for recovering from bad BIOS flash may be integrated at some point.

Restroom

Jan 12, 2008
It can't be too much longer until they start to foist DaaS crap onto retail hardware, so it'll become more a matter of what they'll allow you to keep for the initial purchase-price rather than what unnecessary gimmicks they shoehorn in to drive the price up. That's gonna really suck, once odious servicifying finally gets extended to screw retail users. Hopefully at least ten years out, but who knows anymore?
I'm crotchety enough about the stark differences between Z690 and Z790 retail boards in the OEMs trying to charge an extra hundred to several-hundred for no apparent gain but all but the cheapest ITX do-nothing boards having Wi-Fi hardware tacked on I'll have to pretend to kill in BIOS. Not so long ago, call it X299/X399 chipsets, mfgs would have one, maybe two embedded Wi-Fi options, and nobody bought them because the chipset was exclusive to the X-series performance CPUs and anybody at all serious isn't welcoming shielding issues and extra heat into a desktop; oddly enough they're still not. Integrated networking initially seemed a good backup at no huge price increase, but wireless don't even make sense on a desktop board.

Feb 4, 2009
iGPU is a biggie especially with DDR5/PCIe5 combo! Fast video output! Not for gaming but simple stuff like internet surfing, streaming and email browsing!
Yeah, I’d love for every motherboard to have some kind of on board video simply to allow the machine to work if the discrete card poops out. Basic non video would be fine.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yeah, I’d love for every motherboard to have some kind of on board video simply to allow the machine to work if the discrete card poops out. Basic non video would be fine.
Well now that even AMD managed to put a simple iGPU into their desktop lineup it's up to the user to buy a CPU with an iGPU and a mobo with a video out.