What's the name of that place that sells giant posters?

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
know any place like that, that offers huge custom color prints,
and is a little cheaper than Kinko's ?

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: wwswimming

Everything is cheaper than Kinko's. Kinko's sucks.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Injury

Kinko's is available locally, many are open 24x7, and the staff is friendly. If you send them something 15 minutes before you need it, and politely ask if they can fit it into their schedule and help you out, many times, they will do so.

I love Kinko's because I can always count on them.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

Kinko's is available locally, many are open 24x7, and the staff is friendly. If you send them something 15 minutes before you need it, and politely ask if they can fit it into their schedule and help you out, many times, they will do so.

That's laughable to me. I've been told on multiple occassions that they'll need a 24 hour turnaround time on single prints for some of my graphics projects and at least half of the times I'll show up the next day right on time and they'll print them out right when I get there. It's like I should have just scheduled an appointment for the following day and taken the extra day to refine my project.

The color calibration is horrible... or non-existant. I would be surprised if they calibrated more than once a day. If you want a real treat try making a graphic file with pantone colors converted to CMYK values (Should retain proper value) and compare them to a swatch when they are printed out.

Their revovling door of staff members have always treated me like I'm speaking greek when I tell them precisely what I want without having to play 20 questions. They generally know only what is required to complete their job and nothing more.

The software they use is generally out of date. By the time Adobe Creative Suite was realeased, they just upgrading from Illustrator 9 to Illustrator 10.

The prices seemed way out of whack. For 2 prints of 2 8x10 pieces on run-of-the-mill stock the price would be about $15. I understand they aren't a charity, but that's obscene. The only reason I kept coming back was that I couldn't afford a home inkjet that could do larger sized paper.

All of this information holds true for the 3 locations I visited regularly when I was in college. Never trust Kinko's with graphics projects. Ever. They may be great for mass-printings of memos and reports, but they SUCK for anything related to quality work.

Working at a printing company now just makes it all the more apparent to me that they want NOTHING to do with the world of graphics and should not be used by anyone that needs quality printing done.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Kinko's is not for graphic designers looking for perfect prints. Just not how it works. Kinko's is for everyone else.

<--- Used to do some graphic design, now hate it with a passion

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

That's laughable to me. I've been told on multiple occassions that they'll need a 24 hour turnaround time on single prints for some of my graphics projects and at least half of the times I'll show up the next day right on time and they'll print them out right when I get there. It's like I should have just scheduled an appointment for the following day and taken the extra day to refine my project.

The color calibration is horrible... or non-existant. I would be surprised if they calibrated more than once a day. If you want a real treat try making a graphic file with pantone colors converted to CMYK values (Should retain proper value) and compare them to a swatch when they are printed out.

Their revovling door of staff members have always treated me like I'm speaking greek when I tell them precisely what I want without having to play 20 questions. They generally know only what is required to complete their job and nothing more.

The software they use is generally out of date. By the time Adobe Creative Suite was realeased, they just upgrading from Illustrator 9 to Illustrator 10.

The prices seemed way out of whack. For 2 prints of 2 8x10 pieces on run-of-the-mill stock the price would be about $15. I understand they aren't a charity, but that's obscene. The only reason I kept coming back was that I couldn't afford a home inkjet that could do larger sized paper.

All of this information holds true for the 3 locations I visited regularly when I was in college. Never trust Kinko's with graphics projects. Ever. They may be great for mass-printings of memos and reports, but they SUCK for anything related to quality work.

Working at a printing company now just makes it all the more apparent to me that they want NOTHING to do with the world of graphics and should not be used by anyone that needs quality printing done.

Wait, you work for a printing company and expect laser printers to print dead on pantone colors?

Now THAT is laughable.

Kinkos isn't set-up to do proof graphics. They may be ok for imposition proofs, but it's not somewhere you'd take your "graphics file" and have them run a match proof.

What a joke.