Whats the name of some booze over 100 proof??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
99.5%(199 proof) Ethanol Anhydrous, Reagent A.C.S. undenatured. Even though they aren't meant to be drunk, they're still being assesed a federal excise tax.

GooberPHX420

Banned
Jan 13, 2002
My friend: Maaaaaaaaaaaan this shlt is fvckin hardcore, i cant believe how gone I am!!!
Me: Yeah, bud light is pretty wicked stuff.
rolleye.gif

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
It is extremely difficult to get pure ethanol without denaturing it (adding chemicals). However, pure ethanol can exist and not evaporate. The boiling point is well above room temperature.

Getting much higher than 160 proof requires pressure swing distillation to break the azeotrope, or the addition of chemicals. These chemicals are usually toxic, so industrial grade ethanol is labeled denatured and is toxic to drink. This also adds the bonus of removing an excise tax on the alcohol.

Ryan

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
What about Wray & Nephew's White Overproof Rum," I can't find the proof rating anywhere on the bottle, it was a gift :confused:

Theslowone

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2000
Smirnoff ice is good stuff a little sweet and expensive but good, don't worry if someone calls it a panzy drink. Smirnoff vodka isn't 100 proff but good and smooth, hairy navels(1/2 vodka 1/2 fuzzy navel) are pretty good with smirnoff.

According to people: The strongest that any alcohol beverage can be is 195% proof (or 97.5% alcohol). At higher proof, the beverage draws moisture from the air and self-dilutes.
The only alcohol that i heard of that is readily available that is 190 proof is neutral grain spirits.
And moonshine ranges from just over 100 proof to close to 195 proof, you can tell by how the bubbles pop at the top, if they pop to quick then its weak(thats what i heard).

SmackdownHotel

Golden Member
May 19, 2000

<< These chemicals are usually toxic, so industrial grade ethanol is labeled denatured and is toxic to drink. >>

As opposed to drinking alcohol, which is nontoxic, right?
rolleye.gif

AnthraX101

Oct 7, 2001
Oh, man...everclear. No one here has drunk that stuff? Comeon! I get all psyched to drink this stuff, thought I would colapse gripping my chest.

I drink it, and think "Damn...that stuff tastes like sugar water!!!" It had a little kick to it, I don't even think as much as most hard liquers. Goes down nice and smooth...

Once you cut it into a little coolaid, man, that is some funky punch. That and beer are fav's at my colleges. Here's a hint: If you can taste alchohol in the punch, it is DAMN strong.

But I am dry this semster, I promised myself that.

Armani

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000

<<

<< These chemicals are usually toxic, so industrial grade ethanol is labeled denatured and is toxic to drink. >>

As opposed to drinking alcohol, which is nontoxic, right?
rolleye.gif
>>

I'm talking about relative toxicity here. If you don't drink, fine, but don't try to make a point by making someone else look bad.

Ryan

LanEvoVI

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2001
Everclear and Kool-aid gets u messed up realllllllllllllllly quick and it doesn't taste that bad.

Smirnoff 100 is a proof vodka that's decent i guess....

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

<< Wild Turkey 117 >>

You mean Wild Turkey 101? I've never hear of it in 117proof version...

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

<< There is no way to have a 100% alcohol liquid, because it would evaporate >>

As others have said, this isn't true.. lol.. Yeah.. it's hard to get anhydrous alcohol, but it's certainly not impossible.. and it can only draw moisture from the air if it's container isn't air tight.. heh..

Bah.. who cares if making your own alcohol is illegal? It's not like you're going to get caught, unless you're building some monster still in you're back yard. You don't have anything to worry about if you're not going to sell it, anyway.

Be careful though. You should know what you're doing before you whip some up and drink it.. lol.. Unless you want to become blind and retarded.. :D Methanol is nasty stuff..

Fortunately, it has a lower boiling point than ethanol....

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
lol.. Basically, Proof is twice the percentage by volume.. I don't know the story behind it though.. lol

200 proof = 100%
80 proof = 40%

etc.. lol

Edit: Here's what this site says..

<< Story goes that in the very old days, whiskey was "proved" to be good whiskey (that is it had enough alcohol in it, and had not been watered down), by pouring some whiskey on some gunpowder. Touch a match to the powder, and if it ignited it was "proof" that it was good whiskey. However, if there was too much water in the whiskey, the powder would be too wet to ignite. Then you have proof that its not good whiskey.

About 50% alcohol-water mixtures will allow gunpowder to catch on fire. Thus the 50% alcohol became 100% proof that it was good whiskey, which is why today it is called 100 proof whiskey
>>

lol...

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Thanks eli...I knew what proof was sorta but never knew why the hell you used proof numbers to measure the strength of alcohol. Instead of saying something is 150 proof, why not just say its 75% alcohol

oh well....drink up:D

<-------can use some liquid cocaine rite bout now

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
I don't really drink, lol.. I just know a bit about making alcohol because I've looked into it for fuel purposes many times..

Engines aren't nearly as picky as people about the booze they drink. ;)

<< <-------can use some liquid cocaine rite bout now >>

:Q