What's the max ping you consider acceptable for FPS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Less than 100ms.

JStorm you are confusing FPS and lag. Why do people do that all the time..sheesh. Its bad enough hearing people complain in games "i'm lagging I skipping around" and everyone chimes in and say "get a better GPU". /end rant

:D I dont know how I read this thread wrong before. I clicked on this again thinking someone made another thread this time about ping and it was about ping all the time.

Anyways I'm ok under 100ms but back when i was in competitive play I had covad dsl and was sitting at 20ms on the eastcoast. you can feel that for sure.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
:D I dont know how I read this thread wrong before. I clicked on this again thinking someone made another thread this time about ping and it was about ping all the time.

Anyways I'm ok under 100ms but back when i was in competitive play I had covad dsl and was sitting at 20ms on the eastcoast. you can feel that for sure.

probably glanced at the title and selectively read 'consider acceptable FPS'

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I was top 25 in the UK on C&C Renegade for the first month of it's release, using a 56k modem.

150-400ms pings.

Anything sub 150 is alright, sub 70 is probably ideal for 99.9% of people.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
depends on net code primarily
some games are playable into the 300s or 400s, some are not

if its high twitch one shot one kill obviously lowest is best and I would prefer to play on servers with sub 100ms if I was playing with friends, and if I am by myself I would prefer less than or around 30ms

Sephire

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2011
On Halo PC Combat Evolved if you have more than 50 you are dead in the water. You can forget pistol dueling in Blood Gulch.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Funnily enough, I was playing some Quake Live on lunch at work and had 6-8 ping to the server. And, in contrast to it improving my game, it actually felt TOO low (I usually play at 20-30). I was constantly firing too early.

So, I guess the main thing with gaming latency is that fluctuations mess up your timing more than having to play with a slightly inflated ping. Even if you have 100-150 ping - if you do it all the time you will probably become competent with it.