What's the dot in an exclamation point called?

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
It's called the " "

The space between the quotes contains an amazing word that cannot be pronounced or comprehended. The only person to come close to doing so was Prince a few years back.

Nithin

Dec 31, 2002
thats the exclamation point. you need to ask whats the name for the stick?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
It's called the " "

The space between the quotes contains an amazing word that cannot be pronounced or comprehended. The only person to come close to doing so was Prince a few years back.

I bet Chuck Norris could do it.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
uh, the exclamation point is a proper punctuation mark it can't be broken down, just like two ' do not mean the same thing as a " and : != ; Similarly . + , != ; You don't get to play Mr. Potato Head with all the random junk and make your own punctuation.

TBone48

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
uh, the exclamation point is a proper punctuation mark it can't be broken down, just like two ' do not mean the same thing as a " and : != ; Similarly . + , != ; You don't get to play Mr. Potato Head with all the random junk and make your own punctuation.

:D That's funny!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava

Jeez, why not? Many of the people here play with the letters in the alphabet and make up their own words...

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SSP
The super happy dot.

Yes, considering that a large stick is aiming for it. The dot is obviously the feminine part of an exclamation.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It's not called anything. It's just a part of an exclamation point. You know the little line in the middle of a capital "H"? It's not called anything either. Similarly, the three lines that make up a capital "Y" don't have individual names. They're just "Y".

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: guoziming
It's called the " "

DIAF.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
the similar dot over an "i" is called a tittle...

i only remember this, because in a 7th-grade bible class that was being taught by our english-teaching sub, someone in the bible mentioned a tittle, someone asked what it was, and she drew a circle around the dot of an i.

imagine that, then the word "tittle" makes perfect sense

it took her a moment to get us all to stop laughing.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: guoziming
It's called the " "

Darn tootin'

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
It's called the " "

lmao, thats going in my sig

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: xSauronx
the similar dot over an "i" is called a tittle...

i only remember this, because in a 7th-grade bible class that was being taught by our english-teaching sub, someone in the bible mentioned a tittle, someone asked what it was, and she drew a circle around the dot of an i.

imagine that, then the word "tittle" makes perfect sense

it took her a moment to get us all to stop laughing.

LOL... that's funny. I'm gonna call people tittles now and they're gonna go WTF?