what's the difference between P43 and P45?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
no RAID, only overclocks to 400 fsb.

My gigabyte P43 looked well-built and has worked flawlessly for about 30 hours of Mass Effect so far, paired with an E8400 at stock 2 x 2GB of Crucial DDR2 800 and an ATI 4870.

Reactions: Faisal McMissile

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: littleprince
Hi Dave, where did you get your info?
Raid is certainly possible with the P43 and Intel ICH10R, there are clearly several boards available with RAID.
Also, can certainly OC FSB past 400, although maybe not as great as P45
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5qle/

The "official" max OC FSB on my Gigabyte and on the MSI P43 are both 1600 (400x4).

The Gigabyte for sure lacks RAID, the MSI specs at newegg and on the MSI product page don't mention it. So if you're buying a P43 board you need to make sure that it's one that has it.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
RAID or no RAID does NOT have anything to do with the northbridge which is what you are talking about when you talk about p43 vs p45. What determines weather or not you get the RAID functionality is the southbridge used. It its the ICH10 then there is no RAID. If its the ICH10R then it does have RAID - thats what the R means.

If you look at the specs on MSI's boards (and other manufacturers as well) you will see that even with a P45 northbridge, the less expensive boards use the ICH10 and don't have RAID while the higher end, more expensive boards use the ICH10R and have RAID.

The same was true with the P35. For example my Abit IP35 E has the ICH9 and no RAID while its more expensive brother, the IP35 Pro got the ICH9R and RAID.

So if you want RAID, look for the R at the end of the designation for the southbridge or look for the manufacturer to specifically list RAID as a feature.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
there isnt a huge difference...

technically intel specs say that the p45 can take its 1 x16 slot and split it into 2 x8 slots, and the p43 cant do that. thats about it.

the g45 and g43 are similarly close. i think the only difference is that the g43s video doesnt accelerate HD and the g45 does (and its mostly like just crippled on purpose).

as far as i've read, all these chipsets are actually the same piece of silicon just with parts crippled for marketing.

the G33 and P35 were the same piece of silicon also. All p35s had a IGP core in them just wasting electricity and disabled. if you check the die size and TDP specs for both it prooves it so i would expect the same with the 4 series.

Mar 20, 2018
Hello everyone. Sorry for disturbing you in this old thread which was created and active in the year 2008. The reason why I post in here because I would like to ask whether P45/P43 chipsets are still relevant for medium/light tasks in the year 2018. I have unused following items:
1) Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
2) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
3) ATX case
4) ECS NVidia GeForce GTX 570
5) Galax NVidia GeForce GT 1030
6) 405W power supply unit.

Since I have all the unused items listed above, I'm thinking to purchase P45/P43 chipsets based motherboard as an additional desktop(s) for doing medium/light tasks. I only shortlisted the P45/P43 chipsets based motherboard that supports DDR3 up to 16GB (this is the reason why I only consider P45/P43 chipsets).

If you think that P45/P43 chipsets are no longer relevant in the year 2018 and just a waste of money (even though I only need to purchase motherboard and ram to complete a desktop), I will not proceed this intention.

Thank you and have a nice day.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, those CPUs, while still semi-viable on their own (or if OCed), will require a mobo, and a brand-new ATX P43/P45 mobo to complement them, is either going to be: A) New Chinese junk board, or B) used and abused enthusiast overclocker board, or C) heavily price-gouged new seller with new old stock. (Look at how bad Z97 boards are gouged on like Newegg Marketplace.)

I say that would be throwing good money after bad.

OTOH, if you can get any platform with DDR3, it's a bit cheaper, especially used, than new DDR4 prices.

I built an AM3+ rig a month or two ago, just for fun, with that newly-released Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 board, and an FX-8320E off of ebay. 4Ghz turbo, 8 cores, a little weak in single-threaded tasks, but overall, fairly decent. I had a 16GB kit of DDR3 already to throw in. Mobo cost $55 on sale at Newegg, new, and CPU was $110, new, on ebay. RAM originally cost me maybe $80-100.

I think either an AM3+ build, while the boards and CPUs are still available new, might not be a bad idea. A Haswell rig might not be a bad idea either, IF you can source a new or used (in good condition) Z97 board, and a 4790K or 4770K CPU.

Edit: Oh, the AM3+ FX CPUs will require a dGPU, for the most part. I mean, that Gigabyte board I mentioned, does have a 760G chipset IGP, but it is a bit old. The GT1030 is suitable for a modern system.

The ATX case and PSU may be usable. What brand, model, wattage, and age is the PSU? You can get brand-new 430/450W ones for $30-40, some with longer warranties. (I know that the ThermalTake TR430, the newest version, is not bad, and comes with a 5-year warranty, which is amazing for a budget PSU like that. It's around $40-45.)

Last edited:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Hello everyone. Sorry for disturbing you in this old thread which was created and active in the year 2008. The reason why I post in here because I would like to ask whether P45/P43 chipsets are still relevant for medium/light tasks in the year 2018. I have unused following items:
1) Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
2) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
3) ATX case
4) ECS NVidia GeForce GTX 570
5) Galax NVidia GeForce GT 1030
6) 405W power supply unit.

Since I have all the unused items listed above, I'm thinking to purchase P45/P43 chipsets based motherboard as an additional desktop(s) for doing medium/light tasks. I only shortlisted the P45/P43 chipsets based motherboard that supports DDR3 up to 16GB (this is the reason why I only consider P45/P43 chipsets).

If you think that P45/P43 chipsets are no longer relevant in the year 2018 and just a waste of money (even though I only need to purchase motherboard and ram to complete a desktop), I will not proceed this intention.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Honestly, the performance will not be that great, but it will be mildly tolerable for light tasks if you pair the system with a SSD. But frankly, you're better off buying a refurb Dell OptiPlex for $150 and you'll have a 3rd or 4th generation i3 or i5 and it would run circles around it. I would just sell off your old cpus and the gpu and use your GTX 1030 in it.

Mar 20, 2018
Honestly, those CPUs, while still semi-viable on their own (or if OCed), will require a mobo, and a brand-new ATX P43/P45 mobo to complement them, is either going to be: A) New Chinese junk board, or B) used and abused enthusiast overclocker board, or C) heavily price-gouged new seller with new old stock. (Look at how bad Z97 boards are gouged on like Newegg Marketplace.)

Unfortunately, I have accidentally bought a used Gigabyte GA-EP43T-S3L V1.4 motherboard from ebay 6 hours and 30 minutes before you made this comment. Now I hope that the motherboard that I've ignorantly bought was not abused by the previous owner due to overclocking.

Originally, I've been monitoring a seller from China who listed the following items on ebay:
1) 10 units of used Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G V1.3 Motherboard, USD48.99 each (excluding USD9.99 shipment fee worldwide).
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P43T-ES3G-rev-13#ov
2) 11 units of used Gigabyte GA-EP43T-S3L V1.4 motherboard, USD48.99 each (excluding USD9.99 shipment fee worldwide).
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EP43T-S3L-rev-14#ov

Both items were listed since late December 2017/early January 2018 and were sold one by one for every few days. Yesterday, all the 10 units of the 1st item listed above were sold out while only 1 unit of the second item remaining - I decided to purchase this last available unit.

Maybe it is a mistake for me to purchase the last remaining item hastily. However, I wonder whether the other 20 people who purchased the items earlier that me do consider or not whether the items have been abused by the previous owners due to overclocking.

OTOH, if you can get any platform with DDR3, it's a bit cheaper, especially used, than new DDR4 prices.

Honestly, the performance will not be that great, but it will be mildly tolerable for light tasks if you pair the system with a SSD. But frankly, you're better off buying a refurb Dell OptiPlex for $150 and you'll have a 3rd or 4th generation i3 or i5 and it would run circles around it. I would just sell off your old cpus and the gpu and use your GTX 1030 in it.

Few months ago, my friend bought the following item at the following price:
1) A new Intel Pentium G4560 at USD61.24 (almost the same price with a used Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650).
2) A new MSI B250M Bazooka motherboard at USD104.36 (slightly more expensive than the price of a used Gigabyte motherboard together with shipment cost that I listed above).

I believe that G4560 + B250M might be better than the Q9650 + P43 even though the prices do not differ to much (another reason why purchasing hastily the last remaining Gigabyte GA-EP43T-S3L listed above is a mistake for me), but I wonder why the other 20 customers who bought the same items earlier than me did not consider to purchase G4560 + B250M as well. Were they also ignorant and hasty like me? :p

The GT1030 is suitable for a modern system.

I salvaged and restored my sister's unused HP Business dc5800 small form factor, as shown in the link below. My GT1030 is currently being installed in this PC.
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-bu...0-3ghz-2gb-ram-160gb-hd-vista-business/specs/

The ATX case and PSU may be usable. What brand, model, wattage, and age is the PSU?

The brand is Enermax, the model is Tomahawk ETK405AST, and wattage is 405W, as shown in the link below:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194037

REgarding the age, this PSU is very old. I've been using it with my ancient gaming desktop that uses AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU :p. I will buy a new PSU if you think it is not a good idea for me to use the existing PSU for the Gigabyte GA-EP43T-S3L V1.4 that I've ignorantly and hastily bought (or any other better motherboard that I will buy in the future).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A G4560 and a B250M board (or even an H110M board with a recent BIOS, like I picked up recently for $45 USD shipped) is not a bad choice at all, but then you're faced with DDR4 prices, which are exhorbitant.

If you've already picked up a P43 board, though, I guess, might as well go with that, and the Q9650.

Did you confirm that those boards take DDR3? Gigabyte boards that take DDR3 have a "C" or "T" in their model name string.

Mar 20, 2018
If you've already picked up a P43 board, though, I guess, might as well go with that, and the Q9650.

Did you confirm that those boards take DDR3? Gigabyte boards that take DDR3 have a "C" or "T" in their model name string.

I've already confirmed that the P43 board that I bought support DDR3. You may also check it in the specification section of the motherboard's website at the following link:
http://www.gigabyte.my/Motherboard/GA-EP43T-S3L-rev-14#ov

P43 (and P45) motherboards that suports DDR3 also comes in 2 variants - those that can support DDR3 only up until 8GB and those that can support DDR3 up until 16GB. I purposely select the model that can support DDR3 up until 16GB for better futureproofing.

Regarding the very old 405W PSU that I have, is it ok if I use it with the P43 motherboard that I bought + NVidia GeForce GTX 570? I'm afraid that the ancient 405W PSU is not enough for the GTX 570.

Thank you.

f2bnp

May 25, 2015
Pair the motherboard you bought with the Q9650, GT 1030 and an SSD and the system will be fine for light/medium tasks.

Don't go for 16GB DDR3 on that system, it's probably a waste of time, unless you want to do something really specific that requires loads of RAM, just go with 8GB.

I just read that you have installed the GT 1030 on another system, no biggie but the GTX 570 requires quite a bit of power. A quality 400W PSU might be able to handle the card and Q9650 provided you don't overclock at all, however judging by the fact that this is a 405W PSU that you haven't provided a name for or any specs, I'm willing to bet it's low end, so yeah don't even attempt that. If possible, use the GT1030 on this system or get a decent power supply.

Again, I cannot stress it enough, an SSD is an absolute must. I have a similar system to yours for playing games from 2008-2009, a Q9550, 4GB DDR3, GTX 285. I added an SSD at some point and couldn't believe the difference, it was absolutely massive. What felt like a dog of a system due to slow HDD access, became very fast with the addition of a small SSD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Again, I cannot stress it enough, an SSD is an absolute must. I have a similar system to yours for playing games from 2008-2009, a Q9550, 4GB DDR3, GTX 285. I added an SSD at some point and couldn't believe the difference, it was absolutely massive. What felt like a dog of a system due to slow HDD access, became very fast with the addition of a small SSD.
This!

Mar 20, 2018
I just read that you have installed the GT 1030 on another system, no biggie but the GTX 570 requires quite a bit of power.

Is there any possibility that the GTX 570 will increase my electricity bills significantly? If yes, I think it might be a better idea for me to get another GT 1030.

I just read that you have installed the GT 1030 on another system...

that system is HP Business dc5800 small form factor, based on Intel Q33 Express chipset, as shown in the link below.
https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-bu...0-3ghz-2gb-ram-160gb-hd-vista-business/specs/

Originally this system comes with:
1) Pentium E2200
2) 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MH
3) Intel GMA 3100 integrated graphics
4) Windows XP
5) Western Digital 60GB HDD.

Then I upgraded it to:
1) Core 2 Quad Q9650
2) 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz
3) NVidia GeForce GT 1030
4) Windows 10 Pro
5) Intel 1TB SSD

Don't go for 16GB DDR3 on that system, it's probably a waste of time, unless you want to do something really specific that requires loads of RAM, just go with 8GB.

Regarding my upgraded HP Business dc5800 small form factor mentioned above, so far I am satisfied with the performance of this system for light/medium tasks. However, I notice that the RAM usage is around 7.8GB (out of total of 8GB) whenever I run google chrome, microsoft word 2016, and matlab at the same time. This system can still be upgraded to 4 x 4GB DDR2 800MHz, but I will only do it in few more months because the price of used DDR2 (4GB per stick) is overpriced.

This is also the reason why I plan to go for 16GB DDR3 on the coming p43 system :D

A quality 400W PSU might be able to handle the card and Q9650 provided you don't overclock at all, however judging by the fact that this is a 405W PSU that you haven't provided a name for or any specs, I'm willing to bet it's low end, so yeah don't even attempt that. If possible, use the GT1030 on this system or get a decent power supply.

The brand is Enermax, the model is Tomahawk ETK405AST, and wattage is 405W, as shown in the link below:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194037

I forgot to tell you that I still have another unused Intel 1.2TB SSD and I plan to install it on the coming P43 system :D.

Pair the motherboard you bought with the Q9650, GT 1030 and an SSD and the system will be fine for light/medium tasks.

Currently I only have unused E8600 (because the Q9650 has been installed on the HP Business dc5800 small form factor mentioned above). I will innitially install the E8600 to the coming P43 system and consider to buy another used Q9650 if it will give significant improvement.

Thank you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
However, I notice that the RAM usage is around 7.8GB (out of total of 8GB) whenever I run google chrome, microsoft word 2016, and matlab at the same time. This system can still be upgraded to 4 x 4GB DDR2 800MHz, but I will only do it in few more months because the price of used DDR2 (4GB per stick) is overpriced.

This is also the reason why I plan to go for 16GB DDR3 on the coming p43 system :D
Yeah, definitely go DDR3, instead of messing around with 4GB DDR2 DIMMs. They are rare, finicky, and depending on the chipset / memory controller, there are issues with low- versus high-density sticks. (Avoid the cheaper "AMD ONLY" DDR2 4GB DIMMs on ebay from Chinese vendors, etc.)