What's the difference between irony, conundrum and paradox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggs

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2000
Their "dictionary meanings" are a bit too similar to get a clear view of their definition. In other words, they can be easily interchanged (or not)?

Last edited by a moderator:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Irony: Made of iron
Conundrum: Drum of Conun the Barbarian
Pardox: Something Conun wears

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You seriously need a better dictionary.

Irony:

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

Conundrum:

1. A riddle in which a fanciful question is answered by a pun.
2. A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma: ?the conundrum, thus far unanswered, of achieving full employment without inflation? (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).

Paradox:

1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.
2. One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: ?The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears? (Mary Shelley).
3. An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.
4. A statement contrary to received opinion.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
conundrum and paradox may be use interchangeably (edit: in some cases)... but irony is completely different.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
i could see how you could mix up irony and paradox, but how the f does conundrum come into this?

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Kev
i could see how you could mix up irony and paradox, but how the f does conundrum come into this?

thats quite the conundrum if I do say so myself!

Zontor

Sep 19, 2000
Irony - that this thread isn't locked...and you're asking a forum for an answer...
Conundrum - The decision of whether or not to post....
Paradox - When someone in the forums writes that they have a "true" story...

:)

Richard57

Jul 17, 2014
The evolution of idiosyncratic and colloquial linguistics creates word play or conundrums,.... which can also create a perception between word play and events which one might label 'ironic'.
*conundrum word play eg-* Because the notes for which they are noted are not noted for being musical notes. (Puzzle maven Sam Loyd, 1914)
irony eg-A man who is a traffic cop gets his license suspended for unpaid parking tickets. note the link between what the cop says and does and the reality of the consequences.
Paradox is all reality, beyond a word thing , eg, water breaks the law of physics by expanding when frozen, and without this quality, no life would exist on this planet. Scientists have an observed explanation for molecular folding at 32 degrees F... or a tree view, but miss the forest view, which is 'funny ironic',... paradoxical as well.... and leaves many of them in a befuddling conundrum as they deny that it breaks any laws of physics---even as I put floating ice cubes in my drink! Now that is IRONIC!

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. One of our moderators locked the thread because the previous reply was over nine years ago.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.