What's the difference between IBM/Lenovo T and R series laptop?

Zuerst

Feb 26, 2003
Both seem very familiar but the R series seems to be a lot cheaper? Why is the T series more expensive?

Besides the X series, what is the thinest IBM/Lenovo laptop avaliable now? The widescreen Z series seem to be thinner than the T and R series?

Thanks,

Trippytiger

Mar 3, 2005
The T-series is a fair bit smaller and lighter than equivalent R-series laptops, and they're constructed out of magnesium alloy (for the screen) and titanium reinforced carbon fibre reinforced polymer, while the R-series are simply made out of regular ABS plastic (and lots of it). Internally, I believe they're basically identical, although there are some hardware options available for the T-series that you can't get in an R-series.

Aside from the X-series, the T-series is still the thinnest laptop from Lenovo - the new Z60t is slightly thicker than a 14" T-series, but not by very much.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Zuerst
Both seem very familiar but the R series seems to be a lot cheaper? Why is the T series more expensive?

Besides the X series, what is the thinest IBM/Lenovo laptop avaliable now? The widescreen Z series seem to be thinner than the T and R series?

Thanks,

Lenovo uses a lot of the older R models to reach those low price points... ie; R50e.

They are essentially the same system internally when you buy base level R52 and T43 with integrated graphics.

Like trippy said, the T is lighter nd thinner due to materials used.... ALSO - The 14" T uses a 14" chassis which of course is smaller than the T 15" chassis... Hence the 14" can come in very light and thin com pared to the 14 or 15 R.

T offers a lot more performance options.

Zuerst

Feb 26, 2003
Thanks for the replies guys. Does the Z series use similiar material to the T series?

One more thing. Why does the Lenovo site say that both the R and T series are less than 1" thin when apparently it is not?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
The Z-series does not use a magnesium alloy and I'm pretty sure there is no carbon reinforced plastic, but it is still a very sturdy design. They use a single structure "roll cage" to store the internals that really helps stiffen the chassis up. Build quality of the Z's is inbetween that of an R and T. T is still a bit better, but the Z is more than satisfactory for me.

Dunno why it would say that for an R, as at its thinnest the point the R is not near 1". For a T they may be referring to its thinnest point, not its thickest.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
The Z-series does not use a magnesium alloy and I'm pretty sure there is no carbon reinforced plastic, but it is still a very sturdy design. They use a single structure "roll cage" to store the internals that really helps stiffen the chassis up. Build quality of the Z's is inbetween that of an R and T. T is still a bit better, but the Z is more than satisfactory for me.

Dunno why it would say that for an R, as at its thinnest the point the R is not near 1". For a T they may be referring to its thinnest point, not its thickest.

I disagree,,, The z60t's I've had a chance to see all had the titanium composite cover (not the titanium silver cover) The Z60M's have abs plastic lids as their base option.

The Z also has the new "roll cage" internal to the chassis and newer(re-designed) hard drive shock absorber (that the new T, R, and X will have next year.) so the Z is technically more durable than the T.

Trippytiger

Mar 3, 2005
Titanium composite cover? My understanding was that the Z60t laptops were made of hybrid carbon-fibre reinforced polymer (not titanium reinforced CFRP like the T-series) all around. I have no idea what it means by 'hybrid,' though.

Google 'CFRP' sometime; it's impressive to see what sorts of applications it has outside of ThinkPads.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I just got a r50e two weeks ago. The lower-end ones also have 14" screens, placing them at just under 6lb. 14" T series notebooks are just under 5lb, I believe. Yes, the R is a bit thicker, but the footprint seems similar, and I find my 14" r50e quite portable. I find it weird that the higher-end R's have 15" screens. I prefer the 14".

Some other differences: the R50e has no touchpad, just the trackpoint. That could be a good thing because when you type, accidentally touching the trackpoint can move your cursor. Also, some T notebooks have the fingerprint scanner, and other T's have the hard drive accelerometer chip that can detect drops and park the hard disk heads.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
T-series is built significantly better than the R series.. I love my T42, I can't really see my self buying another brand of laptop, although I'm wondering what will lenovo do now..

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: WackyDan
I disagree,,, The z60t's I've had a chance to see all had the titanium composite cover (not the titanium silver cover) The Z60M's have abs plastic lids as their base option.

The Z also has the new "roll cage" internal to the chassis and newer(re-designed) hard drive shock absorber (that the new T, R, and X will have next year.) so the Z is technically more durable than the T.
I've not played with a Z60t that didn't have the silver cover, maybe that's why. I'll ask