Whats the deal?

doggyfromplanetwoof

Feb 7, 2005
Whats the deal?

I want to upgrade my PC because of Age Of Conan, I currently run a AMD 3800+ Dual Core 939 with 2gb of ram.

I 'was' going to get a quad Q6600 and 4gb of ram, but than I saw how intel is moving into a new socket starting next year or end of this year.

Than I looked into the AM2+ platforms and how I can get a phenom for less money, which is a HUGE plus for me, since I am on a budget.

Question:

Will the new AM3 CPU's fit in a 780g motherboard? I will get a motherboard that supports a 125watt TDP CPU, that may help with the new ones coming out next year and such.

I know a Q600 and 4gb of ram will last a lloooong time, but so will a phenom with 4gb of ram, but if I have a chance to upgrade my CPU say 3 years down the road without buying a entire new system, like I am now. That would be super!!

Comments? Am I thinking way to far ahead? I like to have a upgrade path if I can, and I don't see me having one with intel.

Thanks.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: doggyfromplanetwoof
Question:

Will the new AM3 CPU's fit in a 780g motherboard? I will get a motherboard that supports a 125watt TDP CPU, that may help with the new ones coming out next year and such.

No, AMD has a new socket coming out, that's supposed to be out even before the new Intel socket.

but if I have a chance to upgrade my CPU say 3 years down the road without buying a entire new system, like I am now. That would be super!!

Forget about it. These companies make money by forcing you to buy new hardware. It's part of their business model, and can only be avoided by not owning a computer. Skt. 939 was a once in a lifetime thing, except for Intel's BX chipset, about 6 or 7 years before 939.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
According to AMD, AM3 chips will indeed work in AM2/+ boards; they are both pin compatible. The only caveat will be that AM3 motherboards won't operate with AM2 chips. AM3 boards will also add support for DDR3 and HT3. Boards equipped with the 750 Southbridge will add support for Overdrive 3.0 and RAID 5.

While Intel will be supplanting Socket T with two new sockets at year's end. AFAIK, Socket H will have exclusive compatibility with budget Nehalem chips, due primarily to their decrease in overall pincount. Socket B will see an increase in pincount to allow for those Nehalem's sporting integrated memory controllers along with the latest QuickPath interconnect.

Your greatest hope at 780G future proofing would be buying a trusted-valued mobo brand based around a full ATX with 5-phases, one that guarantees 125W compatibility. And then cross your fingers when it comes to future BIOS support.... this is never a given. ;) Although, AMD has the 45nm quad core Deneb set for launch around late November. The fastest part will start at 2.8GHz with a 95W TDP, and theoretically should work even in the most meagerly designed 780G boards.

Twsmit

Nov 30, 2003
AM3 unlike intel will be providing a backward compatibility path to DDR2. That's one of the biggest strengths right now going forward. Bradley's post is spot on, read his post and I think you will have everything you need to make an informed decision.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Look at ATs article about the 780G regarding 125W processors. They got a list of them which do support it.

That giagbyte 780G supports up to X4 9750 and not the 9850BE.