Whats the deal with Keith Olbermann?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I watch a lot of cable news shows, which means I have also seen my fair share of partisan blowhards. But this guy is truly something special...he can't go two sentences without mentioning at least one of the following:

1) Something negative about Bush
2) Something negative about Bill O'Rielly (Is he pissed he gets trashed in the ratings?)
3) Something negative about Republicans in general.

Does MSNBS try to portray this guy as unbiased? (Im asking because I honestly dont know). I know Fox openly states that Hannity is conservative (duh), but does MSNBC say anything about this tool?

I dont even know why im posting this, I sometimes get a kick out of his show because its so blatantly biased its almost comical. I like how almost all of his guests are reporters for either the NY Times or the LA times offering their "unbiased" opinions. I have to admit though, I feel genuinely embarrassed for the guy when he tries to crack a joke. He has got to be one of the most un-funny people in all of TV...he could give hillary a run for her money.

/2 cents

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: nick1985
I watch a lot of cable news shows, which means I have also seen my fair share of partisan blowhards. But this guy is truly something special...he can't go two sentences without mentioning at least one of the following:

2) Something negative about Bill O'Rielly (Is he pissed he gets trashed in the ratings?)

Does MSNBS try to portray this guy as unbiased? (Im asking because I honestly dont know). I know Fox openly states that Hannity is conservative (duh), but does MSNBC say anything about this tool?

I dont even know why im posting this, I sometimes get a kick out of his show because its so blatantly biased its almost comical. I like how almost all of his guests are reporters for either the NY Times or the LA times offering their "unbiased" opinions. I have to admit though, I feel genuinely embarrassed for the guy when he tries to crack a joke. He has got to be one of the most un-funny people in all of TV...he could give hillary a run for her money.

/2 cents

Why don't you take a minute to look these things up for yourself before posting something?

First of all he's openly partisan, but why do you care so much? It's interesting you would mention Sean Hannity but not Bill O'Reilly (Olbermann's actual counterpart). O'Reilly always tries to claim he's some sort of nonpartisan straight shooter, which is a hilarious lie. Keith Olbermann doesn't. What's also pretty funny is that while FOX admits Hannity is biased, it claims to put him on a show that is on the whole unbiased because of the embarrassing addition of super weak liberal Alan Colmes... but of course in reality the show is pretty much the Sean Hannity show.

I'm sorry you don't like him, but lots and lots of people do. In fact since the start of his show his ratings have gone through the roof... he has one of the fastest growing audiences in cable news. His show has been so successful that it's actually caused MSNBC to change a large amount of its programming to revolve around him.

Pretty much what your post should have said was "I saw a liberal cable opinion show and that makes me mad". Don't worry, there are about 30 other conservative demagogue shows around, so switch back to FOX and sigh with relief. You won't have to worry about your views being challenged over there.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
From CSG-

He should have stuck to sports.

Given your POV and Olbermann's effectiveness, it'd be... unnatural for you to say much of anything else...

Don't worry, though- Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest have a big head start, and have been conditioning the electorate's headset for decades. The truth won't overcome that easily...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Olbermann is biased, and when he bashes Bush, I honestly admit that I love it. He does such a tremendous job of it.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Why don't you take a minute to look these things up for yourself before posting something?

First of all he's openly partisan, but why do you care so much? It's interesting you would mention Sean Hannity but not Bill O'Reilly (Olbermann's actual counterpart). O'Reilly always tries to claim he's some sort of nonpartisan straight shooter, which is a hilarious lie. Keith Olbermann doesn't. What's also pretty funny is that while FOX admits Hannity is biased, it claims to put him on a show that is on the whole unbiased because of the embarrassing addition of super weak liberal Alan Colmes... but of course in reality the show is pretty much the Sean Hannity show.

I'm sorry you don't like him, but lots and lots of people do. In fact since the start of his show his ratings have gone through the roof... he has one of the fastest growing audiences in cable news. His show has been so successful that it's actually caused MSNBC to change a large amount of its programming to revolve around him.

Pretty much what your post should have said was "I saw a liberal cable opinion show and that makes me mad". Don't worry, there are about 30 other conservative demagogue shows around, so switch back to FOX and sigh with relief. You won't have to worry about your views being challenged over there.

Wow, you have a stiffy for Olbermann, don't you? Not surprising, since he is blatantly pro-Obama anti-Clinton as well.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
From CSG-

He should have stuck to sports.

Given your POV and Olbermann's effectiveness, it'd be... unnatural for you to say much of anything else...

Don't worry, though- Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest have a big head start, and have been conditioning the electorate's headset for decades. The truth won't overcome that easily...

"effectiveness"? Sure, whatever your little deluded mind needs to help you sleep.

My comment was meant to be somewhat positive. I actually used to enjoy Olby years back when I was big into sports. Unfortunately he got political and it ruined his sports. But whatever, I could care less about him.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001

/2 cents

Rush Limbaugh does the same thing, only to Democrats. Each side has their extremist partisan wacko's.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I love Olbermann (see sig). However, I don't like his questioning sometimes. I find it awkward that he OVERZEALOUSLY leads guests into answering questions to his liking and agreeing with his viewpoint.

Example: "Don't you think that Hillary Clinton is just buying time and that her pathetic show of solitude in these final days are a sign of some misguided, unfathomable reach for the White House that she has sought ever since she left in 2001"...

To which the guest always answers, "Well, yes Keith"

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The Nick1985 delusion is and remains, that while Fox News and right wing radio are perfectly correct in having a conservative bias, when someone on the left has a left leaning bias, its a damn scandal.

But cheer up Nick1985, I am a self confessed liberal liberal liberal, and I barely even know who Keith Olberman is.

Bottom line, I don't need any biased commentators of any stripe to tell me that GWB&co are idiots. The evidence speaks for itself.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy

/2 cents

"In the age 25-54 demographic, O'Reilly had 507,000 viewers versus Olbermann's 250,000,[11] and O'Reilly's overall viewer pool was larger than Olbermann's (2.2 million viewers a night this year versus Olbermann's 710,000 viewers).[12]"

--wikipedia.

Wow...through the roof indeed! I mean, he has almost a third of the viewers as his counterpart!

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The Nick1985 delusion is and remains, that while Fox News and right wing radio are perfectly correct in having a conservative bias, when someone on the left has a left leaning bias, its a damn scandal.

Lemon where in the fvck did I EVER say that? :confused:

Im not saying its "scandal", Im merely wondering if he is openly liberal or if hes trying to portray himself as some un-biased independant. If its the latter, then yes I have a problem with the show...if its the former then I dont give a flying you-know-what.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Olbermann trashes the right for the disgusting swine that they are, but how will that help in the long run. Those disgusting swine are swine because they were made to feel that way as children and putting them down only cauterizes their wounds, makes them more defensive and more deeply asleep. Some day some how the left, also filled with swines, will have to love the right who is their reflection. A prelude to healing will be an ending of blame. The sickness of self hate is universal.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

It means he has good taste, he's right, and when appropriate, he even has a great, sarcastic sense of humor about it. :thumbsup: :cool:

sprok

Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Harvey

It means he's got good taste, and he's right. :thumbsup: :cool:

I dunno, I kinda wish he wasn't so anti-right. I'm soooo tired of hearing how Bush is some incompetent asshole like if the rest of the country just found out yesterday. There must be something nice to say about the guy; like how he valiantly gave up golf in a sign of solidarity with the troops or whatever.

On another note, I have to wonder what a typical workday must be like for Alan Colmes. I'm honestly curious.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Keith Olbermann is truly something special...he can't go two sentences without mentioning at least one of the following:

Yeah, he's like the human form of ATPN.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sprok

I dunno, I kinda wish he wasn't so anti-right. I'm soooo tired of hearing how Bush is some incompetent asshole like if the rest of the country just found out yesterday.

Unfortunately, he's still a traitor, a murderer, a torturer, a war crminal and a liar. And unforturnately, he's still President. I think Olbermann sees it as his patriotic duty to continue to make that point until that has changed, preferably with Bush and his entire administration on trial for their multiple heinous crimes.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett
Keith Olbermann is truly something special...he can't go two sentences without mentioning at least one of the following:

Reality has a well known liberal bias...........

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

ATPN and Keith Obermann have a well known liberal bias...........

Fixed.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

ATPN and Keith Obermann have a well known liberal bias...........

Fixed.

well, you could take some time to make a case instead of crying "bias."

But, then - that would demand that you think instead of knee-jerk responding.....

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Olbermann is another loser leftie who thinks of himself as unique and amusing on the air. At least John Leibowitz can be legitmately funny.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: sprok
[ There must be something nice to say about the guy; like how he valiantly gave up golf in a sign of solidarity with the troops or whatever.

Olbermann had quite the rant tonight about this subject. He really reamed out GWB. His rants are entertaining the first couple times, but after that it's same old same old. I only watch him sometimes after Hardball when I'm too lazy to change the channel.